Hawthorn defender Kyle Hartigan in hot water over off-ball hit on Sam Walsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Hartigan is the only player we have who can stop a big power forward like Ben King next week, Franklin the game after etc. Why would you want him rubbed out? Plus, why isnt Walsh accountable for charging at a player off the ball, causing him to respond? Had he not run at Hartigan it wouldnt have happened. Walsh was attempting an illegal block and how was Hartigan to know he wasnt going to belt him? I guess all that info will go to the tribunal. There also seems there is no vision that clearly shows Hartigan got him high, other than Walsh falling to the ground but that could have been for any pain.

Lol at some Hawthorn supporters actually more outraged by the footage being shown than the actual hit.

“yeah, but if no one filmed it, we would not even be talking about it”.

Lol at some Hawthorn supporters actually more outraged by the footage being shown than the actual hit.

“yeah, but if no one filmed it, we would not even be talking about it”.
Why would any Hawthorn supporters be "outraged" by the actual hit?

Were you "outraged" by Astbury throwing an elbow in Round 1? Were you "outraged" that he wasn't suspended ?

It was a dog act by Hartigan, but Sam Walsh is fine. Hartigan deserves his 3 match ban. No problems with that.
Elbow strikes are dangerous, but luckily there was no real damage done in this instance.

This might be the first instance of opposition fans acting as "MRO" and posting their evidence online for the AFL to scrutinise.
That's the most interesting part of this story.

It's a new dawn for the AFL.

I think that's what myself and other Hawks fans were posting their concerns about. Times are changing. It's going to be really interesting when something like this involves a high profile player from a Big 4 club during September rather than some no-name hack from a bottom four team in May.

Last edited:

Were you "outraged" by Astbury throwing an elbow in Round 1? Were you "outraged" that he wasn't suspended ?

It was a dog act by Hartigan, but Sam Walsh is fine. Hartigan deserves his 3 match ban. No problems with that.
Elbow strikes are dangerous, but luckily there was no real damage done in this instance.

This might be the first instance of opposition fans acting as "MRO" and posting their evidence online for the AFL to scrutinise.

I think that's what myself and other Hawks fans were posting their concerns about. Times are changing.
It's going to be really interesting when something like this involves a high profile player from a Big 4 club during September.

You think they didn’t have their own behind the goals vision to support the suspension? Nothing is hidden on an AFL field anymore.

You think they didn’t have their own behind the goals vision to support the suspension? Nothing is hidden on an AFL field anymore.
Yes, we all know the AFL have their camera behind the goals to capture these types of incidents. We've all seen that footage now. But there was no mention of this incident after the game by the media, nor any potential investigation by the AFL. No reports lodged by umpires, nor any official complaint from Carlton

It took someone from Carlton football club / cheer squad to post their footage on Twitter for this to grow legs and get someone from the AFL to view their own footage and lay a charge against Hartigan.

You don't seriously think the AFL pays a team of Oompa Loompas to study 18 hours of 'behind the goals' footage from 9 separate games every weekend and check to see if there's any reportable incidents?

They react to complaints, obvious melees and various narks in the media who draw their attention to this stuff.

Whenever a player goes down, there's somebody who probably makes a note of it and the time. This incident went unnoticed because it was so far away from the action, with only a few seconds left, no reaction from any other players and Walsh was unhurt.

Last edited:
Why haven't we seen it?
The media show everything - usually

No idea.

Yes, we all know the AFL have their camera behind the goals to capture these types of incidents. We've all seen that footage now. But there was no mention of this incident after the game by the media, nor any potential investigation by the AFL. No reports lodged by umpires, nor any official complaint from Carlton

It took someone from Carlton football club / cheer squad to post their footage on Twitter for this to grow legs and get someone from the AFL to view their own footage and lay a charge against Hartigan.

You don't seriously think the AFL pays a team of Oompa Loompas to study 18 hours of 'behind the goals' footage from 9 separate games every weekend and check to see if there's any reportable incidents?

Of course I don’t believe that, though that is exactly what should happen.

This is no different to the media releasing and scrutinising footage.

I think you need to redirect your anger towards the AFL and their own processes.

could you please find these oompa loompas and give them a job as MRO
Couldn't do a worse job than christian currently is

Hartigan shouldn’t have lifted his forearm. But wtf was Walsh playing at? he had no business being anywhere near there.

We all know what he was playing at and why he did that, and that all teams do it. But running away from the ball then off your line to interfere with a player's ability to contest the ball should not be tolerated by the AFL. So I have some sympathy for Hartigan here, what was he supposed to do?

I think that's what myself and other Hawks fans were posting their concerns about. Times are changing. It's going to be really interesting when something like this involves a high profile player from a Big 4 club during September rather than some no-name hack from a bottom four team in May.

‘like I said, karma bus.

Hartigan shouldn’t have lifted his forearm. But wtf was Walsh playing at? he had no business being anywhere near there.

We all know what he was playing at and why he did that, and that all teams do it. But running away from the ball then off your line to interfere with a player's ability to contest the ball should not be tolerated by the AFL. So I have some sympathy for Hartigan here, what was he supposed to do?
Not raise his elbow

To coin a basketball term, he was laying a screen for Harry to make a clean lead. Nothing unusual. In fact, the Dogs just did it to perfection just before half time for a goal.

To coin a basketball term, he was laying a screen for Harry to make a clean lead. Nothing unusual. In fact, the Dogs just did it to perfection just before half time for a goal.

Yes clearly that is what he was doing but imo should be illegal. I would go further and say suspensions against players doing illegal acts will be discounted by a week or something like that. I do think the suspension was correct, but I hate seeing that type of activity, players running away from he ball and blocking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes clearly that is what he was doing but imo should be illegal. I would go further and say suspensions against players doing illegal acts will be discounted by a week or something like that. I do think the suspension was correct, but I hate seeing that type of activity, players running away from he ball and blocking.
I do get that to a point. I think tactical blocks and having a forward line run screens and stuff is ok. My biggest issue is if there's a direct block while the ball is on it's way to a marking contest.

I do get that to a point. I think tactical blocks and having a forward line run screens and stuff is ok. My biggest issue is if there's a direct block while the ball is on it's way to a marking contest.

The biggest issue is there is an umpire 30m away who is meant to be watching and they never do. If they pinged it once or twice clubs would stop doing it.

I don’t mind blocking if you are running towards the ball or facing the ball and moving toward the ball. It is this type of blocking Walsh was doing I object to. Not blaming Blues or Walsh because all teams to it, but that should be stamped out. He is moving away from the ball and runs off his line with one thing in mind, to interfere with Hartigan. Which is why I have some sympathy for Hartigan.

Against that, we have seen three raised forearms that made very violent contact waved through by the system in recent times, Dangerfield, Hawkins, Fritsch. This is an action I also think needs to be stamped out of the game, it is extremely dangerous. So Hartigan rightly got suspended but the AFL would do better to also consider the actions of the assailed player in all cases. They don’t.

I don’t mind blocking if you are running towards the ball or facing the ball and moving toward the ball. It is this type of blocking Walsh was doing I object to. Not blaming Blues or Walsh because all teams to it, but that should be stamped out. He is moving away from the ball and runs off his line with one thing in mind, to interfere with Hartigan. Which is why I have some sympathy for Hartigan.

Against that, we have seen three raised forearms that made very violent contact waved through by the system in recent times, Dangerfield, Hawkins, Fritsch. This is an action I also think needs to be stamped out of the game, it is extremely dangerous. So Hartigan rightly got suspended but the AFL would do better to also consider the actions of the assailed player in all cases. They don’t.

Goldstein punched Wright in the head and drew blood and didnt even get a week.

The AFL absolutely plays favourites.

Other than it being illegal! Yes, agree he shouldnt have lifted his forearm and he pays the price. Dont you think it is a little ironic the illegal act isnt talked about? When a player turns his back on play and runs straight at another, to me the aggressor should be held to account in some way. Wouldnt have happened if he had not run at him to block.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back