Review Hawthorn defeats Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

We need two of him really. He's our most creative user off half back.

I wonder why he puts his hand up? Because the umps are letting it go. That's just a bullshit excuse from the ump really.

You see fowards get held all the time and sometimes the ump blows the whistle and sometimes they don't, it's a crap shoot but when you have an ump saying they won't pay a free that's there if the player puts his arm up they can **** right off, that's just immaturity from the official.

Now if he'd said stop appealing for frees that aren't there, that's different, but he didn't, he said I'm not going to pay that if you ask me to

I'd prefer it if umpires never paid a free kick to a player who appeals for it

You stopped playing the ball - no free for you

You've asked for deliberate - no free for you

The problem is that the umpires pay free kicks for players who appeal for it or stop playing the ball the time - can't pick and choose this stuff

The problem is that the umpires pay free kicks for players who appeal for it or stop playing the ball the time - can't pick and choose this stuff
Yeah if they never paid an appeal to anyone they'd stop but the do so it won't

"Paul, when you put your hand up like that, i won't pay a free"

Umpire said to Poppy today.

I am glad he said it, cause Poppy gets held all the time, but puts his hands up, and never gets any frees. I bet it is an umpire wide agreement. So i expect to see Poppy not appealing for any more frees from now on. He deserves them, but clearly there is a reason he doesn't get them.

Geelong should sit last on the free kick ladder if this was an instruction

During the Geelong game yesterday a joke was made about Geelong players automatically appealing for a free kick everytime a congestion occurs and did they train for it

I take you were comfortable with the 30 point deficit, and the teams efforts at half time then? Seriously, why aren’t we allowed to vent our frustrations? As good as Carlton were early, we were equally as bad.

Was a seriously good turn around after half time, and then we go back into our shells and almost throw it away.

Thought Jags, Shiels, Impey and Sic put in great four quarter efforts. Big boy lifted after quarter time along with a few others.

Lets hope we don’t give Melbourne a five goal head start this week.
Yeah I was reasonably comfortable with where we were at 1/2 time. Watching, one could sense that the Hawks were gaining some ascendancy in the contest, couldn't you? The 1st quarter was about as bad as you'd like to see but even in that if you looked hard enough you could find some slight positives. I will admit the start of the 2nd quarter didn't have me brimming with confidence though.
I was a bit staggered by the venting in the game day thread, perhaps some should pause a bit and think 'is this what I really want others to read?' before they press send.
It's good to know that there is still a bit of fight left in us yet

Yeah I was reasonably comfortable with where we were at 1/2 time. Watching, one could sense that the Hawks were gaining some ascendancy in the contest, couldn't you? The 1st quarter was about as bad as you'd like to see but even in that if you looked hard enough you could find some slight positives. I will admit the start of the 2nd quarter didn't have me brimming with confidence though.
I was a bit staggered by the venting in the game day thread, perhaps some should pause a bit and think 'is this what I really want others to read?' before they press send.

I agree, but was concerned if we ran out of legs. I Guess the injuries helped us this week

Jezuz, the melts after winning rival the melts after losing. What a bunch of entitled sooks in this forum.

verucatantrum.gif
I remember there was whinging a few years back about a 100+ point win "not being overly convincing" but trust me when I say this- If we had lost yesterday the melts would have been thermonuclear.

I agree, but was concerned if we ran out of legs. I Guess the injuries helped us this week
A few have wondered why we didn't put carlton to the sword in the last? A few years ago it was common knowledge that we trained for such finishes. I have a sneaking suspicion that it is being tested with our young lads.

I wonder why he puts his hand up? Because the umps are letting it go. That's just a bullshit excuse from the ump really.

You see fowards get held all the time and sometimes the ump blows the whistle and sometimes they don't, it's a crap shoot but when you have an ump saying they won't pay a free that's there if the player puts his arm up they can **** right off, that's just immaturity from the official.

Now if he'd said stop appealing for frees that aren't there, that's different, but he didn't, he said I'm not going to pay that if you ask me to

On any level, can you see how appealing for the free kick during play can make the umpires job harder?

-The umpire has to chose between whether a player has been held back or pulled back or whether there has been some simulation or exageration. It is not easy to do. It is often marginal. It would help the umpire if all indications are that Poppy is 100% concentrating on the ball, and not on getting the umpires attention. Surely that helps with the umpire concluding there was no exageration.

Appealing also exposes the umpire to looking like an idiot if the replay shows that the free kick was wrong and he just fell for the players appeal.

And when the ump doesn't pay a free kick the appeal makes the umpires look like they got it wrong in the eyes of supporters wanting the free. More pressure.

The umpires have trouble enough with the crowd appealing for frees. We know it impacts their judgment. Thus "home town" umpiring statistics.

All around the umpires naturally want to stamp out players appealing because it makes their decision harder, and also opens them up to more criticism.

All this because umpires are human.

I think the umpire was actually trying to do Poppy a favor by telling him why he wasn't getting holding frees... in lots of games. Given more time the ump probably would have explained himself in more detail. The equation of "if you appeal" then "no free kick" is probably an oversimplification in the moment.

What I personally have no tolerance for is if Poppy gets negatively judged by the umpires for appealing for frees, and other players from other clubs do not.

Last edited:

I would love that!

How the feck did Cripps get AFLCA votes?

Cause Cripps
Cause Fyfe
Cause Ablett
Cause Dangerfield
Cause Martin

You know the drill - if your a favourite then it doesn’t matter how you play

Cause Cripps
Cause Fyfe
Cause Ablett
Cause Dangerfield
Cause Martin

You know the drill - if your a favourite then it doesn’t matter how you play

I thought it was only Chris Scott that ensured his Fab 3 had their names printed on the voting cards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On any level, can you see how appealing for the free kick during play can make the umpires job harder?

-The umpire has to chose between whether a player has been held back or pulled back or whether there has been some simulation or exageration. It is not easy to do. It is often marginal. It would help the umpire if all indications are that Poppy is 100% concentrating on the ball, and not on getting the umpires attention. Surely that helps with the umpire concluding there was no exageration.

Appealing also exposes the umpire to looking like an idiot if the replay shows that the free kick was wrong and he just fell for the players appeal.

And when the ump doesn't pay a free kick the appeal makes the umpires look like they got it wrong in the eyes of supporters wanting the free. More pressure.

The umpires have trouble enough with the crowd appealing for frees. We know it impacts their judgment. Thus "home town" umpiring statistics.

All around the umpires naturally want to stamp out players appealing because it makes their decision harder, and also opens them up to more criticism.

All this because umpires are human.

I think the umpire was actually trying to do Poppy a favor by telling him why he wasn't getting holding frees... in lots of games. Given more time the ump probably would have explained himself in more detail. The equation of "if you appeal" then "no free kick" is probably an oversimplification in the moment.

What I personally have no tolerance for is if Poppy gets negatively judged by the umpires for appealing for frees, and other players from other clubs do not.
If they weren't so inconsistent and didn't miss so much on a regular basis that would be fine.

If they didn't pay frees that were appealed for on a regular basis that would be fine.

Players get held, they play the ball no whistle, happens a few times so they get frustrated because it's not picked up and the appeal, ump goes yeah free was there but you appealed so no free for you.
Then you don't get one for the rest of the game because you appealed for one.

Personally I think the AFL and the rules of the game committee are destroying any chance of a well umpired game.

I also wonder why we don't have full time umpires and why they can't make mistakes.

All that said. Telling someone who deserves a free they aren't going to get one because they appealed for it is is crap though. If the free was there it should be paid, if you blew the whistle he wouldn't have to put his hands up and ask why.

It's like retaliation frees, they aren't umpiring to the rules, they have no feel for the game

The thing that confuses me is that I'm not sure how Shiel ever had haters. He's been a consistent 20 touch and 6 tackle a game player since the day he debuted, he can attack and he can hit the scoreboard. He's forgotten about with all the other talent we have, but he's been a leader of the club for years and he's still only 27.

I can still remember us taking him as a bottom ager, going to high school and training with us. Unbelievable its 10 years now and hes 27!! Time flies..

"Paul, when you put your hand up like that, i won't pay a free"

Umpire said to Poppy today.

I am glad he said it, cause Poppy gets held all the time, but puts his hands up, and never gets any frees. I bet it is an umpire wide agreement. So i expect to see Poppy not appealing for any more frees from now on. He deserves them, but clearly there is a reason he doesn't get them.
Selwood, Ablett and Dangerfield on the other hand always appeal for frees and often get them......so WTF???

I don't think Clarko is instructing the players to be conservative. Though I have wondered if like a chess game he let's the oppo have the 1st move.

He often tries out things in the first quarter (or even half) before settling down. The most obvious example for me was the Mission accomplished game where the Cluster got rolled out for a lot of the first half before being put away until the GF

Yeah, I probably used the wrong time reference, but realistically, at half time we had kicked what 3 goals, against Carlton. I can understand why there would be some melts, and so long as they don't get too personal I'm ok with that. I hoped that we would turn it around, but was far from comfortable personally!

I stopped reading the game day thread after half time, so perhaps it continued, but anyone posting melts up until then I can fully understand.

He often tries out things in the first quarter (or even half) before settling down. The most obvious example for me was the Mission accomplished game where the Cluster got rolled out for a lot of the first half before being put away until the GF

Well, Clarko can shelve whatever the experiment was in the first quarter as it was clearly not a good one!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back