Review Hawthorn defeats Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

100% on the money here! Though I agree with posters saying that he does get held from time to time, poppy is holding up his hands/arms halfway through running to the ball almost all the time! That’s because when a player loses a yard of pace, they will try and find any way they can to get a free kick. He never did this back in at his peak 2015-2016 because he kept finding space through his speed but doesn’t seem to have it anymore. He isn’t slow or anything but not quite the speed racer he use to be.

Unpopular opinion maybe but Pops has always played for free kicks

Had to go out late in the third quarter, damn these 3.20pm games! bHowever, may have been a blessing in disguise having now watched the last quarter :eek: Great to get the win though, glad I didn't give up hope at quarter time ;)

I havent seen the first half.... i almost passed out at the end.....i thought the blue would get a chance to kick and we were gone.... luckily i was wrong... phew......

Yeah me too! I didn't hear the siren so thought he had a kick for goal, luckily I was watching on replay so knew he didn't get the goal (for whatever reason).

The thing that confuses me is that I'm not sure how Shiel ever had haters. He's been a consistent 20 touch and 6 tackle a game player since the day he debuted, he can attack and he can hit the scoreboard. He's forgotten about with all the other talent we have, but he's been a leader of the club for years and he's still only 27.
Shiels has always done the meat & potatoes work in close allowing others to benefit. What is absolutely undeniable though is the work he's put in over the last season and a bit re: his disposal.
It wasn't too long ago that I'd groan if Shiels was having a shot on goal but now he's one of our more reliable converters, on both sides of his body. And as a bonus the ball is spinning correctly too!
Glad he's getting some kudos, we look infinitely better when Liam is out there

I agree with what your saying Sicily holds our defence its a big issue, But if we are going to play scimshaw and stratts together they need to step up, I would be happy to have gunston back there.

The forward line issue is 3yrs old and will not improve when roughy retires we need answers quickly
We need two of him really. He's our most creative user off half back.

"Paul, when you put your hand up like that, i won't pay a free"

Umpire said to Poppy today.

I am glad he said it, cause Poppy gets held all the time, but puts his hands up, and never gets any frees. I bet it is an umpire wide agreement. So i expect to see Poppy not appealing for any more frees from now on. He deserves them, but clearly there is a reason he doesn't get them.
I wonder why he puts his hand up? Because the umps are letting it go. That's just a bullshit excuse from the ump really.

You see fowards get held all the time and sometimes the ump blows the whistle and sometimes they don't, it's a crap shoot but when you have an ump saying they won't pay a free that's there if the player puts his arm up they can * right off, that's just immaturity from the official.

Now if he'd said stop appealing for frees that aren't there, that's different, but he didn't, he said I'm not going to pay that if you ask me to

"Paul, when you put your hand up like that, i won't pay a free"

Umpire said to Poppy today.

I am glad he said it, cause Poppy gets held all the time, but puts his hands up, and never gets any frees. I bet it is an umpire wide agreement. So i expect to see Poppy not appealing for any more frees from now on. He deserves them, but clearly there is a reason he doesn't get them.
Based on that logic, Ben Brown should never get another free kick ever again.

Scrimshaw isn't far off being a second Sicily IMO.

I don't think Scrimshaw has the flair and bravado of Sicily to go for his ridiculous kicks. Might have the skill but that dare is instinctive.

That being said I think having two Sicily's will either be the greatest thing on earth or absolute chaos.

You're having a laugh right?

Just let Jack develop and become his own player. He's not playing the same role as Sicily and he has 41 less rebounds than him so far

You're having a laugh right?

Just let Jack develop and become his own player. He's not playing the same role as Sicily and he has 41 less rebounds than him so far

Hold on, this was in response to you saying we needed a second Sicily. Nowhere did I say he was anywhere near the output, but he's showing creativity in rebounding and intercepting, as well as peeling off and marking in a similar way to Sicily. He's not far off by showing similar attributes in the way that he's currently playing.

I agree he should be left to become his own player but "You're having a laugh right?" is a bit of a haughty way to reply to a relatively innocuous comment.

Shiels has always done the meat & potatoes work in close allowing others to benefit. What is absolutely undeniable though is the work he's put in over the last season and a bit re: his disposal.
It wasn't too long ago that I'd groan if Shiels was having a shot on goal but now he's one of our more reliable converters, on both sides of his body. And as a bonus the ball is spinning correctly too!
Glad he's getting some kudos, we look infinitely better when Liam is out there

Bingo, over the last season he has slowly become Mr Reliable in front of the sticks.
Great to see a guy who has been around 10 years admit to himself he has areas to improve in.
Well done Liam.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need two of him really. He's our most creative user off half back.

I wonder why he puts his hand up? Because the umps are letting it go. That's just a bullshit excuse from the ump really.

You see fowards get held all the time and sometimes the ump blows the whistle and sometimes they don't, it's a crap shoot but when you have an ump saying they won't pay a free that's there if the player puts his arm up they can **** right off, that's just immaturity from the official.

Now if he'd said stop appealing for frees that aren't there, that's different, but he didn't, he said I'm not going to pay that if you ask me to

If you go full karate kid like Dangerfield then?

Does anyone think that the players were under instructions to play a conservative game style in the first half and move to attacking mode in the 2nd half?

Perhaps it backfired a bit as I'm sure Clarko didn't want to be down 30 at half time but I'm wondering how much was the turn around due to strategy, our strategy or Carlton's strategy and did we take the game or did Carlton stop.....

On CLT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Does anyone think that the players were under instructions to play a conservative game style in the first half and move to attacking mode in the 2nd half?

Perhaps it backfired a bit as I'm sure Clarko didn't want to be down 30 at half time but I'm wondering how much was the turn around due to strategy, our strategy or Carlton's strategy and did we take the game or did Carlton stop.....

If our strategy is to be utter fumbly spuds who can't run or chase then you might be right. I think JOM didn't get the memo though.

I doubt that very much. We were just trash that first half.

Did some good bloody pressure acts which resulted in goals. His last couple of weeks has been good which is great to see.
Have a look at the last 2 minutes. All we needed him to do was to halve either one of two contests and we were safe. He couldn’t do it. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him retire mid-season.

Finished reading the game day thread today. The panic and the melts omg. Autopsy thread hmmmm not many of them made the transition over here. Bandwagoners?

What a terrible 'effort' from most in the first half.
I thought this about some of our "supporters" too.

Interesting, Scrimshaw really is a cross between Sicily and Birchall.
Birchall with intercept marking?

He's actually only played 10 AFL games, so very early to make a prediction.

I don't think Clarko is instructing the players to be conservative. Though I have wondered if like a chess game he let's the oppo have the 1st move.

Yes maybe....

One other reply to my post was regarding us being terrible and fumbly. That can happen if the team setup tactically in a conservative way and thus perhaps a conservative mindset. In saying conservative, I mean a game plan that limits running as much as possible- not that the players would be instructed to not run
I don't think Clarko is instructing the players to be conservative. Though I have wondered if like a chess game he let's the oppo have the 1st move.

I'm glad all the Howe haters have shut up.

I love having the guy in the side. Bull of a player and has done great tagging jobs, whilst getting his own ball. So good to have grunt and size in the middle.
Yeah, I love the way he goes about it. Is a big unit and has a fair bit of mongrel in him. Has beaten some stars of the game the last couple of years.

Finished reading the game day thread today. The panic and the melts omg. Autopsy thread hmmmm not many of them made the transition over here. Bandwagoners?

I thought this about some of our "supporters" too.

I take you were comfortable with the 30 point deficit, and the teams efforts at half time then? Seriously, why aren’t we allowed to vent our frustrations? As good as Carlton were early, we were equally as bad.

Was a seriously good turn around after half time, and then we go back into our shells and almost throw it away.

Thought Jags, Shiels, Impey and Sic put in great four quarter efforts. Big boy lifted after quarter time along with a few others.

Lets hope we don’t give Melbourne a five goal head start this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back