Autopsy Hawthorn loses to Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

At the presser with Clarkson announcing his retirement, I recall Hodge saying if he stayed it would mean one less spot in the team for a younger player. Those aren't the words of someone who thinks he is cooked and I had the impression it was the club calling time on his Hawthorn career.

Why do we care?
Hodge was VERY ordinary for us last year in games. Missed tackles, miss kicks and played like a grumpy old man and to be honest for those that have missed Brisbane games this year he has been very ordinary as well.

He was always going to play a decent game against us but his time at Hawthorn was up. The fact he is getting massive coin for a retirement fund up in Brisbane is just good luck to him.

Only thing stopping me launching a tirade at the tv the week before against the Swans was the ambivalent wife sitting on the couch next to me and the kid in bed just around the corner...

Flew down for this one though, and sat in the corner pocket left tv side right near Hodgey. He was the reason I came down, last chance to see the great man. Don't mind Brisbane, it was good to hear the now usually echoey stadium chanting Lions, and I was there in the days when they were getting 35k every match - footy needs this. Sucked it was us, but we were clueless at HB...6 changes, only one through injury, and it just hadn't sunk in...so much for the replacement soldier mantra of Clarkson's coaching. Having said that, I reckon he pencilled this in, and has been either unhappy recently despite the wins or willing to experiment with his kids this week - expect a surprisingly good showing at home v WC...

The real insult to injury was the scoreboard, which crashed just after half time - the ground announcer had a great time reading the scores out every time they changed to the adoring crowd, and you could hear him rubbing it in every time he spoke...! Good night otherwise...god I miss real footy up here on Mars, or as Earthlings know it, Far North Queensland...

Brisbane played good footy against us, the team that played against us wasnt the bottom side, their flow and accurate goal kicking belies their record

Brand, Duryea and Cousins were woeful

Lewis was better than TOB, but it didnt matter, Worpel looked good again, even with low poss he does good things

our mids and half forwards ect are still bombing it to 20m expecting results, this tactic is BAD, how about spot up a lead and kick into space?

our midfield is still a problem and losing Howe and O'Meara hurt

Mirra did really well also, but the lions just had too much momentum and our mids and backs were a bit lazy except for a few exceptions

after seeing this game it makes you reasses where we are, i thought we may be a contender behind 2-3 teams, now i realise were a top 8 team with a lot of list cloggers holding back our list. top 6 is realistic imo, but this weak footy wont be good enough to challenge in the finals series, our backline is a bit unstable, our midfield wouldnt be in the top 10 in the AFL and our forwardline is struggling to cope with the long balls to 20m out...

For one very horrible moment I thought our boys weren’t going to get around Worpel when he kicked his first.

All was forgiven when they did - the “team” is still out there

For one very horrible moment I thought our boys weren’t going to get around Worpel when he kicked his first.

All was forgiven when they did - the “team” is still out there
I saw that too, but equally when Robinson jumped into Sicily’s head the lack of retaliation was appalling.

I saw that too, but equally when Robinson jumped into Sicily’s head the lack of retaliation was appalling.

Was just about to post it. Don’t suppose Sicily got any love from the tribunal - even a fine or was it deemed “accidental”

I had a bad feeling all week about this game, and said to the missus all week we would get rolled easily.

The funny thing is I have a much much much better feeling about this week.

Go figure.

I am the same. Backed Brisbane to win last week and will back Hawks this week. Teams that have a run and carry game style kill us. Also Hodge played out of his skin.

At least you didnt pay air fare to go and see that.
No but I did in 2013 to go watch Hawks vs Richmond and we had our worst loss of the year that year as well. I'm just not gonna go to anymore ******* games.

Had a weekend flying south to Brisbane planned but then my roster shifted a month out. Sad then, but looks good now, as it would have been a $500 weekend to watch a disheartening flogging.

In theory it seems good to go to the AFL when the Hawks come to your state, but after that serve of fresh steaming monkey turd I'll be thinking hard before next time.

A loss of this magnitude has real potential to derail the season. So hopefully internally we put this one down as an anomaly (hot weather, inexperienced lineup, off day etc) and move on. A big win against the Eagles and we're back on track.

Was just about to post it. Don’t suppose Sicily got any love from the tribunal - even a fine or was it deemed “accidental”

Wow, now that was certainly intentional. Not even hidden well. If Sicily had done that the discussion wouldn’t be around was it intentional or not. It would be about how many weeks he should get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First I've seen that. Just as deliberate and with far more force and potential for injury than the 2 incidents Sicily has been done for.

Any redeeming qualities to justify watching this game (haven't seen it) or simply delete from the box and be thankful I didn't see it?
I just saw it for the second time. If you're watching Hawthorn play its always worth it IMO win or lose :thumbsu:

Article from Sam McClure from The Age describing Sicily as an irritant. Isn’t Sicily the victim here? EAD McClure!!!

We all know Sic is no angel but he does get targeted by the opposition (and fair enough I guess) but now the media is taking pot shots. I thought the media’s job is to present news in an unbiased manner. Bloody Cockroaches!!!

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/franklin-free-after-hamling-hit-20180521-p4zgm9.html

View attachment 500651

Just feck right off you parasites

Remove this Banner Ad

Back