Autopsy Hawthorn loses to Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

The effort against Sydney was rubbish and Clarkson knew after we just rolled over it was time to start to find the next group of hungry players that wanted to drive us towards our next era of success. The changes he made were spot on.

The love for Howe on here is crazy. He is a deer in headlights. People can trot out “he has big size rubbish “ but unless you can find your own ball and distribute it to a player in a better position, then you are wasting space. Shiels plays that role.

Duryea is next. Has lost all composure wth ball in hand. Time for us to find another small man who can defend and show some poise.

I think Daniel Howe goes alright. Got a lot of ball this year and been playing as a tagger.

I thought we were just making our way through the list. If I wander down to Waverley wearing the number 1 on my back, I wonder if I'll get a call up? :think: :p

lol.

It's a bit like that with some of the board members here. One bad game in the seniors and it's out with the old and in with the nucleus...

I thought we were just making our way through the list. If I wander down to Waverley wearing the number 1 on my back, I wonder if I'll get a call up? :think: :p
Just take the 6 off.

Hodge held our paper thin defense together just with sheer presence alone. Watch the way the Brisbane defenders just attacked every contest knowing that the next one in line is covering his arse because of Hodgey's guidance knowing exactly where to place them.

We miss him big time. He's slow and he's lost the penetration in his kicking long ago but his leadership and tactical nous is sorely missed. Our young defense looks lost. The only time our defense functions is through talent alone with Hardwick and Sicily playing big games.
Don't underestimate our loss of Gibbo. He was a defensive giant who we miss greatly in defensive play and starting attacks.
One of our greatest backs who is difficult to replace.

Don't underestimate our loss of Gibbo. He was a defensive giant who we miss greatly in defensive play and starting attacks.
One of our greatest backs who is difficult to replace.
He was the quintessential team player how many time did he come across to effect the spoil leaving his man to do so. We need players who can play that role it's totally selfless and probably meant he wasn't lauded as much as he should have been for his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand why Brand is seen as suddenly not AFL quality this year after his first game back against a player who is likely going to be one of the best forwards in the competition. Brand is not a star defender, and IMO is not better value than Frawley at the moment, but one poor game against the likes of Hipwood shouldn't get his papers stamped. Seemed to be an ok one-on-one defender last year when he got a few games in a row. This doesn't mean he'll win every contest, and will not have games where his opponent gets the better of him - he's not Lake , or even Frawley, but he's still developing and shouldn't be thrown under the bus at this stage.
Agree. Last year when given a continuity of games he performed well and got better the longer he was there. Putting him in for one game and dropping him would ruin any confidence he has. Even if Frawley comes in he should stay with the Eagles having 3 talls up forward.
Yesterday the Lions midfield were under no pressure when they delivered the ball. When this happens no backline will contain their forwards. This maybe why Brand was scragging.

Would of accepted a loss even thou I expected a win! It Was always a danger game with Hodge and Fagan knowledge.

But let's face it we threw in the towel literally gave up that last qtr. That to go with throwing the game late against sydney.
Our leaders must stand up very un hawthorn like, while we will never replace mitchell,Lewis, Hodge on field leadership. I feel roughy and shiels are not doing enough and there not alone Smith,bruest,mcevoy,gunston should be better on field direction. Who wants to be the young bull to take this great club forward beause right now I don't see anyone putting there hand up to be the next captain.
I left tom out of this he always puts his head over the ball.

Well you’re a fan - the 1 guernsey is yours!

Did Hodgey retire because he was going to get tapped on the shoulder like Sam and Jordie?
Because if his reason was his body has had enough, and then, after his retirement was announced Fages approached him, then that's OK.
However, if it was arranged between the two before Hodgey's contract talks were held, then I am disappointed with both parties.

We don't miss the physical Hodge as much as the General, and his commands. If Mirra can step into this role it will be a bonus for us.

At the presser with Clarkson announcing his retirement, I recall Hodge saying if he stayed it would mean one less spot in the team for a younger player. Those aren't the words of someone who thinks he is cooked and I had the impression it was the club calling time on his Hawthorn career.

At the presser with Clarkson announcing his retirement, I recall Hodge saying if he stayed it would mean one less spot in the team for a younger player. Those aren't the words of someone who thinks he is cooked and I had the impression it was the club calling time on his Hawthorn career.

Man, you gave me a heart attack while my in shock brain tried to process the rest of the sentence.

I had a bad feeling all week about this game, and said to the missus all week we would get rolled easily.

The funny thing is I have a much much much better feeling about this week.

Go figure.
I also. I think we’ll push West Coke.

Agree. Last year when given a continuity of games he performed well and got better the longer he was there. Putting him in for one game and dropping him would ruin any confidence he has. Even if Frawley comes in he should stay with the Eagles having 3 talls up forward.
Yesterday the Lions midfield were under no pressure when they delivered the ball. When this happens no backline will contain their forwards. This maybe why Brand was scragging.

This I agree with. If you don't rate him as a potential Hawthorn player at all, then you don't want to see him picked, period. There are posters on here who feel this way. But if you are even abit unsure, I don't see value in hanging him out to dry for a single week (in which we exerted very little pressure on Brisbane ball carrier), watch him scramble and lose confidence, and then drop him the next week. He looked awful at times on the weekend, but he was not the primary reason we lost that game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back