Hawthorn - Do they trade into the first round this season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Solid point.

I'm not flat out saying no BTW, would need to consider it.

And if we were to finish 10-12 - still reckon it's too high a cost.
If it were pick 7 or less absolutely we need to weigh it up, but I reckon we finish with a pick around 10.

Has hardly missed a game for over 2 years? Wellingham dawes redden all fetched top 20 picks for the others still playing.
Teams have all made mistakes in trading. Last 2 years have been a lot better, but it still lingers in the background given his age.

Probably your best trade option - IF you wanted draft picks. Gunston next.

But they'll all stay. Otherwise it's a very big rebuild.

I'd trade our pick ~10 without a shadow of a doubt.
So you don't think Laverne, Francis, Langford or Redman cannot play that role?
Really rate Gunston but not what we need.
Would rather Hayes or a power forward surely.
Gunston would be for a team who's window is open.
Ours aint!

Nope. Need 2 first round picks within 4 years. Geelong had to get special permission to trade their 2017 first round pick.
Yeah I'm sure the AFL will never grant "special permission" again. Other clubs wouldn't riot over that at all.

So you don't think Laverne, Francis, Langford or Redman cannot play that role?
Really rate Gunston but not what we need.
Would rather Hayes or a power forward surely.
Gunston would be for a team who's window is open.
Ours aint!
Gunston can play a variety of roles. Most importantly he's a key forward who is an elite set shot.

Not sure we need to this year. We'll have a fair bit of cash in the salary cap to chase a free agent or two. Could enable us to fill some spots, then we can get into the draft the following year. Of course the following year we'll drop at least 2 of Burgoyne, Hodge or Gibson (possibly all 3) and the salary cap continuing increasing we are in a position to potentially rebuild on the run through free agents and clever late drafting.

I've never really fallen for the reasoning that the draft is the be all and end all for success. No doubt early draft picks help, but they can also be busts.

If we were to trade anyone it would probably be a small forward or a mid/fwd as we have an excess of those. But I don't think we need to trade anyone. There are a number of young players who haven't gotten an opportunity due to the era, who we would look to bring in from the VFL, so we should be able to equally bank our future on one of those players as much as a first rounder or a second rounder, etc.

I'll say it again, one high draft pick isn't going to make much of a difference. It won't regenerate your list, and you are giving up a ready made player.

Either Hawthorn needs to commit to a full rebuild and bottom out for a couple of seasons, or try and stay in the premiership window and use your cap space to buy in mature talent. I'll even throw you a name. Tom Rockliff.

I'll say it again, one high draft pick isn't going to make much of a difference. It won't regenerate your list, and you are giving up a ready made player.

Either Hawthorn needs to commit to a full rebuild and bottom out for a couple of seasons, or try and stay in the premiership window and use your cap space to buy in mature talent. I'll even throw you a name. Tom Rockliff.

I agree with this.

Hawks have tied their fortunes to getting JOM fit and firing and bringing in players through free agency/trading. There is no point to trading for draft picks now as those players wont be near ready by the time the rest of the players are declining.

I personally don't see it working but they must hold the course.

Spoken about on SEN today - of you could get 2 x first rounders for Rioli, would you take it?

No way would any club offer two firsts for Cyril given how old he is.

The only two clubs I realistically see trading with this year is Richmond and St Kilda as they have two first round picks going into the draft.

If Hawks play it right and trade the right players for the right picks they could realistically go into the draft with two late first rounders.

Not sure who the Tigers and Saints would realistically want. But players like Frawley, Breust, Smith, Shields need to be bait.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will know more by end of season if this list cant recover there position some moves may be needed to drop the age of the list.

Currently it is hoped some of those stars in the 26+ age bracket will be in our next premiership. If that becomes unlikely then hawthorn should be open to trades for the right price.

Players like gunston would probably cost to much for most clubs but id want hawthon to at least entertain the offers.

With these late 1st your looking more at the top clubs picking up a role player to fill a hole and its yet to be seen what and who some of these contenders are missing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Seriously, some one explain the benefits of trading for one, or even two mid to late first round picks in this draft.
As above it would have to be a top club looking at filling a hole.

Not the Gunstons but the tier below.

I see some slight benefit, definitely not something hawks need to force though.

Unless its a high pick the Stars need to stay.

Not sure we need to this year. We'll have a fair bit of cash in the salary cap to chase a free agent or two. Could enable us to fill some spots, then we can get into the draft the following year. Of course the following year we'll drop at least 2 of Burgoyne, Hodge or Gibson (possibly all 3) and the salary cap continuing increasing we are in a position to potentially rebuild on the run through free agents and clever late drafting.

I've never really fallen for the reasoning that the draft is the be all and end all for success. No doubt early draft picks help, but they can also be busts.
Why would a free agent go to a bottom side for a rebuild?

Hawthorn are screwed for the next 5-10 years. The fact that people can only find 3-4 players on their list that are worth a first round pick is a worry.

Well to be fair Burton would be worth a first rounder but he would not be on the table as he is young so that kind of makes it pointless trading him for a first rounder since the point of getting a first rounder is to bring in youth.

I think if Hawthorn played it smart GWS would give them a really good pick for Rioli.

I think they should consider trading Isaac Smith. They have plenty of that outside type and he's 28 yet still would hold significant trade value. They could probably get a late 1st round pick or early 2nd for him which could help rebuild the list.

You asked why?

I did, and I don't consider $ to be a good answer. Because, as I said, other clubs also have money. What a FA usually wants, is success. They are in the prime of their career. They generally have money, they crave success. So why would they go to a bottom team only to be part of a rebuild for the rest of their career?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back