Training Hawthorn intra-club, Latrobe Uni, 5pm Wednesday 15th

Remove this Banner Ad

Different/better angle of the half time scrap

I like what DGB brings. Playing in "B" side and seeing the scores mount against, he brings attitude and mongrel, to show the opposition something. Clearly a player and will show it more with time, games and a couple more kilograms. Backs himself. A lot to like.

I wanted 10 more seconds of footage to see if DGB went again after Kosi gave him a shove to go on with.

Sorry Tops, but I can’t agree with any of this.

Picking players up from one end of the ground that they’re learning and throwing them into another role at the opposite end for 4 games to see if they catch on, is how you destroy players mindsets and announce to the group that you’ve got no confidence in them or what you’re building as a group.

What will build confidence in Denver and others is if the coach backs them in even when they don’t have fantastic games.
I'm a bit torn honestly.
On one hand I do agree that a change for a short period of time is not helpful in developing a player, but on the other hand playing forward changes your mindset and style of play. I look at Hardwick and Sicily who both played forward as juniors and are now our two best defenders and I do think that experience has helped make them the players they are today.

Everyone is different but DGB has the right attributes and attitude so I expect him to grow into a gun player.

Did you miss his Carlton game? was massive in that game

I was at that game and behind the goals in the quarter he was a beast. I went away disappointed that we lost but super excited about what he could be. He was doing it all that quarter. We just need to get him to regain that confidence because Wowee he was good watching closely first hand that day. He has the talent undoubtedly. We just need to unlock it on a consistent basis.

Is it because DGB was a high pick that some expect him to be pushing for All Australian full back already?

I don't think anyone is saying that.

Personally I think its absolutely fair to expect he'd be best 22 after his third pre-season and on an rebuilding team. Clearly he's unlikely there yet, hopefully he is by the end of 2023.

So many posters are really just hypersensitive to perceived criticism. It is fair to raise expectations for DGB this year, simply being best 22 isn't really asking much.

Yes we can reference Rance. But equally we can reference Thorp. Neither is really accurate. Who knows.

Dekonning was amazing year three. Look at Weitering, people questioned him and he was levels above DGB at this stage. Pretty sure Leaver was almost AA by year three.

Naughton, the King brothers. All tall, all showed much more early.

Bias off, it's genuinely in the balance. Time will tell.

Having watched the highlights posted earlier, DGB was "almost" in everything. From the point I noticed it happening, I nearly hit double figures in the times he was standing on the mark while Gold had a shot at goal. Variety of players (Kosi, Greene, Reeves, Brockman and #43) too, so perhaps Gold targetted GB as a way for us learn and then adjust to the tactic teams will use against us.

Perhaps our new confidence in actually being able to kick a score is misplaced - unless we can find a way to have Denver line up for the opposition each week.

Some highlights from the Hawks website. Those two clips of Hustwaite in traffic and Weddle taking the game on are fantastic.

Greene really is a Gunston clone put the 19 on his back and spot the difference.

Moore is all class these days, v.c written all over him.

The half forward line is all class, if they keep injury free Moore,Breust,Wingard. Brockman/Butler to rotate in the pocket.

My biggest query is the two key pillars up fwd. Who will get on the end of this?

Greene really is a Gunston clone put the 19 on his back and spot the difference.

Moore is all class these days, v.c written all over him.

The half forward line is all class, if they keep injury free Moore,Breust,Wingard. Brockman/Butler to rotate in the pocket.

My biggest query is the two key pillars up fwd. Who will get on the end of this?
It's Kosi and a resting Ruck.

Most pleasing thing (KPF wise) about last night was that Kosi was clunking everything. 7 set shots on goal.
If he tidies up his finishing he will developing nicely.

Time will tell but looks like so far, he will take on the challenge as being the number one target in Lewis's absence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry Tops, but I can’t agree with any of this.

Picking players up from one end of the ground that they’re learning and throwing them into another role at the opposite end for 4 games to see if they catch on, is how you destroy players mindsets and announce to the group that you’ve got no confidence in them or what you’re building as a group.

What will build confidence in Denver and others is if the coach backs them in even when they don’t have fantastic games.
It is a very good point, but we have significant shortages at one end of the ground and a mix of blokes who may not even get a game in defence. Dimma excluded of course.

Well, we'll most likely go to the draft plus maybe a Free Agent.

And they will take at least 2-3 years to develop.

That's why preseason is so good, we can be optimistic but deep down we know we will most likely struggle.
Agree. But regardless of the FA approach and develop our own via the Draft, (which I agree with by the way) we need to expose ALL on the current List to being forwards. Time is marching, we may not get the chance to delay. We must push the current List and find out what they ALL can do.

It's Kosi and a resting Ruck.

Most pleasing thing (KPF wise) about last night was that Kosi was clunking everything. 7 set shots on goal.
If he tidies up his finishing he will developing nicely.

Time will tell but looks like so far, he will take on the challenge as being the number one target in Lewis's absence.
I think this will be the first option, I am not sold on Kosi as a KPF. I like him as a spot up target. Time will tell against a quailty defence.

• Kosi and a Ruck. rotating Ruck/KPF
  • Kosi / Jeka or a unknown.
  • 3 Rucks with the small bridage as crazy as it sounds they are all fit.

Crazy to think he wouldn’t be in our best 22, but reckon there’s anything to read into Scrim being in the Bs team for the intraclub?

Not like we don’t have an abundance of half backs.

I certainly have him ahead of Bramble, yet he was in the As and Scrim in the Bs.

Chill, we're getting Caddy and McCabe in a few months time
Yes. Agree. Let’s hope we get the two of them. But let’s see what else we have.
Our forward line is going to take enormous work. Enormous work. It is going to mean we are going to need to find smalls and KPF’s. We only have one KPF. He is long term injured. We need an athletic and vibrant CHF, a huge asset, as well as a third tall who can take a strong mark and kick a match winning goal. Serong may be the one but we have a long, long way to go.

Amazes me how Nash is excluded from the conversation of the potential midfield group.
I’ve probably gone to some sessions focusing on the new talent for the future a bit and forgot about others but I’m a massive fan of Nash since Mitch moved him into the guts at BH. At 197cm we won’t be getting bullied anymore ….. with his rugby and Gaelic background it’s the best part of the ground for the young man 👍

Crazy to think he wouldn’t be in our best 22, but reckon there’s anything to read into Scrim being in the Bs team for the intraclub?

I certainly have him ahead of Bramble, yet he was in the As and Scrim in the Bs.
I wouldn't read anything into it.

Scrimmers is a class player and is a walk up start for our 22 every week.

Probably just a team balance thing for the interclub match.

Nah, they were swapping players around a lot. I reckon it was more about testing Scrimshaw and DGB against the senior forwards, it's better for their development then feasting on the Box Hill boys.

Surprised not to see any Josh Ward or Cam Mackenzie highlights in the video, considering many in attendance were saying they were great on the night.
Both were quite good on the night and very assured with their disposal, but they’ve edited down a 4 quarter game pretty heavily.

Frenchy has time when he gets the ball and is very deliberate with how he places it onto his boot. He’s going to be a joy to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back