Hawthorn defender Kyle Hartigan in hot water over off-ball hit on Sam Walsh

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He really should have been referred straight to tribunal. They haven't shown the official behind the goals vision rather than the fan vision have they?

And havent provided any info on what damage was done to Walsh too.

High impact for a guy who got up, and 2 other cases of high impact where the player was concussed.

There used to be "based on medical report" and "due to risk of injury the impact was increased" but now thry dont bother.

Now its "based on vibe and level of media outrage and whether the player is a potential Brownlow poller"...

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
2 things bug me about this......

a) this to me is a worse hit than McCartin's - I know its a different tribunal but it the same hand up the puppets arse. Surprised he only gets 3 weeks.

b) where was McKay when his teammate gets dropped?? He turns and sees what happens and wanders off. For a club needing to show they have some ticker about them (yes, exactly like my club), I'd be pretty disappointed there wasn't either some ramification, or at least a check on Walsh's wellbeing and a wave to the trainers.

This is what baffles me. Not even a shove from McKay.

Its why Im wondering how hard Walsh even got hit.

Also, why did Walsh run 100m at Hartigan with less than 1 min to go? The whole thing is weird.

Also, why did Walsh run 100m at Hartigan with less than 1 min to go? The whole thing is weird.
Looks like Walsh is trying to block and/or create confusion among the defenders so that either himself or Mckay can get free for a long lead.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
From what he's demonstrated in separate incidents over the space of about six weeks, he shouldn't be on a footy field.
Fixed

edit: I never saw you posting this strongly about the sniping from Scarlett, Milburn and Hunt back in the day.
Gotta love the selective outrage from prissy AFL fans when it doesn't involve snipers from their own club.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yes I wonder if it would have been thrown out if the roles had been reversed. Somehow I doubt it.
Oh... poor Tomahawk...

Suspended for 6 matches in total from 6 striking charges (and at least 5 or 6 other "jumper" punches to the head when he wasn't charged)

Such a victim... The AFL crucified him! :rolleyes:

He received a 1 match ban for this king-hit 80m behind play in the 2018 Prelim Final which knocked out Will Schofield.
Should've got 3 or 4 weeks.
tom-hawkins-will-schofield.gif

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Fixed

edit: I never saw you posting this strongly about the sniping from Scarlett, Milburn and Hunt back in the day.
Gotta love the selective outrage from prissy AFL fans when it doesn't involve snipers from their own club.

Do you guys have anything other than "But, Geelong!" Why not start a Hawkins thread? Scarlett, Milburn, Hunt... you got anything else from this century?

If you remembered my posts from back then, I'd probably need to look into some sort of protection against stalking. Probably says a bit that that they'd all well and truly finished up before the Back One Out account kicked off for its Big Footy debut. Scarlett's hit on Ballantyne possibly cost Geelong a top four spot in 2012; Hawkins' hit on Schofield possibly cost us a grand final berth. I can't be bothered, but if you wanted to trawl through my archives, I'm sure you'd find words to that effect.

Keep fighting the good fight, two wins all year, by a combined four points. And with the dire state of the list, given that Hartigan is a key pillar of your defence (by default) and while he's having nothing remotely like the holiday that his actions warranted, he's still going to be out of the team until late June.

FactsNotBS

If you can't say anything nice...
Aug 21, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Always Hawthorn. Just kidding GC.
Hawthorn appealing - hopefully we'll get the six weeks.

Obvious joke aside, I've got no problems with Hartigan getting his fair whack. What I would hope is there some other evidence (whether that is player testimony, medical report, etc) outside of a video taken on a phone. This opens up a can of worms in terms of what constitutes appropriate evidence - I'm not entirely comfortable with the precedent this sets.

Personally I reckon this should have been enough to warrant a proper old school tribunal appearance - hearing from both Hartigan and Walsh, from McKay, etc rather than relying solely on a video taken from 100 metres away.
Hartigan is the only player we have who can stop a big power forward like Ben King next week, Franklin the game after etc. Why would you want him rubbed out? Plus, why isnt Walsh accountable for charging at a player off the ball, causing him to respond? Had he not run at Hartigan it wouldnt have happened. Walsh was attempting an illegal block and how was Hartigan to know he wasnt going to belt him? I guess all that info will go to the tribunal. There also seems there is no vision that clearly shows Hartigan got him high, other than Walsh falling to the ground but that could have been for any pain.

FactsNotBS

If you can't say anything nice...
Aug 21, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Always Hawthorn. Just kidding GC.
The relative silence on this one compared to that of McCartin is a joke. Media were pleading for 8 weeks in McCartin's case and yet not many seem to have blinked an eyelid at this. In my opinion this is worse. In the McCartin case there was niggle and push and shove prior. In Hartigan's case, he has hit him with no warning or lead up.
Lets not forget who ran at who. What was Walsh doing off the ball like that? Hartigan shouldnt expect to have someone run at him like that in an aggressive way. Had Walsh not run at him nothing would have happened. Hartigan should get off.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton

Ran at Hartigan from 100m away? I know Walsh is quick but the video is only around 10 seconds long.

Looks like Walsh has over to create a screen for McKay to lead into space. Happens 1000 times per game and it’s generally not something that results in an elbow to the face.

I’m unsure how you can even justify it. It was a dirty act.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ran at Hartigan from 100m away? I know Walsh is quick but the video is only around 10 seconds long.

Looks like Walsh has over to create a screen for McKay to lead into space. Happens 1000 times per game and it’s generally not something that results in an elbow to the face.

I’m unsure how you can even justify it. It was a dirty act.

So dirty that McKay didnt even care that the 2021 B & F winner got dropped on his arse.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
Hartigan is the only player we have who can stop a big power forward like Ben King next week, Franklin the game after etc. Why would you want him rubbed out? Plus, why isnt Walsh accountable for charging at a player off the ball, causing him to respond? Had he not run at Hartigan it wouldnt have happened. Walsh was attempting an illegal block and how was Hartigan to know he wasnt going to belt him? I guess all that info will go to the tribunal. There also seems there is no vision that clearly shows Hartigan got him high, other than Walsh falling to the ground but that could have been for any pain.

Wins this year don't mean anything for Hawthorn. Hartigan is merely warming the seat until DGB and Sicily recovers from injury. He played his best game for the year last week against North and it did diddly squat in terms of a result.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
Looked to me like Hartigan tried to fend off Sam Walsh with a forearm into his shoulder region and it deflected up into Walsh's face

I don't think it was an intentional dirty hit. If you watched Hartigan play footy, you'd realise the bloke is a complete potato and as uncoordinated as it gets.
'I think tried to shove Walsh away with his forearm and completely misjudged it.

LOL at turnips like you who sook about oppo "thuggery:"

And cheers to precious Carlton cheer squad squealers who filmed it and posted it on social media
Hopefully the AFL suspend Hartigan for the remainder of the season so I don't have to watch him play anymore.

edit: Bugger. Only 3 weeks.

But our club will remember this instance of squealing from the Carlton cheer squad and putting our blokes in for suspension

What goes around comes around. Hopefully when we repay the favour, it will be one of your good players and some really important games.
Might be time for a nap mate. Between your responses in this and the Plowman thread, you are contradicting EVERYTHING you say.
Possibly one of the biggest multi-thread melts I've seen.
Saying that players in a marking contest need to be protected from accidental contact in a fair contest, but applauding and laughing at Hodge's hit on Murphy, then trying to claim that a clearly deliberate, intentional elbow to the head, WAAAYYY off the ball is justifiable as a clumsy 'fend off' and trying to call out the cheersquad for daring to want thuggery removed from the game and threatening to use it for retribution at some point down the track, and hoping for it to be a good player at a pivotal time.
Showing your true nature mate.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Oh yeah... The old "potential to cause serious injury" :rolleyes:

What if.... Just imagine... He could've KILLED HIM !!! :mad:

Poor Walshy! Leave him alone!!!

How would you like to me to describe the Carlton fans who filmed it and shared it around using the Carlton Cheer Squad Twitter account?

Carlton squealers seems pretty apt.

Well done, Blues sooks. I look forward to us returning the favour.
How bad are your posts that you're editing them and they're still s**t?

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Hawthorn hasn't had anyone suspended for 'intentional striking'/sniping for at least 5 years...

In 2019, we had Ben Stratton sent to the tribunal and suspended for pinching little Orazio "mummy's boy" Fantasia on his arm.
In 2018, James Sicily copped a suspension for intentionally stepping on Shaun Atley's leg. Stepping, not stomping...

Lots of opposition squealing over these incidents too, come to think of it.
Interpretation:
I'm OK with thuggery if it's my team being the perpetrator. But fair contests that result in accidental head contact should get the death penalty... until someone from my team does it, then I'll come up with some random excuse to justify it.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
And havent provided any info on what damage was done to Walsh too.

High impact for a guy who got up, and 2 other cases of high impact where the player was concussed.

There used to be "based on medical report" and "due to risk of injury the impact was increased" but now thry dont bother.

Now its "based on vibe and level of media outrage and whether the player is a potential Brownlow poller"...
This type of incident shouldn't require any injury info. It's an elbow to the back of the head. An injury report would/should only make it more than 3 weeks.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Interpretation:
I'm OK with thuggery if it's my team being the perpetrator. But fair contests that result in accidental head contact should get the death penalty... until someone from my team does it, then I'll come up with some random excuse to justify it.
Translation: I really struggle with my reading comprehension, or formulating my idiotic thoughts into sensible coherent posts. But I like making shiit up and inventing straw man arguments for the purpose of juvenile parochial debates on teh interwebz.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Might be time for a nap mate. Between your responses in this and the Plowman thread, you are contradicting EVERYTHING you say.
Possibly one of the biggest multi-thread melts I've seen.
Saying that players in a marking contest need to be protected from accidental contact in a fair contest, but applauding and laughing at Hodge's hit on Murphy, then trying to claim that a clearly deliberate, intentional elbow to the head, WAAAYYY off the ball is justifiable as a clumsy 'fend off' and trying to call out the cheersquad for daring to want thuggery removed from the game and threatening to use it for retribution at some point down the track, and hoping for it to be a good player at a pivotal time.
Showing your true nature mate.
Nice melt.

Tim Evans Beard

Cancelled
East Side Hawks - Sweet F.A. Chess Club Member
Apr 9, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Kyle was just standing there with his elbow raised. If Sam runs into it and hurts himself, it’s his own fault.

Back