Hawthorn FC worst nightmare the 2017 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

It's great to see that paying over the odds for O'Meara hasn't prevented them from landing more big fish this year.

Jarman Impey is a big get.

yeah those 2nd rounders could have been key in getting us a Josh Kelly type. :rolleyes:

I reckon they'll find a way
Whats wrong with O'Meara, other Hawk people? we got him he'll be fine. Funny how people whinge about Sam and Hodge and Lewis leaving, but then start the panic about getting a top 10 pick player, then worry about O'Meara not being any good. Well I know another Knee man that made good, we are set for another big future.

I sometimes wonder what folks out there want.

Maybe the Hawks are just giving their supporters too much. We'll be fine , get with the program.

It's great to see that paying over the odds for O'Meara hasn't prevented them from landing more big fish this year.

Hawthorn are in general not a big fish hunting club. We chase value. The guys we traded in over the last few years were at the time of the trade considered too old (e.g. Lake), too broken (e.g Burgoyne, and now O'Meara although jury still out on his brokenness), good, but not really elite (e.g Gibson, Big Boy, and probably Hale), or outright s**t (Vickery, probably the one of the few of our recent trades that is shaping up as an overall failure). None of these guys were "best in their position" types when we got them (Lake would have been in his prime, but not when we got him). O'Meara is probably the only player where we took a big value risk, and if he gets on the park regularly next year at near best form, then even he was value given what O'Meara would have been worth without the recent injury history.

It is hard to find examples of where 'getting the big fish' really helped the destination club win a flag. Dangerfield has probably been the best big fish success story, in terms of where his team would be without him, and Geelong can't get beyond a prelim with him. Also, Geelong didn't really hunt him - he fell into their lap - Geelong hasn't historically been a big fish hunter either - this trade period aside. If you were generous, you could say Boyd helped dogs win a flag, but you could also say they were damn lucky he timed his best form ever for when it mattered most. Having your big fish playing his best game ever in a GF, and being ordinary most of the rest of the time is not something you want to rely on for sustained success. Richmond did pretty well this year, with mostly value based acquisitions.

If Ablett plays anywhere near his best then they are ahead if those are the trades. It's a BIG "if" though.

All Gary juniors little ills will slowly disappear from his body and he will have another freak season back at Geelong.

That's my theory , his mental outlook to play for a regularly losing club (GC17) was going down hill.

At Geelong it'll be a rebirth, and top form for maybe 2 seasons. He could just win them that flag!

What a combo Selwood ( the ducker), Dangermouse, Abblett, sheesh!

Though we rubbish them THEY ARE all champions.

Hawthorn are in general not a big fish hunting club. We chase value. The guys we traded in over the last few years were at the time of the trade considered too old (e.g. Lake), too broken (e.g Burgoyne, and now O'Meara although jury still out on his brokenness), good, but not really elite (e.g Gibson, Big Boy, and probably Hale), or outright s**t (Vickery, probably the one of the few of our recent trades that is shaping up as an overall failure). None of these guys were "best in their position" types when we got them (Lake would have been in his prime, but not when we got him). O'Meara is probably the only player where we took a big value risk, and if he gets on the park regularly next year at near best form, then even he was value given what O'Meara would have been worth without the recent injury history.

It is hard to find examples of where 'getting the big fish' really helped the destination club win a flag. Dangerfield has probably been the best big fish success story, in terms of where his team would be without him, and Geelong can't get beyond a prelim with him. Also, Geelong didn't really hunt him - he fell into their lap - Geelong hasn't historically been a big fish hunter either - this trade period aside. If you were generous, you could say Boyd helped dogs win a flag, but you could also say they were damn lucky he timed his best form ever for when it mattered most. Having your big fish playing his best game ever in a GF, and being ordinary most of the rest of the time is not something you want to rely on for sustained success. Richmond did pretty well this year, with mostly value based acquisitions.
I reckon Vickery will have a really good year next year.

Has the Gary Ablett trade now cost Geelong a realistic shot at the 2018 flag?

IN
Ablett

OUT
Motlop
Menzel
Lang
Thurlow
Pick 33

:D
Now now we don’t have your negotiator who didn’t sell the farm... he willingly gave it away for free. ;):p

I thought the conventional main board wisdom was we were a two man team, so clearly we’re not giving up much there then....

Hoping so, but it is easier to see the upside in O'Meara after his last few games of the season than it is in Vickery. Certainly hope for his sake he can have a good year, can't be a nice feeling to go from being one club's whipping boy to playing the same role at your next club. At some point he probably starts thinking "Maybe it is just me after all", which would be unfair, especially given how badly the rest of the Hawthorn team were playing when he was dropped back to Box Hill (and the same could be said for his time at Richmond).

All Gary juniors little ills will slowly disappear from his body and he will have another freak season back at Geelong.

That's my theory , his mental outlook to play for a regularly losing club (GC17) was going down hill.

At Geelong it'll be a rebirth, and top form for maybe 2 seasons. He could just win them that flag!

This seems entirely possible. Didn't see a lot of Gary during the year, but he got GC the win against us in the second (closer) game and looked like his best is still very very good. If being in an environment he's more comfortable in helps his body and mind heal , Geelong will have an insanely good midfield trio. Only hope for the opposition fans will be that Selwood may be on somewhat of a downward arc, but perhaps that is just a false hope created by some injury issues he was playing through in the last few games of the year. Still need to work on their forward line though, and have lost two very good defenders. Can't be starting vital games with your best contested clearance player sitting deep forward if you want to contend for flags.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jarman Impey is a big get.

Impey could be a genuine a grader. Hard as nails, great finishing and pace to burn. Great pickup by the Hawks.

Impey could be a genuine a grader. Hard as nails, great finishing and pace to burn. Great pickup by the Hawks.

He certainly helps fill a void with the lack of express pace we had this year. Didn't help of course having Cyril and Poppy out for most of the year...

Nope. Just doesn't have the mentality or workrate. Coasts by half-assed. Couldn't blow out a candle. Nothing short of a brain transplant will change him. Played 6 games for 0 Peter Crimmins Medal votes. 0!!! Heck, the worst players on our list get at least 1-2 votes per game for just trying. Will rot in the VFL until delisted unless he man's up and grows a pair. Not likely when you're born with a vagina.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back