Hawthorn kick up a stink, get Showdown's slated Friday fixture.

Remove this Banner Ad

Disgraceful if true
https://www.triplem.com.au/shows/th...delaide-port-adelaide-a-friday-night-showdown

Tredrea getting which one it was muddle up. Round 16 Showdown fixture swapped with Hawthorn vs. Collingwood.
Completely true, infact it was going to be the first double header as we were going to play the same day as the Bombers/Swans or the Dogs or Geelong. But Kennett didn't want to lose ticket sales as people would just stick around or hide in the dunnies for an hour and get free admission to the hawks/pies game

In the clip Tredrea mentions the round 8 fixture being shifted because Hawthorn wanted to play a "big Victorian team" out of Tassie (I'm guessing they got Carlton because that's the only Victorian team they play down there, which they do in round 6, also WTF). Not sure how that lead to the Showdown being taken off Friday Night, but Essendon's draw leading up to their Friday Night game that round is weird. They play Friday in Round 5 (Good Friday), Thursday in R6 (ANZAC Day), Sunday in R7 and back to Friday in R8, to me that seems like a bodge job to try and get something other than the Showdown on Friday Night.

As a neutral, I'd much rather watch the showdown too
But honestly, one of the Adelaide v Eagles games should've been a Friday Night match
Would receive more of a national audience than either an all-Vic or an all-SA clash, and there have been some cracking Friday night games between these 2 sides in the past .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why’s Essendon vs Sydney at the G though? Put that one where it belongs at Marvel, Dogs vs Geelong on Sunday, Hawthorn vs Collingwood at the G on Saturday and then there’s your Friday Night Showdown.
Sydney are one of the higher drawing non-Vic teams. Also, they only have 2x games at the MCG this year including that one, and it makes up for the Richmond and Carlton games being at Marvel. I'm all for non-Vic teams getting experience at the MCG. 3 should be the minimum for non-Vic sides who made the finals IMO (and 2 should be the minimum for any non-Vic side, so Port and Adelaide got ripped off with 1 like my team did in 2015)

Why’s Essendon vs Sydney at the G though? Put that one where it belongs at Marvel, Dogs vs Geelong on Sunday, Hawthorn vs Collingwood at the G on Saturday and then there’s your Friday Night Showdown.

Yeah strange, don’t reckon we’ve played them at the G since Docklands opened. And it’s never sold out.

Want to have a bet you won’t be top 4 in 2019.

Have a look at the Showdown history - the occasion blowout but generally close games.

Any of the top 12 from last year could feasibly make top 4, having recorded 12 wins.

However, some of the 12 will trend to the top and some will trend to the bottom.

Hawks are in the first group and Adelaide and port in the latter.

It was a funny season though. Although hawks were top 4 and might easily have been top 2, they beat top 8 teams while they weren’t actually in the top 8. So maybe luck did run the right way, and the Adelaide clubs apparently ambushed themselves.
While the hawks finals results were broadly similar in 2018 to 2016, I did get the vibe we are stronger. I think the direction is up

Hawthorn is getting a bit of a reputation for having a tantrum in the supermarket and their parents just buying them whatever they want in order to shut Hawthorn up.
Sound or jaws dropping and hitting floor.

Can we have a franklin or a Lockett? We could really do with one.

Hawthorn is getting a bit of a reputation for having a tantrum in the supermarket and their parents just buying them whatever they want in order to shut Hawthorn up.
If they'd given us what we wanted we would have less Sunday games and more primetime home games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back