Autopsy Hawthorn defeats Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Take out O'Brien and put in Shiels and that's the best 22. Can't carry players like O'Brien in finals regardless of match-ups. Unfortunately for Hartung he will miss out again but he failed to capitalise when he had his chance. WhiteX brings experience, composure & has underrated skills. Has a big accurate kick. O'Rourke is getting better each week & Hill has bounced back really well. Langford v O'Rourke for the 22nd spot going to be interesting. O'Rourke has much better skills so should get the nod.

Take out O'Brien and put in Shiels and that's the best 22. Can't carry players like O'Brien in finals regardless of match-ups. Unfortunately for Hartung he will miss out again but he failed to capitalise when he had his chance. WhiteX brings experience, composure & has underrated skills. Has a big accurate kick. O'Rourke is getting better each week & Hill has bounced back really well. Langford v O'Rourke for the 22nd spot going to be interesting. O'Rourke has much better skills so should get the nod.

Agreed with all of this

Grabbed at his upper leg just under his buttocks after a centre bounce contest in the last quarter.
It was a centre bounce late in the third qrt , he played the first half of the last qtr before being rested . No worries. He has missed a lot of football so no need to work him into the ground when the game is in the bag. Good player management.

This is the best shape the list has been in in Years. Langford, Howe, Litherland, Hartung, Lovell and Stewart are incredible depth players to cover injuries and suspension.
Hill will leave but one of Tom Mitchell or Jaeger O'Mera will join the club next year. I have no doubt there will be one or two others.
The 4 "oldies" will all go around again as well. There is still another 2 years to pinch another one.

For mine the best thing was the fringe players. Otherwise (apart from the last quarter) it was an inaccurate and untidy game with only one quarter required to crush the insignificant joke of a team that is Richmond.

Brand makes some green mistakes but competed well, marked well and wasn't afraid to run off his man to set up some passages. Clean disposal to go along with 18 disposals. Valuable structural player too as Gibbo really got off the leash.

Whitecross looks sharp, clean and composed. Starting to look like the player he was before injury.

People thought O'Rourke was quiet, and he was when playing across half forward. But in the last quarter, when given reign in the midfield, racked up 8 or so disposals, a goal and ~three score involvements. For mine he just needs continuity and perhaps another preseason.

Sicily was electric. Quiet first half, but lifted drastically in the second with both his forward impact and his defensive efforts. Will be a star.

Timmy O was the only real one that was dissapointing. Couldn't really impose himself on the game and didn't really get much of the ball either. Can't fault him for trying as he always tries to tackle and chase, but he was probably the most dissapointing player in our side today.
Echoes my thoughts almost exactly.

I'd only watch the 4th quarter again.

Its gonna take weeks for me to get the wretched stench of the 3rd quarter out of my brain.

I'm like this every time I think of it:

4YMgGH.gif

Funny isn't it.. up until Whitey came back last year and had a mediocre game he was considered an instant in and a huge plus for our side.. slotted right back in the year before until that damn ACL happened again.. and we were all sitting here going "hey.. they are just keeping him for depth".. then he comes in and has two stellar games (pretty much how he used to play) and we are all amazed.
He reminds me so much of Lewis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obrien had rance on him most of the night?

It was a centre bounce late in the third qrt , he played the first half of the last qtr before being rested . No worries. He has missed a lot of football so no need to work him into the ground when the game is in the bag. Good player management.
Holy ******* Jesus - I've seen it all now.

Stratton was brilliant today. Such an underated player. If you didn't see TFS on Thursday night, Crawf had Stratts at no.5 for the most important players at the club which might have surprised alot of oursiders. You watch him closely at the ground and you really appreciate how much he helps out his fellow backman but leaving his own man to support a teammate.

Stratton was brilliant today. Such an underated player. If you didn't see TFS on Thursday night, Crawf had Stratts at no.5 for the most important players at the club which might have surprised alot of oursiders. You watch him closely at the ground and you really appreciate how much he helps out his fellow backman but leaving his own man to support a teammate.
Had him in my Yabby votes. Almost every one of his acts today was a 1%er effort.

Clarko would go to bed each night with a framed photo of Stratton next to his bed.

Spot on, was at the game and thought he was best on the ground, back to or better than his 2012 form. Huge work rate, great closing speed, does not fumble, sticks the tackle, clunks his marks, cool under pressure , all australian half back for mine, but he does fly under the radar, just how he and the club likes it.

Heard Cometti say something about Whitey, maybe in the third, about the respect the Hawks had for him. Something along the lines of, 'if he wasn't a footballer, he'd be PM'. did anyone catch what was actually said? I can only imagine it was a vote of confidence in his leadership, but these days, with PMs, could mean anything?!?:p
Dennis was fairly gushing about him at tmes. His mention of poise was spot on though I thought.

I hope we can find a place for him on our list next year, but if he goes elsewhere, would there be picks in it, or just gone as a FA? FWIW, I'd like to think he would try and make sure the Hawks got something in return. The way he's playing he will be rewatded one way or another.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back