Autopsy Hawthorn d Freo by 72pts

Remove this Banner Ad

There are contested marks and contested marks. A contested mark that is an intercept from an opposition kick in the defensive half of the ground is easier than a contested mark from your own teams kick in a forward movement.

Please explain to me why McEvoy is able to get into a forward line and kick goals? We do not create an environment for a tall forward in our setup, this is doing of Lyon and Sumich. It is beyond belief how our forwards get in the way of each other and there is never a clear part of the forward line created..

McEvoy is much more mobile than Sandi. We create the environment but Sandi is too slow to get to the contest. The ball has to be put on top of him otherwise he's out of the picture, and if it's put on top of him it's easy picking for the defenders.

This and the fact that McEvoy has more of a football brain than Sandi and Clarke put together.

This.
So much this.

We need Sandi to do what NicNat does, get a bit more distance on his taps than the normal 1-3m which is really just palming it down. Get the tap to a position where the receiving mid is on the edge of the stoppage area and turning/running away from it. Palming it down into the middle of the stoppage area the mid picking it up always turns into congestion whichever way he goes because the zone is closing in on him. NicNat is getting pretty damn good at it, he rarely does those 1-3m palm-downs to a bloke at his feet.

Sandi is instructed to tap it straight down because the coaches believe we don't have enough outside run and if the ball gets outside we'd get cut to pieces. I tend to think they're right. But now the opposition know exactly what we're going to do so its easy to beat.

Until we bring in some pace and class around the stoppages we'll continue to play the same way and continue to get beaten.

Sandi is instructed to tap it straight down because the coaches believe we don't have enough outside run and if the ball gets outside we'd get cut to pieces. I tend to think they're right. But now the opposition know exactly what we're going to do so its easy to beat.

Until we bring in some pace and class around the stoppages we'll continue to play the same way and continue to get beaten.

Not sure I understand this. Fyfe and Mundy move fast on the outside; Hill and Pearce are fast on the outside.

Pav selfish?!

No one more loyal in the AFL and no one a harder trier. The guy has been a focal point for 15 years. Even Nick Riewoldt had Harvey, Ball, Goddard, and even guys like Gehrig in his department. Pav does not command enough respect at the club who should be renaming ovals and medals after him.

The guy is also so cooked and still getting double teamed at his old age that he's barely able to be selfish. Ludicrous comment. Fyfe gets suspended for brain fades. Why isn't he selfish?
Pav is definitely trying harder this year, but for much of his career he has been focused more on self preservation that team. He is being selfish by insisting he play when he should clearly be rested on a regular basis. I don't subscribe to this BS that there are no replacements for him, and we're never going to discover the right one if they aren't given the opportunity to play.

Fyfe puts the team ahead of his own safety. I am convinced that he won't fulfill his potential until Pav moves on.

Pav is definitely trying harder this year, but for much of his career he has been focused more on self preservation that team. He is being selfish by insisting he play when he should clearly be rested on a regular basis. I don't subscribe to this BS that there are no replacements for him, and we're never going to discover the right one if they aren't given the opportunity to play.

Fyfe puts the team ahead of his own safety. I am convinced that he won't fulfill his potential until Pav moves on.
Taberner is being dropped because he isn't improving. Apeness would have gotten a game for Taberner, but he's injured. After that there is literally no one else. That's why Pav can't be rested, and why, if Pav was to retire tomorrow, we would be scoring about two goals a game. Maximum.

And if Pavlich is all about looking after himself, wouldn't he miss the small games to try and squeeze yet another season out?

Bond and co have made this mess, not Pav.

Taberner is being dropped because he isn't improving. Apeness would have gotten a game for Taberner, but he's injured. After that there is literally no one else. That's why Pav can't be rested, and why, if Pav was to retire tomorrow, we would be scoring about two goals a game. Maximum.

And if Pavlich is all about looking after himself, wouldn't he miss the small games to try and squeeze yet another season out?

Bond and co have made this mess, not Pav.
Pav can't squeeze another season out, that's why he's giving his all this year, he knows it's his last chance.

Taberner is never going to improve if he's not given the opportunity to regularly play full games. I'd bet my left nut that he would have given a better account of himself than Pav or any other forward in Launceston. I'd rather Sandilands was subbed off, because his dominance at the taps isn't giving us an advantage and he can't mark to save his life.

We are in this mess because the coach won't impose himself. Pav continues to be selfish, Walters continues to duck at every opportunity, players putting in minimal effort continue to be excused and peanuts continue to be encouraged out of the woodwork by our poor performances.

Who are the replacements?

Sandi takes bugger all in the forward line. Kicks bugger all goals.....never has .....unfortunately never will

Sandi has the chances to take 5 contested marks a game which would be unbelievably elite. He just fails to clunk them all the time. Always has first hands on to it.

All this talk about Pav, it's not his fault. Service over the last 5-6 games has been awful, we are getting smashed in the middle, don't turn up for 4 quarters and our rebound play out of defense has been reduced to a trickle (Hello MJ and Sutcliffe).
Once we fix the area from halfback to the midfield, the forward line will function again. Barlow playing forward has been the stupidest change to the team for mine.

Sandi takes bugger all in the forward line. Kicks bugger all goals.....never has .....unfortunately never will
Having Sandilands at FF means he will either a) take the mark, b) get a free kick or c) bring the ball to ground. If it means the double team is down there then so be it, everyone else is off the chain.
Clarke can hold his own as main ruckman, he's lost when he is not that man

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having Sandilands at FF means he will either a) take the mark, b) get a free kick or c) bring the ball to ground. If it means the double team is down there then so be it, everyone else is off the chain.
Clarke can hold his own as main ruckman, he's lost when he is not that man

When has consistently done any of the above in the forward line??????

Ok.

Maybe I will say that to the next Freo bloke that comes on our board.

Dude I clearly knew the bloke was joking hence my light hearted banter.
Clearly. Given the timing, do u think it comes across as light hearted banter or piss weak gloating?
If the Freo bloke on your board wasn't contributing I can guarantee the reaction would be the same.

Clearly. Given the timing, do u think it comes across as light hearted banter or piss weak gloating?
If the Freo bloke on your board wasn't contributing I can guarantee the reaction would be the same.
Read any of my posts in this thread and tell me at what stage have I gloated?

I have not mentioned the result once, in fact my last reply before my light hearted banter was to let a Freo supporter know that Fyfe had nothing to worry about as I was about 30 metres away from the incident.

Ok.

Maybe I will say that to the next Freo bloke that comes on our board.

Dude I clearly knew the bloke was joking hence my light hearted banter.
You have a megathread on the Hawthorn board which is tagged "NO OPPOSITION SUPPORTERS". No thread on the Freo board has this.

Always amuses me how timid supporters of Vic clubs are, they have to have these safe spaces where they can be left alone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back