Hawthorn - Do they trade into the first round this season?

Remove this Banner Ad

I did, and I don't consider $ to be a good answer. Because, as I said, other clubs also have money. What a FA usually wants, is success. They are in the prime of their career. They generally have money, they crave success. So why would they go to a bottom team only to be part of a rebuild for the rest of their career?
Well thats your issue isnt it. $$$ have moved players before, so unless you can change history you might just have to deal with it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I agree with this.

Hawks have tied their fortunes to getting JOM fit and firing and bringing in players through free agency/trading. .

A first rounder and a second round pick downgrade isn't really a fortune. Not unless we win the spoon this year.

Lol it ain't my issue. Name all the free agents who've moved for money instead of success. Good luck with that
Nope, cant be bothered. But players have moved to low end clubs for money. Its happened. ever heard of Gablett.

You obviously believe this wont continue to happen. Thats your guess.

A first rounder and a second round pick downgrade isn't really a fortune. Not unless we win the spoon this year.

When did i say fortune?

Hawks had two options.

1. Blow it up and rebuild through the draft.

2. Try to rebuild through trades and free agency.

They chose option 2. There is no point now in trying to trade 26 year olds for 1st round picks.

No shame in their approach. May or may not work. I was merely pointing out that trading back into the first round does not fit their rebuild plan to date.

Now I'm hoping this doesn't become a shitfight over how bad or good Hawthorn are, but there has been media speculation on whether they should trade one of their players with currency so that they can get back into the first round?

It wouldn't be the worst move in the world IMO, but the problem will be that only 2 of their players would command that sort of compensation. Burgoyne, Hodge, Roughead, Birchall are all good enough but all of them are 30 or will be by the start of next season.

So that leaves Cyril Rioli or Jack Gunston. Now, as good as Cyril is; I doubt many teams will give up the desired 1st round pick for a small forward (who is excellent) that will turn 29 halfway through the season. Maybe a team that are at the top that need a player of that ilk (West Coast?).

Gunston however would attract many offers. He's 26 years old so he's got at least 5 good years left in him from then, and given his history it probably extends to 6/7 years. I could see any of Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne and Richmond offering that first round pick for him (Collingwood or Geelong would be there but trading restrictions mean they can't).

So, do Hawthorn trade either of them? Or do they keep their guns and sacrifice their first round pick for this year?

Whatever.

Trading to essendon is off limits though. What a way to reward a loyal servant

As above it would have to be a top club looking at filling a hole.

Not the Gunstons but the tier below.

I see some slight benefit, definitely not something hawks need to force though.

Unless its a high pick the Stars need to stay.

Still, what is the point? That's what I am asking.

What is the plan?

Still, what is the point? That's what I am asking.

What is the plan?
If hawks just miss finals no players should be traded, but lets say disaster happens and we look like we will need quite a few drafts to rebuild 5+ then the 27+ players wont be in our next premership team so move them on for younger guys that will be still around to play with Mitchell, Omeara, Burton, Sicily, Gunston in 6 years.

Thats the plan people are suggesting here.

Its only rd 3 so a bit early to come to any conclusion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aaabbbbllĺleeeettttttt, betts, thomas, ryder, barlow, dangerflog, franklin...
I'll pay Ablett and Thomas. Betts moved for success, Barlow moved because he was delisted, Danger and Buddy definitely for success. Ryder moved because he screwing around on his missus and she gave him an ultimatum to leave Victoria or never see his kids. In fact I'm pretty sure he's on the same money as he was at Essendon...

I'll pay Ablett and Thomas. Betts moved for success, Barlow moved because he was delisted, Danger and Buddy definitely for success. Ryder moved because he screwing around on his missus and she gave him an ultimatum to leave Victoria or never see his kids. In fact I'm pretty sure he's on the same money as he was at Essendon...
I wouldn't say Adelaide had better hopes than Carlton did when Betts left, was basically all money AFAIK.

Dangerfield left because he wanted to return to Moggs Creek/South-West Coast.

I wouldn't say Adelaide had better hopes than Carlton did when Betts left, was basically all money AFAIK.

Dangerfield left because he wanted to return to Moggs Creek/South-West Coast.
They definitely did.

Franklin moved for success? He played in a flag with the hawks just before he left on a $10m, 9yr deal...

Barlow moved cos he was delisted and wanted the $ associated with playing afl. If he just wanted to play, he would have stayed in Perth and played or moved back to vic and played vfl at a top team

Eddie moved because Carlton wouldn't give him a 3 year deal and crows offered more $

Danger - didn't move for success, rather his gf wanted to move back close to family so he followed

Well to be fair Burton would be worth a first rounder but he would not be on the table as he is young so that kind of makes it pointless trading him for a first rounder since the point of getting a first rounder is to bring in youth.

I think if Hawthorn played it smart GWS would give them a really good pick for Rioli.

GWS dont have anymore picks to play with and have salary cap problems - Rioli is no chance for GWS.

Fremantle, Carlton, North, Port and Brisbane are the only ones I assume would have the salary cap to mounevre

Franklin moved for success? He played in a flag with the hawks just before he left on a $10m, 9yr deal...

Barlow moved cos he was delisted and wanted the $ associated with playing afl. If he just wanted to play, he would have stayed in Perth and played or moved back to vic and played vfl at a top team

Eddie moved because Carlton wouldn't give him a 3 year deal and crows offered more $

Danger - didn't move for success, rather his gf wanted to move back close to family so he followed
... To the team that were favourites for the flag next season.

So you're telling me that if you were offered an AFL contract you would turn it down and play local footy? Turn it up. I very much doubt that money had anything to do with it.

Eddie moved to a better club that was more likely to succeed than the one he was at. Hm...

I think they should consider trading Isaac Smith. They have plenty of that outside type and he's 28 yet still would hold significant trade value. They could probably get a late 1st round pick or early 2nd for him which could help rebuild the list.

He would be good for someone like St Kilda for outside run on a three- four year contract IMO

I think they should consider trading Isaac Smith. They have plenty of that outside type and he's 28 yet still would hold significant trade value. They could probably get a late 1st round pick or early 2nd for him which could help rebuild the list.

Sorry Dan but who do they have that is quality as an outside midfielder?
They have just traded Hill who gave them a lot of run and carry. If they lost Smith, they are in serious trouble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back