Toast Hawthorn have headf***ed everyone

Remove this Banner Ad

In the latest threepeat thread, designed to troll us. Geelong flogs are still saying its not such a good win if you only beat interstate teams at home on the mcg.

Im happily pointing out that if they do win the flag this year, they have just devalued the win in advance

I'd be inclined to tell them, if that were the case then our 1989, and 2008 don't mean much because we only beat a team from a hick country town.

You don't need any more evidence than the main board at the moment. The reinvention of history to paint Hawthorn and its star players as bog average and forgettable is in full swing.

Don't know why Hawk supporters bother with the main board, it is classic jealous B/S, and a lot of desperate people clutching at straws.

We have the runs on the board, and the cups on the cabinet.

I'd be inclined to tell them, if that were the case then our 1989, and 2008 don't mean much because we only beat a team from a hick country town.

Why would we sell them that line
I'd been more inclined to point out 2007 as the dud

If they do salute, the back pedalling and justifying why this one is different if it's against GWS, is going to make for funny reading

If they do salute, the back pedalling and justifying why this one is different if it's against GWS, is going to make for funny reading

Thy are a strange lot down there. I guess they have too much time on their hands.

They won't salute against GWS..and they will barely get over an injury raddled Swans...they're the real Bradbury this year...having got through a prelim off OUR boot.

Hi guys,

Just saw this so thought I might as well respond. First off, when I mentioned Brisbane making a fourth grand final I did momentarily forget about 2012, so apologies for that.

Secondly, I didn't actually say I believed Brisbane's era was better, I said that people would now ask the question. I think there's arguments for both, but I tend to agree with one of the above posters that comparing eras is a little futile as circumstances change markedly, as they did even between the Lions and Hawks' times in the sun (different amount of teams, different levels of competition etc.)

I'm pretty sure I did also mention how difficult it had been for the Hawks each season they'd won the flag due to different factors, injuries in 2014, tragedy in 2015 etc. And for what it's worth, I've loved watching Hawthorn play. They've never eschewed attack in favour of defence and their success has probably inspired more teams to try to score more rather than concentrate all their energies (a la Fremantle) on shutting opponents down.

Finally, to you Davo, the ol' "no different to BigFooty posters" line is a goody, highly original, and I guess by posting here I'm actually confirming what you're saying. Look, I could waste my time trying to convince you that I'm worthy, 34 years in the business, spending heaps of time researching, talking to people, poring over stats for game trends etc, etc., but really, what's the point if I haven't played at the elite level, right?

Why do SEN employ me? Can't answer that, but I do the best I can, love every minute of it, and hope that you have similar level of job satisfaction in whatever it is you do.

Cheers.

This argument about whose gf wins hold more weight is utter bullshit. Every gf win is significant regardless of who plays who or where one side or another is from.

Unless it's Geelong of course because, as we all know, they are just the greatest of all time and nothing anyone else does meets their high expectations. :D

To be fair to Lance, I'm pretty sure he's just stirring the pot himself there. Maybe I credit him too much.
No doubt he is. One of the sites biggest antagonists, but he's also burnt by our success.

Hi guys,

Just saw this so thought I might as well respond. First off, when I mentioned Brisbane making a fourth grand final I did momentarily forget about 2012, so apologies for that.

Secondly, I didn't actually say I believed Brisbane's era was better, I said that people would now ask the question. I think there's arguments for both, but I tend to agree with one of the above posters that comparing eras is a little futile as circumstances change markedly, as they did even between the Lions and Hawks' times in the sun (different amount of teams, different levels of competition etc.)

I'm pretty sure I did also mention how difficult it had been for the Hawks each season they'd won the flag due to different factors, injuries in 2014, tragedy in 2015 etc. And for what it's worth, I've loved watching Hawthorn play. They've never eschewed attack in favour of defence and their success has probably inspired more teams to try to score more rather than concentrate all their energies (a la Fremantle) on shutting opponents down.

Finally, to you Davo, the ol' "no different to BigFooty posters" line is a goody, highly original, and I guess by posting here I'm actually confirming what you're saying. Look, I could waste my time trying to convince you that I'm worthy, 34 years in the business, spending heaps of time researching, talking to people, poring over stats for game trends etc, etc., but really, what's the point if I haven't played at the elite level, right?

Why do SEN employ me? Can't answer that, but I do the best I can, love every minute of it, and hope that you have similar level of job satisfaction in whatever it is you do.

Cheers.
Rohan, the question is never going to be answered without emotion 48 hours after Hawthorn's loss, and the knee jerk reaction to compare eras straight away is a bit off.

Were people sick and tried of the Lions by 2005? You bet they were.

Would people on social media have lined up to laud them and their players immediately after the 2005 GF, or were they lining up to give them a bit of a sly wack and post stuff like "suck s**t Akermanis!"?
Well, social media is certainly a lot bigger now that it was 12 years ago, but I know that the envy and hatred would've been at similar levels.

You and I both know that to ask which team or threepeat was better is undoubtedly going to be influenced by the amount of time which has passed between now and that teams period of dominance.

I have zero doubt that in 5 years time people on social media and Bigfooty will be able to mention Hodge without calling him a dog or a s**t bloke, and they'll probably even have positive things to say about the team and what is has achieved as a whole, but right now it's too raw and the maulings that Hawthorn have dished out to multiple teams are still too fresh in the minds of many for them to truly be able to appreciate the team, so we have to read thread after thread about how easy Hawthorn have had it in a weak period, how they beat interstate teams, how FA helped them, how almost every player in the side is only good becuase of his teammates.....blah blah blah.

Glad you found my thread though, as I've found the footy media's coverage of "freekickhawthorn" and all the other conspiracy theories about the MRP a joke, and I think you would even agree that the growth and popularity of the TripleM/channel 7 commentary style and backslapping w***ery is bloody embarrassing for a professional sport worth millions.

This argument about whose gf wins hold more weight is utter bullshit. Every gf win is significant regardless of who plays who or where one side or another is from.
Yes I drank less beer after last year bc it didn't feel as worthy to me bc of WCE being another interstate side ....not!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi guys,

Cheers.

Good luck with the show, Rohan. I do think you like to look at things from another angle rather than go the obvious controversy for controversys sake for example. Good listening

If I might be so bold, could you spend some time looking out for the fans re: grand final tickets?

For the last four years, Ive been lucky to attend the grand final each year, and the extra four or five thousand seats which got allocated to each competing team for its members has been fantastic. Much better than 2008

There were significant price increases too, so im seeing it as a hard fought right rather than a privilidge

However if GWS play a few grand finals, the pressure may not be so high, and the allocation might melt away

Please look out for it for us, we will be back

Hi guys,

Cheers.
So, are we comparing Antoly Karpov playing with two queens to Gary Kasperov playing with a legitimate board, or don't you acknowledge the salary cap concessions as having any role to play in comparing the two eras. Frankly, and I believe I am not susceptible to bias here, the only team since 1960 you can compare to this current team is the 1980s Hawks.

Hi guys,

Cheers.

Ha, 34 years; I've been watching footy with my mate Andy since the year before you were born!

My point is that being a journalist gives you no more expertise than I have. The tendency for SEN and Foxtel to employ journalists on their shows means you have nobodies giving their opinions on subjects for which they have minimal authority.

There are many people who watch footy and can comment reasonably competently, but why journalists are considered to have an apparent higher knowledge of the game, I don't understand.

Leave it to the real experts, mate.

Ha, 34 years; I've been watching footy with my mate Andy since the year before you were born!

My point is that being a journalist gives you no more expertise than I have. The tendency for SEN and Foxtel to employ journalists on their shows means you have nobodies giving their opinions on subjects for which they have minimal authority.

There are many people who watch footy and can comment reasonably competently, but why journalists are considered to have an apparent higher knowledge of the game, I don't understand.

Hate to say it, but would you prefer Robin to ex players such as Ling or Carey? The balance of an argument shouldn't be who is stating it, rather the strength and depth of the argument. Admittedly some ex players can give insights into facets of the game, however I'd much prefer a journalist like Whately to comment on the game rather than a grinning yes man like Johnson.

I've been watching football since I was five Davo. I'm now 51. So I've watched the game 46 years. I've covered it professionally for 34 years. So you think someone whose actual job involves studying this stuff 60 or so hours a week, dealing with the people involved, getting to hear first-hand how they go about it and what's involved has no more expertise than you have? Really? Rightio. Let's compare notes sometime. Could be interesting.

So, presuming you're of the "haven't played AFL so haven't got a clue" school Davo, who in your opinion actually is entitled to speak professionally on the game? Someone who played 20-30 years ago? Regardless of how relevant that experience is to today's game? And you do realise, don't you, that even the former player heroes of yours I gather are the "real experts", once they step into the media, are just doing exactly what the rest of us do? Although, with some honourable exceptions, usually putting a lot less time and effort into it.

I could also explain how the role of the media is to convey information coherently to the public, and that the greatest of football minds is useless in a media sense if he can't actually articulate his thoughts.

So again, just out of interest, share your thoughts on exactly who you believe IS qualified to comment on the game, and why? Because I suspect going by your criteria, we'd have either a football media consisting of about half-a-dozen people (which isn't enough), one which speaks only in generalities and bland cliches, or both. Perhaps that's what you'd prefer. But I'm tipping most people who watch football, none of whom are nobodies either, by the way, are a bit more sophisticated than that now.

Anyway, that's enough from me. Promised myself when I did a Q&A on here a few weeks back I wouldn't get sucked into slanging matches with people. I'm not going to bother trying to argue my case with you any more. But I would be interested so see what your response is.

And to the rest of you Hawk fans, have a good off-season and all the best for next year.

Cheers.

I've been watching football since I was five Davo. I'm now 51. So I've watched the game 46 years. I've covered it professionally for 34 years. So you think someone whose actual job involves studying this stuff 60 or so hours a week, dealing with the people involved, getting to hear first-hand how they go about it and what's involved has no more expertise than you have? Really? Rightio. Let's compare notes sometime. Could be interesting.

So, presuming you're of the "haven't played AFL so haven't got a clue" school Davo, who in your opinion actually is entitled to speak professionally on the game? Someone who played 20-30 years ago? Regardless of how relevant that experience is to today's game? And you do realise, don't you, that even the former player heroes of yours I gather are the "real experts", once they step into the media, are just doing exactly what the rest of us do? Although, with some honourable exceptions, usually putting a lot less time and effort into it.

I could also explain how the role of the media is to convey information coherently to the public, and that the greatest of football minds is useless in a media sense if he can't actually articulate his thoughts.

So again, just out of interest, share your thoughts on exactly who you believe IS qualified to comment on the game, and why? Because I suspect going by your criteria, we'd have either a football media consisting of about half-a-dozen people (which isn't enough), one which speaks only in generalities and bland cliches, or both. Perhaps that's what you'd prefer. But I'm tipping most people who watch football, none of whom are nobodies either, by the way, are a bit more sophisticated than that now.

Anyway, that's enough from me. Promised myself when I did a Q&A on here a few weeks back I wouldn't get sucked into slanging matches with people. I'm not going to bother trying to argue my case with you any more. But I would be interested so see what your response is.

And to the rest of you Hawk fans, have a good off-season and all the best for next year.

Cheers.
Don't let the bastards get you down Rohan and please keep us informed of what you hear may be going on over at the Ricoh centre during the offseason in the way of player movement.
Cheers

I'm a trained journo, so I have much to say on these topics. What I will say though is Journalism, in the English world's context especially, is the necessary, yet bastard child of democracy. Hence, on top of doing it's actual job of sheding light on topics important to the wheels of the society they represent, there is a side current of promoting legitimacy of the 'fourth-estate'. On top of that, in recent times, the job has moved from being more 'blue-collar' in its set up to now being something that asks for a university education. This means in many respects, it's also struggling with this aspect of identity also.

I'll never understand the hatred for successful teams. I never hated the Brisbane Lions when they were unstoppable, I wanted someone to knock them off sure, but bloody hell I respected them.

The way some opposition supporters on here and on social media reacted when we lost one Friday night was laughable and embarrassing.

I guess that's the world we live in though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back