Hawthorn defender Kyle Hartigan in hot water over off-ball hit on Sam Walsh

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You guys started the squealing back in 1982. Bloody Polkinghorne.

Still, it freshened The Dominator up for a great game in the GF.
Yeah... that's true. I wouldn't say "you guys" like it was Hawthorn. That was Polkinghorne acting alone. The tribunal chief asked him what happened and he told the truth because that's how he was. And boy... Didn't the Blues take that on the chin? 30 years later, they were still bitching about him "breaking the players code"...

The Hawks have never squealed on opposition clubs. Other clubs have whined to AFL and asked for investigations or got their mates in the media to do their dirty work. The Hawks never have.

I actually laughed when I saw the Carlton Cheer Squad's tweet: If Jordan Lewis is upset about Plowman's bump on Omeara then nobody show him this footage of Kyle Hartigan elbowing Walsh in the head 100m off the ball yesterday.

LOL!

Don't they realise Jordan Lewis is a Fox Footy commentator these days who doesn't have any mates left at Hawthorn? He is mates with all the Melbourne guys! The only time he talks about the Hawks these days is to give us s**t... Mainly because he has an axe to grind about the way Hawthorn (Clarkson) gave him away to the Dees.

The relative silence on this one compared to that of McCartin is a joke. Media were pleading for 8 weeks in McCartin's case and yet not many seem to have blinked an eyelid at this. In my opinion this is worse. In the McCartin case there was niggle and push and shove prior. In Hartigan's case, he has hit him with no warning or lead up.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Looked to me like Hartigan tried to fend off Sam Walsh with a forearm into his shoulder region and it deflected up into Walsh's face

I don't think it was an intentional dirty hit. If you watched Hartigan play footy, you'd realise the bloke is a complete potato and as uncoordinated as it gets.
'I think tried to shove Walsh away with his forearm and completely misjudged it.

LOL at turnips like you who sook about oppo "thuggery:"

And cheers to precious Carlton cheer squad squealers who filmed it and posted it on social media
Hopefully the AFL suspend Hartigan for the remainder of the season so I don't have to watch him play anymore.

edit: Bugger. Only 3 weeks.

But our club will remember this instance of squealing from the Carlton cheer squad and putting our blokes in for suspension

What goes around comes around. Hopefully when we repay the favour, it will be one of your good players and some really important games.
Yeah because the AFL doesn’t have behind the goal cameras...

Yeah... that's true. I wouldn't say "you guys" like it was Hawthorn. That was Polkinghorne acting alone. The tribunal chief asked him what happened and he told the truth because that's how he was. And boy... Didn't the Blues take that on the chin? 30 years later, they were still bitching about him "breaking the players code"...

The Hawks have never squealed on opposition clubs. Other clubs have whined to AFL and asked for investigations or got their mates in the media to do their dirty work. The Hawks never have.

I actually laughed when I saw the Carlton Cheer Squad's tweet: If Jordan Lewis is upset about Plowman's bump on Omeara then nobody show him this footage of Kyle Hartigan elbowing Walsh in the head 100m off the ball yesterday.

LOL!

Don't they realise Jordan Lewis is a Fox Footy commentator these days who doesn't have any mates left at Hawthorn? He is mates with all the Melbourne guys! The only time he talks about the Hawks these days is to give us sh*t... Mainly because he has an axe to grind about the way Hawthorn (Clarkson) gave him away to the Dees.

Nah, Lewis was barracking for the Hawks yesterday IMO.

Jul 12, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sturt, 49ers, Braves
Looked to me like Hartigan tried to fend off Sam Walsh with a forearm into his shoulder region and it deflected up into Walsh's face

I don't think it was an intentional dirty hit. If you watched Hartigan play footy, you'd realise the bloke is a complete potato and as uncoordinated as it gets.
'I think tried to shove Walsh away with his forearm and completely misjudged it.

LOL at turnips like you who sook about oppo "thuggery:"

And cheers to precious Carlton cheer squad squealers who filmed it and posted it on social media
Hopefully the AFL suspend Hartigan for the remainder of the season so I don't have to watch him play anymore.

edit: Bugger. Only 3 weeks.

But our club will remember this instance of squealing from the Carlton cheer squad and putting our blokes in for suspension

What goes around comes around. Hopefully when we repay the favour, it will be one of your good players and some really important games.
That’s one helluva squeal.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong

Maybe he would have got a sensible penalty if the MRO decided that he had some case to answer for this garbage on Easter Monday.

1621796416098.png

1621795690736.png

A please explain for the MRO...? From what he's demonstrated in separate incidents over the space of about six weeks, he shouldn't be on a footy field.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Maybe he would have got a sensible penalty if the MRO decided that he had some case to answer for this garbage on Easter Monday.

View attachment 1135763

View attachment 1135762

A please explain for the MRO...? From what he's demonstrated in separate incidents over the space of about six weeks, he shouldn't be on a footy field.

6 weeks worth of suspensions having not hurt anyone.

Thst seems reasonable.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He didn't have a record because he wasn't cited for his swinging punch to the back of Hawkins' head. Should have been 1-2 for Easter Monday and then 5 with a poor record applied on top this time.

5 weeks for a single incident where he didnt hurt anyone.

Why not just rub him out the whole season?

Do we play Geelong in the next 5 games and youre worried about himbeating Hawkins again ?

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
5 weeks for a single incident where he didnt hurt anyone.

Why not just rub him out the whole season?

Do we play Geelong in the next 5 games and youre worried about himbeating Hawkins again ?

Yeah, that's it... I'm worried about the mighty 2021 Hawthorn squad. About two minutes away from sitting on 0-10 as we speak. Besides the clear recent evidence of Hartigan being a sniper and a thug, I don't think he's worthy of any consideration or opinion about his ability.

I guess you meant literally 'beating' Hawkins in the back of the head after Hawkins has taken another uncontested mark, which probably would have been contested by a more adept defender. Well, yeah, there's the risk of that if he continues to get the wet lettuce leaf punishments from the MRO for habitually hitting opponents in the head away from the ball or when the play has stopped.

The fact that he didn't seriously injure someone has been factored in. Double those would have been reasonable if he'd done serious damage. He wasn't even reprimanded for the hit on Hawkins. And now one more week than what Holman has been given. Find me a non-Hawthorn supporter who isn't an immediate relative of Hartigan who thinks three weeks total for those two incidents is anywhere near what he should have got.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah, that's it... I'm worried about the mighty 2021 Hawthorn squad. About two minutes away from sitting on 0-10 as we speak. Besides the clear recent evidence of Hartigan being a sniper and a thug, I don't think he's worthy of any consideration or opinion about his ability.

I guess you meant literally 'beating' Hawkins in the back of the head after Hawkins has taken another uncontested mark, which probably would have been contested by a more adept defender. Well, yeah, there's the risk of that if he continues to get the wet lettuce leaf punishments from the MRO for habitually hitting opponents in the head away from the ball or when the play has stopped.

The fact that he didn't seriously injure someone has been factored in. Double those would have been reasonable if he'd done serious damage. He wasn't even reprimanded for the hit on Hawkins. And now one more week than what Holman has been given. Find me a non-Hawthorn supporter who isn't an immediate relative of Hartigan who thinks three weeks total for those two incidents is anywhere near what he should have got.

So the standard penalty for not hurting someone is 5 weeks. And the standard penalty for hurting someone is 10 weeks.

You seem like a rational fella'. Not at all affected by 2008 or 2013.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
So the standard penalty for not hurting someone is 5 weeks. And the standard penalty for hurting someone is 10 weeks.

You seem like a rational fella'. Not at all affected by 2008 or 2013.

Feel free to ignore my posts in this thread and focus on every other (non-Geelong) poster who seems to be a lot closer to my view of the incident than yours.

Or take it to the Bay. This has nothing to do with Geelong and everything to do with Hartigan picking off opponents in quick succession with actions that weren't even close to being in the 'spirit of the game' realm.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
Hawthorn appealing - hopefully we'll get the six weeks.

Obvious joke aside, I've got no problems with Hartigan getting his fair whack. What I would hope is there some other evidence (whether that is player testimony, medical report, etc) outside of a video taken on a phone. This opens up a can of worms in terms of what constitutes appropriate evidence - I'm not entirely comfortable with the precedent this sets.

Personally I reckon this should have been enough to warrant a proper old school tribunal appearance - hearing from both Hartigan and Walsh, from McKay, etc rather than relying solely on a video taken from 100 metres away.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks

poor Siddle Hawkins, who doesn’t mind the odd punch himself

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong

Obvious joke aside, I've got no problems with Hartigan getting his fair whack. What I would hope is there some other evidence (whether that is player testimony, medical report, etc) outside of a video taken on a phone. This opens up a can of worms in terms of what constitutes appropriate evidence - I'm not entirely comfortable with the precedent this sets.

Personally I reckon this should have been enough to warrant a proper old school tribunal appearance - hearing from both Hartigan and Walsh, from McKay, etc rather than relying solely on a video taken from 100 metres away.

Yeah I think that's a fair point and reasonable. Straight to the tribunal where Hartigan, Walsh, McKay and any umpires in the vicinity can give their version of the incident and the events leading up to it.

I suppose the counter though is that Hartigan/Hawthorn can take it to the tribunal and if they don't, that probably says a bit. Doesn't detract from your main point however of whether this is a troubling precedent to set.

BlueDay

Team Captain
Mar 26, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
I’d challenge it just to draw attention to a little princess carlton supporter going hey ‘guess what I filmed’ he nasty man and the afl getting pissy in unison

Yeah the gutless action is posting a video not the coward act of throwing an elbow into someone not looking or expecting contact. Typical Hawthorn crap!

Aug 25, 2008
Aisle 38
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
LFC, #DubNation, Storm
2 things bug me about this......

a) this to me is a worse hit than McCartin's - I know its a different tribunal but it the same hand up the puppets arse. Surprised he only gets 3 weeks.

b) where was McKay when his teammate gets dropped?? He turns and sees what happens and wanders off. For a club needing to show they have some ticker about them (yes, exactly like my club), I'd be pretty disappointed there wasn't either some ramification, or at least a check on Walsh's wellbeing and a wave to the trainers.

Patronus

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Storm

In reality the quality of the footage it probably better than some of the behind the goal cameras the AFL like to use where you can’t even see the point of contact.

Back