Hawthorn FC worst nightmare the 2017 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh well, PSD pick 1 is still worth something in theory, I mean who is going to match an RFA bid made by the team who holds PSD pick 1?

Maybe this was the plan all along :fearscream:

My last reply to you shows how little I am gloating over this. Dr Evil and I were having a little joke with each other, he knows I was not serious :)
sorry, did not mean to insinuate you were gloating (I'm between this and the game day thread).
Was agreeing that they would view the pick 1 stuff up this year, should it occur, as a blip given its cushioned by 4 flags in the last decade.
If it was a club who hadn't won one in a long time, then its a disaster.
McEvoy worked out well for both parties
Dunstan is solid and Acres is class. And a 3 time premiership ruckman is always nice to have :)

i saw 4 last century :)
But yes, this is a blip. It hurts cos it was unnecessary and a bit deluded to think Jaeger was worth 3 kids.
Parfitt, Battle and a top 5 kid this year > Jaeger with the ? on his future. He isn't a Treloar style signing where he is a known quantity coming in.

Still the last 10 years has been kinder to them then most, if not all teams so I think we would both wear this current debacle if we were the Hawks with happy memories. Admittedly if either of our clubs did the same thing given the last few years we have had I think pitchforks would be at the ready :p

At Hawthorn, our worst nightmare is not winning the flag every year. We don't measure our success by high draft picks, nor do we celebrate them, unlike your mob.
Carlton-Draft-Picks.jpg

Well these three have become good servants to the clubs and with new coach, new president, new recruiters ect ect ect I expect to continue seeing changes and these 3 part of success with the club over next few years. Bryce might leave and wish him all the best if he does

If they hadn't got JOM and Mitchell, they would then have had to draft a couple of potential picks and then spend a couple of years developing them anyway.

All they've done is fast track the development of some highly valued players.

Gold Coast had 4 top 10 draft picks in 2016 so I think they are doing okay on that front.
true, but 10 was slightly unnecessary in the end (hindsight i know) because they were fortunate no one bidded on Bowes before 10.
They could have still walked away with Ainsworth, Scrimshaw, Brodie, Bowes and 2017 top 5 pick, and just lost a few later picks for Bowes.

If they hadn't got JOM and Mitchell, they would then have had to draft a couple of potential picks and then spend a couple of years developing them anyway.

All they've done is fast track the development of some highly valued players.

These are the picks that Hawthorn had at some point in the 2016 trade period. Now obviously they would not have had all these picks if they went into a normal draft year and obviously they would not have picked these players but it gives you an idea

Pick 12 - Jy Simpkin
Pick 16 - Todd Marshall
Pick 25 - Ben Long
Pick 39 - Josh Battle
Pick 47 - Harrison Macreadie
Pick 52 - Willie Rioli
Pick 61 - Tom Williamson
Pick 63 - Dylan Clark
Pick 65 - Patrick Kerr
Pick 68 - Tim House

The worst yet to come, will be lucky to win one game this year. Clarko will move to coach at Gold Coast or Collingwood, no good coach will want this rabble. Expect Ratten to become the coach. Gibson, Burgers, Birchall, Roughead, Rioli all cooked. O'Meara will never reach his potential and will likely suffer a lot of injury going on. Second tier players shown up to be the spuds they always were, Vickery will stink it up for years. Will be slaughtered in the ruck for a long time. Frawley will retire before they ever make final again. Gunston will look like Johnathan Brown (without the talent) soon (young 3 peat player left frustrated). No Depth at all. Free agents will look past them. No Ceo, weak president, moving riskily to Dingley while utterly rudderless. Expect all the "fair weather" members and supporters to drop off. Gave away draft picks and sold their future. Sold their soul and culture with Mitch and Lewis going.
Expect them to not make finals for 5+ years. Must be the biggest drop off ever by a champion team. Not even Brisbane fell so badly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still think O'Meara is going to be a superstar. Just sit back and wait. Wouldn't be surprised if they had a good crack at Dusty end of the season too.

These are the picks that Hawthorn had at some point in the 2016 trade period. Now obviously they would not have had all these picks if they went into a normal draft year and obviously they would not have picked these players but it gives you an idea

Pick 12 - Jy Simpkin
Pick 16 - Todd Marshall
Pick 25 - Ben Long
Pick 39 - Josh Battle
Pick 52 - Willie Rioli
Pick 61 - Tom Williamson
Pick 63 - Dylan Clark
Pick 65 - Patrick Kerr
Pick 68 - Tim House
12, 16 and 25 will probably be the only ones that turn out any good, and even then it might only be one or two of them. All the others are speculative.

This looks like a monumental stuff up because it seems they will lose a number 1 and 19 (?) pick (It's their first second round pick too, yeah?).

If they had kept Mitchell and Lewis, they may have finished higher (and let's face it, there's still a few games to go) and actually had picks 14 and 32, for example.

They've got two players in JOM and Mitchell who will more than likely be very good and a player in Ty Vickery who may prove useful as partner for Roughead up forward. I'm not sold on Ty but he can be useful, much like Darling for us and the Hawks have developed players very well.

Hawthorn would be love to be a feeder club over next decade. They just don't have the talent worth poaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pick 12 - Jy Simpkin
Pick 16 - Todd Marshall
Pick 25 - Ben Long
Pick 39 - Josh Battle
Pick 52 - Willie Rioli
Pick 61 - Tom Williamson
Pick 63 - Dylan Clark
Pick 65 - Patrick Kerr
Pick 68 - Tim House

Would have had to clear players out to pick them too

Took a full fist of draftees in 2015