News Hawthorn in the media 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don’t bring Barrett’s sliding doors rubbish here. That’s not the Hawthorn footy club in the media.

That’s a desperate article, trying to get clicks every week.

We will catalogue the media of 2023 in here, which may be an interesting journey.

Starting with this fox footy article below, where they’ve almost given Sam the tick of approval for “cutting the list”?

HAWTHORN

Maybe the Hawks didn’t cut too deep?

Sam Mitchell’s young side impressed in Thursday’s clash against Collingwood in a competitive hitout. After looking like getting blown off the park in the opening minutes, Hawthorn fought back and stayed with the Magpies all contest.

It was a promising performance after question marks on whether the Hawks shed too much experience in the off-season – a total of 1181 games including midfield stars Tom Mitchell and Jaeger O’Meara – leaving them with just seven players who’ve played over 100 matches.

Especially after Hawthorn got thumped by Geelong in last week’s match simulation.
But the new-look on-ball brigade led by Jai Newcombe (27 disposals) and James Worpel (30 disposals) looked up to the task, while Pick 7 draftee Cam Mackenzie shone (24 touches, one goal, equal game-high 11 score involvements).
Meanwhile, former Bulldog and SSP signing Fergus Greene was instrumental up forward with three goals to help fill the void left by Jack Gunston and cover Mitch Lewis’ absence.
Of course, it was just a practice game, but there was promising signs that’d fill Hawks fans with more confidence ahead of the season after taking a top four side from last year all the way.
And even if Hawthorn slides down the ladder this season, it was encouraging to see the building blocks for the future already standing up.
“It is a practice match, but for Hawthorn, it’s so much more than that. They’ll get so much out of this against a quality opposition,” Demons great Garry Lyon told Fox Footy.
“And last week which we know they were disappointed they way Geelong handed them and brushed them aside.”
Greene and Mackenzie appear to be virtual locks to play Round 1, while the latter announced himself as genuine Rising Star contender, playing in his first unofficial game for Hawthorn after missing last week’s match simulation against the Cats.
In a season where player development will be the priority, Mackenzie will be among those young Hawks exposed to bigger roles.
“There’s been a lot of talk about Will Ashcroft, but his Sandringham Dragons teammate Mackenzie certainly looks like he’s going to burst onto the scene as well,” Lions champion Jonathan Brown added.

SEN doing a Hawthorn membership day today so there will be plenty of content in their podcasts today

Beautifully done by Sic. Has a maturity about him now that gives you belief that he answers questions with the truth rather than the "one week at a time" style response. Also think we might have a new slogan there...only at Hawthorn.

The only people not picking us to finish in the bottom two are Hawks fans on BigFooty*.

I'm prepared for the media pile-on this season, it's inevitable, let's just hope they see the bigger picture though.

* Edit: Social Media

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon that’s just Shaun and Hodgey taking the pressure off of Sam and the club.
If it was Jordan it would probably be to try and twist the knife

The only people not picking us to finish in the bottom two are Hawks fans on BigFooty.

I'm prepared for the media pile-on this season, it's inevitable, let's just hope they see the bigger picture though.
Sicily mentioned he expected a similar year to last year and potentially slightly better

Last edited:
The only people not picking us to finish in the bottom two are Hawks fans on BigFooty.

Facebook hawks supporter groups have us in the finals.

FWIW, if we can eek out a handful of wins for the year and avoid too many blow outs, I reckon they’ll back off completely. It’s pretty clear what we’re trying to do and there’s enough young talent to hopefully get a few rising star nominations as well.

This is the thing, as a player you need to have belief that things will happen quicker than projected because you don't want to have this expectation of "well we're not gonna be challenging until 2027" because it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. You don't improve any quicker because internally you already have the expectation that you won't.

On his point about last season, Collingwood were competitive in the finals and they were 9 games within 10 points away from being in the bottom 4. You're never as far away as you think and it doesn't ever take as long as you think it will to turn it around, and I'd argue that if it ever takes more than 4 or 5 year it's because you've failed at least one rebuild on the way there.

For us, I don't know where we'll finish. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the bottom 2 but I have no idea because we've got way more unknowns than most other sides in it. I'll be far more confident of making a prediction after a few games into the season.

Last edited:
This is the thing, as a player you need to have belief that things will happen quicker than projected because you don't want to have this expectation of "well we're not gonna be challenging until 2027" because it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. You don't improve any quicker because internally you already have the expectation that you won't.

On his point about last season, Collingwood were competitive in the finals and they were 9 games within 10 points away from being in the bottom 4. You're never as far away as you think and it doesn't ever take as quick as you think it will to turn it around, and I'd argue that if it ever takes more than 4 or 5 year it's because you've failed at least one rebuild on the way there.

For us, I don't know where we'll finish. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the bottom 2 but I have no idea because we've got way more unknowns than most other sides in it. I'll be far more confident of making a prediction after a few games into the season.
Sam spoke with Whately today and said the same thing.

He said that the players need to be in a rush. “It’s later than you think”.

Sam spoke with Whately today and said the same thing.

He said that the players need to be in a rush. “It’s later than you think”.
Must have missed that, not surprising Sam said it. Great minds think alike!

On his point about last season, Collingwood were competitive in the finals and they were 9 games within 10 points away from being in the bottom 4. You're never as far away as you think and it doesn't ever take as quick as you think it will to turn it around, and I'd argue that if it ever takes more than 4 or 5 year it's because you've failed at least one rebuild on the way there.

Personally i feel Sis is saying were playing to win each season. How ever we ackowledge we are rebuilding on the run.

Come 2027 we expect to make the AFL fear us as we dominate here on in for years to come. 😉🤎💛

If it was Jordan it would probably be to try and twist the knife

Sicily mentioned he expected a similar year to last year and potentially slightly better

The captain isn't exactly going to say we are due for a worse season. Not that I think he believes that we will be worse than last season though, but captains are always going to pump the side up a bit.

Facebook hawks supporter groups have us in the finals.

FWIW, if we can eek out a handful of wins for the year and avoid too many blow outs, I reckon they’ll back off completely. It’s pretty clear what we’re trying to do and there’s enough young talent to hopefully get a few rising star nominations as well.

Having read through some of them from time to time I refuse to believe that Hawk supporter Facebook groups are full of real people.

And if they are actual real people that exist in real life then I want their details, I need to know who I can sue for giving me an aneurysm.

Must have missed that, not surprising Sam said it. Great minds think alike!
I think I said in a thread here some time back that the whole “we need to hit the draft for 3 years before we aim for finals” rhetoric is loser talk for this same reason.

Whether you’ve got 13 kids under 19 or only 5, the list needs to be completely aware that continued development and improvement is required. No business(or footy club in this instance) flourishes or succeeds by having easily attainable goals.

It was nice to hear Sam talk about the “it’s later than you think” mantra and how it’s completely relevant to our list even now.

If we finish last, it is not becuase we have gotten it worse. It will be becuase the others have young talent and they have gotten better.

At this stage as long as were going forward were heading in the right direction.

With a bit of luck, players developing as expected and another decent drafting and free agency year it is possible we can over take the bottom 8 quiet quickly.

I think I said in a thread here some time back that the whole “we need to hit the draft for 3 years before we aim for finals” rhetoric is loser talk for this same reason.

Whether you’ve got 13 kids under 19 or only 5, the list needs to be completely aware that continued development and improvement is required. No business(or footy club in this instance) flourishes or succeeds by having easily attainable goals.

It was nice to hear Sam talk about the “it’s later than you think” mantra and how it’s completely relevant to our list even now.
Indeed, people talking like success is 10 years away don't seem to understand that 10 years is a minimum list turnover of 50ish players, and a full career for pretty much anyone over 21 at the start of the rebuild. That's not including attrition of players through free agency and trades if a team continues to suck for an extended period of time.

We've been out of considerations for pretty much 5 years now, time to shoot back up sooner than later.

On his point about last season, Collingwood were competitive in the finals and they were 9 games within 10 points away from being in the bottom 4. You're never as far away as you think and it doesn't ever take as long as you think it will to turn it around, and I'd argue that if it ever takes more than 4 or 5 year it's because you've failed at least one rebuild on the way there.

If we finish last, it is not becuase we have gotten it worse. It will be becuase the others have young talent and they have gotten better.

At this stage as long as were going forward were heading in the right direction.

With a bit of luck, players developing as expected and another decent drafting and free agency year it is possible we can over take the bottom 8 quiet quickly.
I am little bit more pessimistic because injuries happen especially to young players and we already have Lewis injured and his ability to stay fit has been an issue. The season is long and takes a toll on young bodies. Second and probably more importantly youngsters are notoriously inconsistent week to week. If we are out of the bottom 4 we would be doing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back