Hawthorn - Do they trade into the first round this season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Might need to change the thread title to - "Hawthorn - Can they trade for enough draft points to draft their Next Generation academy players".

Tony Olango (2016/17), Marrara, Multicultural
Changkuoth Jiath (2017), Morwell, Multicultural
Tyrone Hayes (2017), Lakes Entrance, Indigenous
Irving Mosquito (2018), Briagolong, Indigenous

That's some nice talent to have first access to.

I could see Smith or Stratton to to the GC for an early-ish second rounder.

Id like to see the eagles give up a first for Rioli, but the hawks would be dumb to trade him.

Might need to change the thread title to - "Hawthorn - Can they trade for enough draft points to draft their Next Generation academy players".

My guess is:

Olango - we'll pick up as a rookie (probably Cat B when all clubs look over him again)
CJ - will probably cost a 2017 2nd rounder. Our early 3rd rounder after discounts are factored in should cover this
Hayes - at this stage looks to be a late draft or rookie pick
Mosquito - may be a late 1st rounder or early 2nd rounder at this early stage for 2018.

Luckily Jamie Langford isn't playing TAC cup and only school footy this year (same school as CJ and his scholarship dictates school footy takes priority over TAC so this might lower his draft value as well) as he's easily the best Langford brother and we should pick him up late in the draft instead of a 1st rounder.

Every club can go into deficit if they so wish.

If the academies had of come in 12 months earlier SPS would have been a good chance of being in Brown and Gold.

If the academies had of come in 12 months earlier SPS would have been a good chance of being in Brown and Gold.
So you've got the Halls Creek region?

Could be a very valuable area for you. Cedric Cox drafted by the Lions last year is also from there, and he's got a cousin playing for the Greater Western Victoria Rebels TAC team, who came down from Halls Creek just like Cedric did to play footy.

Yup, this where teams will start taking a longer view.

Brisbane last year passed on matching a bid for academy product Declan Watson (bid on by North Melbourne at pick 34) as we needed to keep the points to match a bid on Jacob Allison when it came. And we didn't want to carry a deficit in to this years draft as we knew we had a couple of good academy kids this year and didn't want our 2017 second round pick devalued.

If we had matched the bid on Watson and carried a second round deficit in this years draft, our second round pick would have dropped from (using the current ladder) from pick 19 down to pick 35. That's a big hit on the value of a second round draft pick.

Hawthorn find themselves currently in a good position where they can match bids with current picks this year as the kids aren't rated as first round picks. But clubs in the future will have to weigh up the pro's and cons of matching, and potentially carrying over a points deficit to the following draft when they have more kids to match bids on, or might face having a high pick next year massively devalued, etc.

So you've got the Halls Creek region?

Could be a very valuable area for you. Cedric Cox drafted by the Lions last year is also from there, and he's got a cousin playing for the Greater Western Victoria Rebels TAC team, who came down from Halls Creek just like Cedric did to play footy.
I'm not 100%. Just repeating something I read on our board, which I foolishly trusted without checking.

Here's the map.
IMG_6679.JPG

mapvic.jpg

mapnt.jpg

Just been looking at those Northern Territory NGA zones.

I would genuinely surprised if there is one oval to found in the whole of Melbourne's zone.

There is one at Tennant Creek in Collingwood's zone, and that might be it.

There are some cricket and show grounds in the Hawks zone, but they really are bush/dessert grounds.

There's about half a dozen grounds on the Tiwi Islands in Essendon's zone.

Of course Geelong get the prime cut, with the highest population areas and many more ovals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What the hell is the point of the Melbourne zone there? Does anyone even bloody live there?

I like the Victorian map better.

"Ok, let's hand out zones. Hey, isn't there both a town and club called Melbourne? Yeah? Let's give them... Phillip Island. Maybe they'll change their name to Phillip." :D

Melbourne would have Alice Springs wouldn't they?

Of course, how did I forget Alice. There's at least 5 footy/cricket ovals in around Alice Springs.

What the hell is the point of the Melbourne zone there? Does anyone even bloody live there?

Actually there are some small communities, a couple even have nice ovals, where almost the only green is the footy field.

Actually it surprising how important the sport must be in some small communities.
Yulara.
Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 10.15.22 am.png

Others have pure desert ovals, even one at Uluru. Mutitjulu next to Uluru has a pure dirt oval with gaol posts and all.
Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 10.19.37 am.png

Why are Richmond's, the Bulldogs and Hawthorn's zones so massive compared to everyone elses, especially when you consider Hawthorn also have the good parts of the Northern Territory?
I would say traditional areas and population density may have been considered.
Not many people in the desert of NT or the forests of gipsland
Cats have a fair density with Darwin for indigenous kids and the Geelong area for African kids and Tiges have massive area with reasonable density considering its rural .

Why are Richmond's, the Bulldogs and Hawthorn's zones so massive compared to everyone elses, especially when you consider Hawthorn also have the good parts of the Northern Territory?

Population density. That small bit in the middle holds about 80% of the state's population. You might have heard of "Melbourne"? ;)

#FreeAcademiesHawthorn

Population density. That small bit in the middle holds about 80% of the state's population. You might have heard of "Melbourne"? ;)

I must admit my Victorian geography is not brilliant as I have never actually been to Victoria but I hope the AFL took into account things like how many players get drafted from each region as regional Victoria produces more players per capita than in the heartland of Melbourne.

I must admit my Victorian geography is not brilliant as I have never actually been to Victoria but I hope the AFL took into account things like how many players get drafted from each region as regional Victoria produces more players per capita than in the heartland of Melbourne.

I vaguely recall it was based off the relative population of multicultural/Aboriginal backgrounds, i.e. those eligible for the academies.

This isnt about just any player its only indigenous and multicultural.
Totally different to the Swans access to 1 million + people in Newcastle or GWS's access to the fertile footy fields in the Riverina

This isnt about just any player its only indigenous and multicultural.
Totally different to the Swans access to 1 million + people in Newcastle or GWS's access to the fertile footy fields in the Riverina

Probably will turn out to be similar numbers in each academy though. I would be interested in 3 or 4 years time to see how the under 18's Hawthorn academy will go against the under 18's Swans academy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back