Training Hawthorn intra-club, Latrobe Uni, 5pm Wednesday 15th

Remove this Banner Ad

Elite kicking is faster than running, Scrimshaw walks into any clubs best 18.
And elite running with elite kicking is god tier, which is what Birchall was.

Scrim is not an elite score launch or score involvements player. He could be if he could using running capability to put himself into more dangerous positions more often. You want him kicking inside fifty while play is transition into our forward line.

He is below average for u contested possessions for his position. That has to change and it can only change via work rate and improving his running capacity.

2021 season highlights. It’s a collection of scrim taking intercept marks and going back behind the mark. That is not faster than running.

Here are his match highlights from port last year. It’s one game but it’s clear in the way he plays is not ever going to be consistently damaging.

And elite running with elite kicking is god tier, which is what Birchall was.

Scrim is not an elite score launch or score involvements player. He could be if he could using running capability to put himself into more dangerous positions more often. You want him kicking inside fifty while play is transition into our forward line.

He is below average for u contested possessions for his position. That has to change and it can only change via work rate and improving his running capacity.

2021 season highlights. It’s a collection of scrim taking intercept marks and going back behind the mark. That is not faster than running.

Here are his match highlights from port last year. It’s one game but it’s clear in the way he plays is not ever going to be consistently damaging.

The dumb part is that he has pace when he wants to use it. Not like CJ or Impey pace, but enough to buy himself 10m - 15m then launch over the next contest, numerous times throughout the game.

The Scrimshaw debate is an interesting one.
I would lump him with CJ, Day and to a lesser extent Morris

All have shown patches of elite football.
None have played consistently elite football. We are hoping/expecting because they are still young that they will naturally develope into consistently elite players. But will they?

I remember when Birch burst on to the scene. Then for a few years he just stagnated and I wondered if he would get there. He did obviously but sometimes improvement is not linear.

They all have elite attributes and so are definetly worth persisting with. Competition will bring out their best and hopefully, at least some, will become AA standard in time.

Last edited:
Another reason to play him forward. Has been exposed to what is required down back. Hopefully he has learnt something. Our best comparison to Jack. Give him four games min.
Now's the time, too.
Development year.

None have played consistently elite football. We are hoping/expecting because they are still young that they will naturally develope into consistently elite players. But will they?

I remember when Birch burst on to the scene. Then for a few years he just stagnated and I wondered if he would get there. He did obviously but sometimes improvement is not linear.

They all have elite attributes and so are definetly worth persisting with. Competition will bring out their best and hopefully, at least some, will become AA standard in time.

I feel a few here forget Scrim is still young and developing his end game. At this stage he is starting 22, that could change as the year go on.

Out of Scrimshaw, CJ and Day I would actually say Scrimmers biggest point of difference is his consistency.

Day and CJ might have higher ceilings when they are "on" but they also have the habit of playing an absolute stinker now and again (given their age not surprising and I really rate both of them as players).

Whereas I have watched Jack since he joined our club and he has very rarely played a bad game. Go back over their game day stats and you will see what I mean.

That's why if find all this talk of Scrimshaw needing to justify his spot a bit odd, for me he is one of the first picked every week just based on his reliability.

Don't think I've seen Ned Long mentioned once in the reports.

How did he go?

Wasn't he lighting up the track?
I have high hopes for Ned Long, snippets of good things in some training reports. Had a sneaky thought he might make a good HHF early days but a lot of competition for spots means if he makes it he is going to have to work his but off. Fingers crossed he does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't believe some of the narrative surrounding Scrimshaw. He's a natural footballer. Sam loves natural footballers. We all do. Unless he sh*ts the bed, he's in.
Reckon some of the commentary is based off his output seemingly plateauing in the past two seasons. He'll need to improve, but so does everyone if we're going to win a premiership.

I can't believe some of the narrative surrounding Scrimshaw. He's a natural footballer. Sam loves natural footballers. We all do. Unless he sh*ts the bed, he's in.
He’s certainly a lock in my 22 but he certainly needs to go up a gear given he’s entering his prime age-wise.

Clearly the coaches think the same considering where he has finished in the PCM the last 2 years.

He’s certainly a lock in my 22 but he certainly needs to go up a gear given he’s entering his prime age-wise.

Clearly the coaches think the same considering where he has finished in the PCM the last 2 years.
Consider this.

As one of his former coaches, I considered Jack a “gift” to Hawthorn, for the pick shuffle we gave up. He is definitely a naturally talented player (rightfully taken at pick 7) who was homesick and wanted out of GC. I was delighted he was coming to us and I told him so myself.

He has clearly been a positive contributor for us, but by the age of 24, frankly I expected he’d be more than he’s currently produced.

I had hoped he would be a better/fitter runner, more intense and ruthless, and someone who would occasionally keep an opponent quiet when the time warranted. Those were his weaknesses 6 years ago….and they still are his weaknesses.

So when I see the likes of Newcombe, Moore, Lewis, Hardwick & Maginness finishing ahead of him in the PCM I think - that’s not due to superior talent, it’s due to superior commitment and work rate.

He can’t change his talent level, but he is fully in control of his work rate and commitment, and both of them have plenty of room to improve.

I feel like the defence might have coasted a little bit over the last few years because they can - they’re oozing talent. I’m not saying there hasn’t been the hard yards but their collective talent helps a bit.

Once all the other lines click they’ll all go up a notch. Even Sis.

Imagine Sis in a cut throat final? Beast mode

As has already been mentioned in this forum, the Hawks have more than enough players to fit into the back six. Added to this we have Sammy's clear message of fast rebounding defenders. This is where I believe Scrimma is vulnerable. If you ranked the back half talent on speed alone, where would Scrimma land? I doubt that he would be in the top half. Scrimshaw, in my eyes, is a great intercept mark, he reads the play well and he is an elite kick. When he came to the club it was basically Sicily and Scrimma doing the intercept work but now there are a number of players that fill that role who also have speed on their resume. I am a big fan and believe that his overall footy smarts and elite kicking provide a great foil for Sicily to go about his work. I would have him in the last line alongside Blank and Hardwick. That enables us to have a number of rotations running off half-back.

I feel like the defence might have coasted a little bit over the last few years because they can - they’re oozing talent. I’m not saying there hasn’t been the hard yards but their collective talent helps a bit.

Once all the other lines click they’ll all go up a notch. Even Sis.

Imagine Sis in a cut throat final? Beast mode
The defence coasts a bit?

Maybe if we’d finished top 4 regularly in the past 4 seasons we could coast a bit.

We’ve been spending a fair bit of time in the wrong half of the ladder and coughing up some big scores along the way.

Why on earth would the defence “coast a bit”….”because they can?”

That’s a blight on them as a group.

The defence coasts a bit?

Maybe if we’d finished top 4 regularly in the past 4 seasons we could coast a bit.

We’ve been spending a fair bit of time in the wrong half of the ladder and coughing up some big scores along the way.

Why on earth would the defence “coast a bit”….”because they can?”

That’s a blight on them as a group.
Probably didn’t phrase myself that well. In fact, because the ball goes in there every five seconds due to a shitty midfield they have been working harder than most.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back