Hawthorn FC worst nightmare the 2017 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn has not bottom out this year, that will come next year when they loose their veteran players. Possibly wooden spoon contention next year, then start the rebuilding phase.

It's basically Hodge. He's providing leadership and organisation but his play is limited now

Have fun with your extra top 10 draft pick at your miserable club

Chill out mate; I respect the Hawks. Have continued to develop a strong list

No need for cheap shots.

I have really enjoyed watch the development of the Saints list and will continue to do so, if the Saints don't improve over the next year will deserve that sort of call.

You should enjoy the development of your club, cheer up

OP in this thread was based on the hypothetical that Saints would get pick one. Not much of a possibility anymore

Saints could still land a top 6-7 pick

It's whether Hawks value pick higher than JOM. Tom Mitchell has been worth Pick 13 for sure

It's whether Hawks value pick higher than JOM.

Like all clubs, I dont think that the Hawks will give this much though, hindsight gets nobody nowhere. Plus JOM cost more than just that pick!

Clarkson quite clearly doesn't rate draft as much as other clubs. Burton slid to Hawthorn's pick because nobody else wanted to take a risk on him*, I don't see trading a couple of picks for JOM as a lot different. Look at this season, the evenness of the comp means a star like Dangerfield or Martin (or a JOM at his best) can lift a team from the pack.

We've built a good list of really decent kids but we need elite talent to win flags. I'm still happy we took the punt on JOM.

*I am still absolutely baffled the Crows didn't pick Burton. With their player retention issues plus the fact they were a strong team in a position to take a risk, that is one of the more bizaare non-draftings I think I've ever seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's whether Hawks value pick higher than JOM. Tom Mitchell has been worth Pick 13 for sure
Mitchell at 13 is proving to be a steal. You could say Mitchell for pick 7 and JOM for 13. Not all bad.
2017 draft may or may not prove bad for Hawthorn but the 2017 season will give a summer of nightmares for 7 teams who make finals but don't win the premiership. This one is genuinely up for grabs, and I look forward to the excuses. The door is wide open, looking forward to seeing who goes through it!

Like all clubs, I dont think that the Hawks will give this much though, hindsight gets nobody nowhere. Plus JOM cost more than just that pick!

Clarkson quite clearly doesn't rate draft as much as other clubs. Burton slid to Hawthorn's pick because nobody else wanted to take a risk on him*, I don't see trading a couple of picks for JOM as a lot different. Look at this season, the evenness of the comp means a star like Dangerfield or Martin (or a JOM at his best) can lift a team from the pack.

We've built a good list of really decent kids but we need elite talent to win flags. I'm still happy we took the punt on JOM.

*I am still absolutely baffled the Crows didn't pick Burton. With their player retention issues plus the fact they were a strong team in a position to take a risk, that is one of the more bizaare non-draftings I think I've ever seen.

Clarkson sez a lot of things. Easy for him not to rate drafts when majority of Hawks stars came from like 2 super drafts and others top first round picks, you have to agree

Mitchell at 13 is proving to be a steal. You could say Mitchell for pick 7 and JOM for 13. Not all bad.
2017 draft may or may not prove bad for Hawthorn but the 2017 season will give a summer of nightmares for 7 teams who make finals but don't win the premiership. This one is genuinely up for grabs, and I look forward to the excuses. The door is wide open, looking forward to seeing who goes through it!

Next year might be good year for JOM. Hawks medicos will do everything to get him fit and firing so not all hope is lost

Personally I couldn't care less about losing the pick - it's a raffle either way, if they grab a gem que sera sera, it's not a guarantee it's going to make them anymore successful than they already are.

What I am bemused by are the other club supporters who are cheering on the sidelines

Personally I couldn't care less about losing the pick - it's a raffle either way, if they grab a gem que sera sera, it's not a guarantee it's going to make them anymore successful than they already are.

What I am bemused by are the other club supporters who are cheering on the sidelines
There's a hashtag for that.

Sorry about that, l just can't get around those three flags won while the Dons were sacrificed by Gillon and co.

If someone had told me in 2012 we would win the next three, my reply would be that the only thing better than that would be Essendon getting wiped out for drug cheating in that same period. I agree it's been rough..

Tall poppy syndrome (no, not that Poppy).

At the height of our powers people were cheering every perceived weakness that the Cats had. We still get it now, any loss is met with a flurry of activity to decry our downfall. When it finally happens it'll be very sweet for some people who have had to wait a long time and had little else to look forward to. Hawthorn are in the same boat, there are those who have been waiting a long time so any perceived weakness is one they're going to celebrate.

1933 was a last before that lolz. The way hawthorns list is shaping, there is a massive rebuild on its way. Will add to the 11 hawthorn currently has.

By that logic Carlton truly are the greatest of all teams since they did not win their first spoon until 2002.

Your beginning to sound like those people who say Rioli is no good because of statistics.
If you think it's even a bit close between Hill and Henderson then you never appreciated what Hill brought to the team

Hill was ordinary before he was told we'd let him go back home, after which he produced some good footy. Overall 2016 was an average year. I'm not saying Henderson is a better player, he doesn't provide as much run and carry as Hill did, but he does get more of the ball than 2016 Hill did, does use it more efficiently, and he doesn't shirk physical contests which was a constant issue with Hill (although to be fair it wasn't what he was in the team for, and was never his strength, but it did cost us at times).

Clarkson sez a lot of things. Easy for him not to rate drafts when majority of Hawks stars came from like 2 super drafts and others top first round picks, you have to agree

You are completely and utterly wrong.

Number of players in the Hawthorn 2015 Premiership team that we got from a top 10 national draft pick based on our finishing order in that year:
1 (Roughead).

1 player. 21 others came from picks outside the top 10, picks we traded players for, or players we traded in (and 1 player we got through free agency).

Even after trading picks in, we only had 3 players we selected with top 10 picks in the 2015 premiership side (Roughead, Hodge, Lewis), after trading in the picks for Hodge and Lewis with brave (and at the time unpopular) player trades. We did trade some players in that were high picks for their original clubs, however I think the highest of them was Hale who went at #7 in the 2001 draft.

Clarkson doesn't rate early picks for a very good reason. Experience.

If someone had told me in 2012 we would win the next three, my reply would be that the only thing better than that would be Essendon getting wiped out for drug cheating in that same period. I agree it's been rough..

You forget to mention, the Essendon Brownlow medalist giving his medal back, and it getting handed on to a Hawthorn Brownlow medalist. I guess you could say that was part of everything wonderful that flowed from the drug cheating, but personally I think it warrants a separate mention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back