Review Hawthorn defeats Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

So Sicily forward seriously how are we going to solve this issue. It was highlighted in the last 3min of the game twice we kicked down the line not only did we not mark it or bring the ball to ground we got out marked and it came straight back.
He and Jars saved our bacon with late defensive marks. Move him up the ground and we probably lose on the kick in he intercepted.

Rough and Macca weren't able to take marks and our smalls weren't able to keep the ball out of the Blues hands when that happened

Its quite clear that our team chemistry is really lacking at this stage.. to add to that, our young talent that has been around for a few years just isn't good enough ... players like Brand, morrison, Cousins, Mitchell Lewis while may develop to be serviceable, they are not going to get anywhere close to the top pics other clubs have.. I don't mind us getting a top 10 pick this year and not trading it for a change so we can bring in some young elite talent into the club..
Blues were really good but we keep getting beat at stoppages as opposition players stand outside relying on their teammates to win the contested ball out to them,,, and we for some reason always commit too many players to the scramble...
I think that's pretty negative. Our efforts have been immense. Consider all the early draft picks Carlton has had compared to the Hawks team that took the field today. We have had nowhere near the advantages they've had over the past few years, yet we still beat them today.

I’m not sure being in the position he plays and takes a mark with numbers around him can be considered a cheapie. You said right place, right time but that’s exactly where he should be. He wasn’t cheating out the back
So everyone of Tony Lockett’s goals were cheapies because he started in the goal square?

Yeah that’s right, Lockett kicked 1300 cheapies. Of course Chad wasn’t cheating, just didn’t require a lot of effort for either snag.

Next wk line up

Fb Hardwick Brand Stratts
Hb Burgoyne TOB Gunston
C Smith Shiels Scully
HF Wingard Roughy Hendo
FF Impey Sicily Bruest
R Mcevoy Omeara Howe

Bench Worpel,Morrison,Poppy,Lewis

Roughy is doing well up the ground and 2nd ruck.
We need marks in our fwd line Sic & Impey.
Burgyone, Gunston in the defence to sure up the ball use and experience.

Last edited:
He and Jars saved our bacon with late defensive marks. Move him up the ground and we probably lose on the kick in he intercepted.

Rough and Macca weren't able to take marks and our smalls weren't able to keep the ball out of the Blues hands when that happened

I agree with what your saying Sicily holds our defence its a big issue, But if we are going to play scimshaw and stratts together they need to step up, I would be happy to have gunston back there.

The forward line issue is 3yrs old and will not improve when roughy retires we need answers quickly

I can see someone I have on ignore is on a high horse, and riding into stupidville. Hmmm... It's attacking wingard, which is new, but judging from the responses I'm going with snibs.

On another note, Carlton owe us. We did them a solid. They on;y learnt the team song last week, having to sing it again without any prompt cards would have been a bit tough.

Wow. We were truly awful for large portions of that game. Couple of enormous efforts from key players kept us close enough and then a good period got us over the line. We tried really hard to lose it at the end.

Thought McEvoy really really struggled at the start against Kreuzer and that effected our whole game. Maybe it was his hip from the previous week, but once he got his game going we lifted.

2 Roughy - His last 3 week have been good. There is life in the old dog yet.
4 Impey - another solid game down back and some great defensive efforts. Love his dash off half back, especially that run in 3rd quarter that set up the Breust goal
5 Worpel - huge 3rd quarter, didn't do much else. Think he's starting to feel the pinch of being the main man in midfield. He's getting great experience and super charging his develop. Shiels back is big for him
6 Sicily - looks a little injured but still quality.
7 McEvoy - still troubled by that Hip, and took ages to get even with Kreuzer.
8 Lewis - loved his effort, and is offering more than Nash and Cegs. Great for him to keep getting games.
10 O'Meara - career best game. Wonder if Kane thinks this was still the worst trade of all time. 3 votes.
15 Hardwick - another solid game down back, seems to be playing within himself though. Waiting for him to take it up another level offensively.
16 Smith - solid but not spectacular. Need more from him.
17 Howe - decent job on Cripps and plenty of his own ball. His work at the stoppages creates space for JOM. Just needs to be more damaging
19 Gunston - forgettable day. Having an average year, needs to fix his goal kicking.
20 Wingard - effort effort effort, still finding his way
21 Scully - getting to peak fitness and giving plenty. Love watching him buzz through the screen all the time. GUT RUNNING
22 Breust - dominated in 3rd quarter, didn't do anything else
23 O'Brien - had a solid game. I like him more than Mirra in that side as the 2nd big defender.
24 Stratton - just going through the motions, average
26 Shiels - welcome back Pup. Was enormous today.
28 Puopolo - putting in effort, but getting few rewards
30 Brand - struggled major time today, better late. Still can't see him having a future long term.
31 Henderson - worst game of the year. Little impact
35 Scrimshaw - solid, keep developing. Still makes a few blues
46 Cousins - average game, good goal with that crook ankle.

This might be overly simplistic...

But I'd love to see our forwards playing forward. I do understand delivery was average in the first half, we have a couple of key defenders out and Clarko like to share the load in the middle of the ground etc etc.

But I really do think our forward 50 entries are SO much more dangerous when we have Roughy, Gunston, Breust, Puopolo and Wingard up there. Can't think of many defences that could hold that fwd line down for long. Two marking targets - one on top of a pack the other on the lead. Plus a bunch of plays that can pick up the ground ball or lead and mark.

It annoys me to watch Roughy palm down a tap in the back pocket and then have Gunston kick it to Breust.... and we are on the wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Votes today
3. Omera
2. Shiels
1. Impey

But i also thought the way Tim Obrien dominated his position in 2nd half, Wingard came to life. Scully getting better and better. Rough working his way into the game. Bruest finally getting going. And 2nd half mentions to Cousins, Worpel, Captain, Gunstan (just) and Hardwick. Lots of upside.
No love for Sicily with a lazy 28 possessions and 12 marks?

Jezuz, the melts after winning rival the melts after losing. What a bunch of entitled sooks in this forum.

verucatantrum.gif

I can see someone I have on ignore is on a high horse, and riding into stupidville. Hmmm... It's attacking wingard, which is new, but judging from the responses I'm going with snibs.

On another note, Carlton owe us. We did them a solid. They on;y learnt the team song last week, having to sing it again without any prompt cards would have been a bit tough.

Will someone tell this flog what he is missing out on?

Pleased that Cousins is a mid that is kicking goals, still learning the trade but working hard to get forward, could have had another but dropped an easy chest mark in the third qtr.
He was actually being hidden in the forward line because he can't run out of sight of roughy on a dark night past the first run he has in the middle after half time at best. He wasn't working forward he was starting in the pocket.

He was serviceable early in the year. He's a liability overall at the moment as teams target him the other way. Geelong patented it Carlton copied it today.

Needs a rest to recharge 4 me. Hopefully next year he can come in with a higher fitness base and spend the off season at sprint training 2 b quicker as well much like Sam did early in his career.

He has the natural football skills 2 be a 150 game plus, but unless his fitness and speed improve over time he will struggle 2 get 2 50. I'm not giving up on him but two teams in a row have targeted him the other way and him chasing them has impacted his game attacking wise because hes 2 tired to do what he's naturally good at.

Nb: teams attacking players the other way hasn't hurt abletts career nor is it stopping cripps career as he's currently brownlow favorite. But they have bigger tanks than cousins atm and do more damage to compensate 4 it.

My dear god, my birthday tomorrow and nearly had a heart attack.
Hated the fact we got 6 goals down, loved the fact we were able to turn it around and hit the lead. Also loved when headed in the last we still fought on to get the win.
Omeara, my god. Incredible,
Loved shiels back, my god we’ve missed him.
Worpel never stops trying
Bruests 3rd qtr was incredible, well second half was. Firs half.....not so much
And Sicily again incredible

Must admit I’ve just watched a replay of the first half, wouldn’t be hard to exceed that output in the second half.
He was our best performed forward at half time, and extended on that in the second half.

He was actually being hidden in the forward line because he can't run out of sight of roughy on a dark night past the first run he has in the middle after half time at best. He wasn't working forward he was starting in the pocket.

He was serviceable early in the year. He's a liability overall at the moment as teams target him the other way. Geelong patented it Carlton copied it today.

Needs a rest to recharge 4 me. Hopefully next year he can come in with a higher fitness base and spend the off season at sprint training 2 b quicker as well much like Sam did early in his career.

He has the natural football skills 2 be a 150 game plus, but unless his fitness and speed improve over time he will struggle 2 get 2 50. I'm not giving up on him but two teams in a row have targeted him the other way and him chasing them has impacted his game attacking wise because hes 2 tired to do what he's naturally good at.

Nb: teams attacking players the other way hasn't hurt abletts career nor is it stopping cripps career as he's currently brownlow favorite. But they have bigger tanks than cousins atm and do more damage to compensate 4 it.

Maybe the ankle is still inhibiting him.

Did roll it again in the last today also.

Something that strikes me so far this year is the consistency in who are our "good players" and who are our "average players".

That is we seem to have the same 6 to 8 players in our best 10 every week (JOM, Sicily, Hendo, Big Boy, Impey, Worps, Scrimmers, etc).

That tells me that if we can just get the average players to lift their output we would slingshot from a middle of the road side to top eight.

And given that many of these under performing players are senior players (Gunners, Stratts, Smith, etc) this should be achievable (you would hope).

Also the fact that many of our best performing players are currently in the backline (Sic, Impey & Scrimmers) is a bonus as teams struggle to get big scores against us which keeps us in games right up to the end.

We looked so much better with quicker ball movement in the 2nd half. Unfortunately it took us getting 6 goals down before we decided to take the game on more. We need to play on more instead of that slow build up, chip short crap we played in the 1st half which nullifies our 2 biggest strengths which is outside run and dangerous small/mediums forwards. Hats off to TO’B who looks much more comfortable at CHB.

His first half was rubbish. But he was in a tip.
His first half was no worse than 85% of the players out there.

Quit being a dick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back