xXDaOne2KillXx

Debutant
Jul 3, 2010
Glendale
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Following on from the article posted on the AFL website this morning...
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-24/your-grand-final-heroes,
The author deemed Bob Keedie as Hawthorns greatest GF hero...im not arguing this, in fact I got chills just reading the little excerpt of Bobs feets in the 71 GF...as I have never heard the story, neither was I alive.

The article only has limited focus on the HFC and thought how lucky we are to have many memories, as the club has taken part in many GF's.

Was wondering if everyone would like to share their favourite all time memory from Hawthorn GF's. As the thread suggests it doesn't have to be just your hero...can be a single moment etched in your mind forever, or a piece of commentary that went alongside a play.

Would really like to hear about moments or plays from some of the more experienced posters about moments from some of the GFs prior to 89', as having not seen a Hawthorn GF live before 1989 I think it important that the history of this club be passed on and there is no better place to do it than here...share your knowledge and fondest experiences of the club....

1st time making a thread, I did a little searching for 1 similar but couldnt find it...if it has already been done I believe this type of thread should be locked in with the other important thread, as something all posters should read when they come to this board, at the same time it lets everyone get to know you a bit better.

Last edited:
Ill start...
my greatest memory. In 1991 I was 7yrs old and we lived in Melb...for some reason dad (a massive Hawk) decided we would fly to Perth for the 1st and only time in our lives on GF weekend. 1991 Hawks vs West Coast - with Dad and me a little 7yr old about the only Hawk supporters around. Dad decides to take me to a pub, where after a bit of banter, placed $50 bets with all the locals on the game. I recall them giving him so much crap, and forked out nearly $600 to cover everyone's bet...Everyone huddled around and watched the game on the pub TV (tiny little box TV back than) suffice to say, after the 1st quarter the Eagles supporters didnt say boo and dad walked out $600 richer :)

Favourite moment - 08' Dew to Williams, Williams to Dew, Dew shovels it back out to Williams, Williams GOOOAAALLLLSS...will never ever forget it

Last edited:

See if the boys read a few of these they would get super pumped up...but these are recent ones. What are a few classic moments from older GFs???

I hope you were there in 2013 and will be there in 2014. It would put you in rare air witnessing the club's 2 back to backs.
Will be in spirit, couldn't get tickets last year or this year unfortunately.

The author deemed Bob Keedie as Hawthorns greatest GF hero...im not arguing this, in fact I got chills just reading the little excerpt of Bobs feets in the 61 GF...as I have never heard the story, neither was I alive.

You may wanna tidy this bit up a little... it was Keddie in the 71 GF. ;)

Anyway, I do remember being shocked at Gary Buckenara's attempted mark of the year back in the 1986 GF in the first quarter. He almost pulled it off too, but I thought at the time how ballsy that was, considering he did a knee in the first few minutes of the 83 Grannie and missed the next two GFs as a consequence. So I thought he might have not been so keen to risk injury by potentially colliding with low flying aircraft. He just missed holding onto the grab but made up for it not long after with one of the goals of the year kicking the ball off the ground about 20 metres out without picking it up. It bounced through perfectly. One of the plays of the day.

A personal favourite has to be one of his final, if not the last act of his playing career.

Trent Croad, one on foot knocking over Selwood in 2008. Only a little thing but just exemplifed how much the boys that day were committed to doing whatever it took to win that game.

As stated above the Dew and Williams combination were brilliant, Riolis 1 v 3 contest amazing but seeing Croady limping off and polaxing Selwood is a definite highlight.

mqdefault.jpg

"It was like kids trying to fight their dad" -Brownless​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyway, I do remember being shocked at Gary Buckenara's attempted mark of the year back in the 1986 GF in the first quarter. He almost pulled it off too, but I thought at the time how ballsy that was, considering he did a knee in the first few minutes of the 83 Grannie and missed the next two GFs as a consequence. So I thought he might have not been so keen to risk injury by potentially colliding with low flying aircraft. He just missed holding onto the grab but made up for it not long after with one of the goals of the year kicking the ball off the ground about 20 metres out without picking it up. It bounced through perfectly. One of the plays of the day.

Cheers will edit now.

Love this story but :)

Underrated outside of Hawthorn as a player a little Buckenara?? You never hear him spoken about much, or at the time was he given fan fare in whatever media they had in those days??

Recent one -

"Gee it's a good kick! It is a GREAT KICK! It's one for the ages!!!!"

Probably the only time I've thought Bruce gave a decent call.

Cheers will edit now.

Love this story but :)

Underrated outside of Hawthorn as a player a little Buckenara?? You never hear him spoken about much, or at the time was he given fan fare in whatever media they had in those days??

Bucky was certainly recognised as one of the Hawthorn greats even during his playing days. I certainly have him ranked highly enough to have been in my 'best ever' Hawthorn team on a HFF, until Buddy came along...

Mine would be 89 in it's totality. From Dipper playing with a real chance of death to Dermie chucking up and urinating blood at half time and not telling the doctors about it.

The other would be the passage of play between the D50 and F50 in the 88 GF. No possessions, just manic pressure to move the ball forward at all costs.

Anyway, I do remember being shocked at Gary Buckenara's attempted mark of the year back in the 1986 GF

That's the most endearing memory of that GF for me. Would have been amazing if he'd pulled it in. Never mind though, the soccer goal was almost as good, and that was before soccer goals were practised for hours a week by players.

Mine is in the 1983 Grand Final, second qtr, the hawks had already built up a handy lead over Essendon, and the ball was kicked long into our forward line where Leigh Matthews rose above the pack and took a great grab, and went back and kicked the goal, i am sure this footage is on youtube somewhere too. Once he did that, i knew we were home in 83!

I remember in 91 the eagles jumped out of the blocks, with five straight, or five of the first six goals. Enter Paul Dear, who marked everything in sight, plucking sixteen or eighteen grabs for the day and absolutely dominating. Nothing he did before or after came near, but it was close to the perfect game, and what a day to do it on.

Dew in 2008 is very under rated when the "remember whens" come around. Darren jarman in 97-98 too

When changa broke through for the first hoal it confirmed my feeling we would be right in that game.

Much is made of geelongs missed shots in the first quarter ( even with the fact their forward line was substandard) but the umpires kept them in it in the first with about 10 free kicks to 2

88 when the ball went coast to coast on a wave of bodies with no clear posessions

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back