Prediction Hawthorn Guernsey Numbers in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Ken Judge's last words to his godson Harry Morrison - "Make it." How good would it have been to give Morrison Judge's old number? Who cares if he never plays a game. Opportunity missed.

Anyway, how does Nash get in front of Cousins? That's the only one I got wrong. :(

Would still like to see No.1 return - from at least 1921 (in the VFA) until 1954 that guernsey was offered to the captain and in all bar a handful of seasons was worn by the Hawthorn skipper and is therefore a very significant guernsey in our clubs' history and a pity that it is now considered only worthy to be dished out to random fans.

Yes, it's a trivial concern, but for those of us who are interested in the history of numbers, I'm actually annoyed we don't allocate the number 1 to a top player. From a personal point of view, when I became captain of my team, I proudly asked for number 1 because my childhood hero Peter Hudson had kicked 110 goals in that number.

Four players, Les Kaine, Norm Goss, Ken Judge and Ray Jencke won flags in that number. 12 former captains wore the number. It is a large part of the club's history. To just toss it aside seems bloody ridiculous to me.

However, we're not the only club to do this, I don't think North Melbourne allocate number 1 either for some reason. For some reason, the once exalted number in football, often reserved for club champions and leaders, seems to be massively de-valued in today's football.

Whereas most clubs still allocate lower numbers to their best players, in many cases you see 2,3,4,5, etc allocated to top players but for some mysterious reason, you see 1 allocated to some fringe player who probably won't make it anyway. I just wonder why the number seems to be avoided like the plague.

I can't help but think Jaeger O'Meara asked for 1, his previous number at Gold Coast, and has been given 10 as compensation. Just tack a '0' on the end :)

Found it funny when they asked Hanrahan what number would he like to wear eventually and he says "No 3, but Tom Mitchell will be having that for a while" before Tom had been presented to the crowd.

Below is the official list that was available at Waverley this morning but they forgot to put asterisks behind the recent rookies of Fitzpatrick, Hanrahan and Cousin.

Would still like to see No.1 return - from at least 1921 (in the VFA) until 1954 that guernsey was offered to the captain and in all bar a handful of seasons was worn by the Hawthorn skipper and is therefore a very significant guernsey in our clubs' history and a pity that it is now considered only worthy to be dished out to random fans.

View attachment 318105
Always embarrassing when they misspell a players name.

Always embarrassing when they misspell a players name.

Here's a classic. Richmond had a dinner, it could have been for their Team of the Century, but all the former greats were invited. As a former great, of course Royce Hart was invited. They placed name cards on the tables to assist players with their allocation, but Royce Hart couldn't find his. They eventually found his card, printed on it were the names 'Roy Sart'. :)

Surprised Burton got number 5, would have thought Mitchell Or O'Meara would have got it.
BIG shoes to fill, I guess they really rate him, cant wait for next season!

Surprised Burton got number 5, would have thought Mitchell Or O'Meara would have got it.

Mate, believe me. I know some very good judges in the Crows camp, and they are still spewing they missed out on Burton. We have to do whatever it takes to make sure he never wants to go home, a la Darren Jarman.

I think there's probably a few factors involved with the number allocation, i.e. Player preference, drafted v's traded, etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, believe me. I know some very good judges in the Crows camp, and they are still spewing they missed out on Burton. We have to do whatever it takes to make sure he never wants to go home, a la Darren Jarman.
They had 2 picks before we picked him up. They either didn't rate him too highly or were worried that his injury was bad enough that he would not return to his fulfil his potential.
I believe the crows fans were more devestated he was passed over.

Here's a classic. Richmond had a dinner, it could have been for their Team of the Century, but all the former greats were invited. As a former great, of course Royce Hart was invited. They placed name cards on the tables to assist players with their allocation, but Royce Hart couldn't find his. They eventually found his card, printed on it were the names 'Roy Sart'. :)
Sorry, but is this for real? Somewhat reminds me of Schwarz talking about his car with the number plate THEOX.....and I think the story goes something like....one day he was parked in one of the clubs managers spot because he couldn't find a park and was running late for training. Some moments later this bloke is calling around looking for Theo X to move their car. :p

They had 2 picks before we picked him up. They either didn't rate him too highly or were worried that his injury was bad enough that he would not return to his fulfil his potential.
I believe the crows fans were more devestated he was passed over.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I think the Crows thought nobody would take the risk and they would pick him up later in the draft, or maybe the rookie draft. They thought wrong :)

Absolute amateur hour that the guy introducing the players with new numbers couldnt pronounce OMearas name right. Someone should be sacked for incompetence. J not Yay !!!!
Yeah, I vote for a public beheading.

Really, who gives a s**t?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back