Player Watch Hawthorn NGA 2021 and beyond

This has proven to be much harder than maybe it should be, with quite a few nights of 20+ tabs open in chrome, numerous queries with AFL media heads and Bigfooty draft watchers, I’ve been able to put together a list of our Next Generation Academy players that we can keep an eye on over the coming years.

Theres just not much info regarding the NGA of any clubs. There's the odd snippet in an article, a instagram pic of nameless faces, and generally just very little to confirm who is in each clubs NGA, and if that is still the case.

So while I have been able to get these lists together I’m quite confident of some players being part of out NGA, and others I’m left to assume they’re still part of the academy but need to be confirmed - this is hard to ascertain as there has been literally zero comms from the HFC regarding who is or isn’t part of the academy for the last 2-3 years.

In short, with certainty I have a list of players eligigle for the 2022 and 2023 Drafts, but I'm yet to confirm the 2021 crew 100%.

2023 Draft eligible players.

Be aware that they are under 16, and could literally quit playing the game at any point.

Male Kickstart 2020(indigenous NGA) - 2023 draft

Name: Suburb: AFL NGA:

Baldwin, Jack Boronia Hawthorn

Davies, Joshua Mitcham Hawthorn

Harrison, Latrell Bairnsdale Hawthorn

Hartman, Jett Mooroolbark Hawthorn

Rutherford, Noah Bairnsdale Hawthorn

Somerville, Nate Wy Yung Hawthorn

Winmar, Phillip Cape Paterson Hawthorn

Male All Nations 2020(multicultural NGA) - 2023 Draft

First Name Last Name Suburb NGA

Iliro Smit Mooroolbark Hawthorn

Last edited:
For season 2021 we should be keeping an eye out for the following names who were linked to our Academy back in 2018. It’s important to note that they may no longer be playing football or part of the NGA for whatever reason.

Indigenous NGA 2021 draft

James Hood, East Bairnsdale
Dylan Bryant, Gippsland
Jacob Cunico, Hazelwood South

International 2021 draft

Douth Jock, South Sudan, Pakenham
Ben Bourke, Lebanon, Yarra Junction
Emiliano Alexio, Argentina, Croydon
Elliot Triegaardt, Mauritius, Rowville
Zachary Cileceken, Turkey, Croydon
Tyreece Leiu, Samoa, Lysterfield no longer in NGA

The following three players to watch for in 2021 are a little less unknown, and although I’ve failed to find any specific commentary declaring them as HFC NGA players for 2021, eDPS on the draft board has suggested that they were part of the Under 16 World team, and all three were set to play bottom age for Eastern Ranges in 2020.

Elliot Triegaardt, Mauritius, Rowville.
191 cm forward, Eastern Ranges, who I have spotted next to Connor Downie in HFC NGA photos on Instagram amongst other NGA pics - which is about as confirmed as it can get right now.
Football Strengths: Marking, Mobility & Speed

Zachary Cileceken, Turkey, Croydon. 194cm(+) key tall for Eastern Ranges, who has been used as a swingman. Played as ruck in Under 16’s, but has also played as an intercepting key defender.
Football Strengths: 2nd Efforts

no longer in NGA Tyreece Leiu, Samoa, Lysterfield. 194cm centreman for Eastern Ranges. Played Vic Metro U16 carnival in 2019. Is seen to be the best of this group.
Football Strengths: Physicality, Winning Own Ball & Clean Hands

NOTE: While these three players certainly seemed to be HFC NGA players when the below picture was taken in 2018, as I have previously posted, it's only 98% confirmed that they are in our NGA heading into 2021.

F3331F44-26AD-4B57-BFEE-9B4F8C9324A5.jpeg

no longer in Hawks NGA
Tyreece Leiu, Samoa, Lysterfield. 194cm centreman for Eastern Ranges.
Football Strengths: Physicality, Winning Own Ball & Clean Hands

He was named in the Eastern Ranges U18 Summer Training Squad - Phase 2 : Post Christmas

From Draft Central, talking about Eastern Ranges players to watch coming into 2020.
“The other one is Tyreece Leiu who is a really big-bodied mid who will probably progress to a Paddy Cripps type size because now he is about 194 and 90 kilos. “He had a back stress fracture pre Christmas and he’s back running now, coming up to speed and now targeting probably around late April from a playing perspective, he’s progressing well. “Those three are probably the standout bottom-agers to this stage and then really it’s up to the rest of the crop to put their hand up which is exciting again.” Eastern Ranges Talent Manager, Sean Toohey, March 2020

Represented Vic Metro U16 in 2019.
VIC Metro continued its winning start to the Under 16 national carnival, overcoming a wayward start to outgun South Australia 5.15 (45) to 3.6 (24) on the Southport mud pool.

Metro had a wealth of contributors in a big effort across the board, with Brooks one of their leaders on the back of 23 disposals and two goals from midfield. Howes was the only other multiple goal kicker, with his two majors in the second term setting up Metro’s win. Tyreece Leiu led his side’s disposals with 24, while Ward enjoyed a big first half up forward to finish with 22 touches, Tyler Sonsie was clean through midfield with his 21, and skipper Josh Sinn had 19 – including five clearances. - Draft Central.

Tyreece(pictured middle), selected for Vic Metro under 16 - 2019. Tyler Sonsie(left), who is a predicted top 3 pick heading into 2021. Jake Soligo, right.

tyreece leiu.jpg

Zachary Cileceken, Turkey, Croydon. 194cm(+) key tall for Eastern Ranges, who has been used as a swingman. Played as ruck in Under 16’s, but has also played as an intercepting key defender.

April 15, 2019
THE Laguntas and Jim Stynes Program sides battled it out at Punt Road Oval on Friday, with the Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander side coming out 10.13 (73) to 8.2 (50) victors.
Zach Cileceken played a monster role down back in the first half, with some outstanding intercept marks, and was thrown forward late on to no avail.

He was named in the Eastern Ranges U18 Summer Training Squad - Phase 2 : Post Christmas

zach.jpeg

Elliot Triegaardt, Mauritius, Rowville. 191 cm forward, Eastern Ranges.
Football Strengths: Marking, Mobility & Speed

Not a lot written about Elliot, that I can find, but he's clearly pictured in a number of pictures on the Hawks NGA instagram account with Downie and others.

elliot.jpeg

April 15, 2019
THE Laguntas and Jim Stynes Program sides battled it out at Punt Road Oval on Friday, with the Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander side coming out 10.13 (73) to 8.2 (50) victors.
Zach Cileceken played a monster role down back in the first half, with some outstanding intercept marks, and was thrown forward late on to no avail.

View attachment 979149

Kid looks like he's got the potential makings of a cult hero.

Scrads

Club Legend
May 31, 2009
South Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Atlanta Hawks
Thanks for all the hard work digging around, SYL!

It's worth noting that in 2021 we only have the ability to match a bid on a player outside the Top 20 picks and from 2022 that will change to outside the Top 40 picks as per the recent AFL rule changes (to avoid the situation we had this year with JUH).

I'm not trying to get ahead of ourselves that many/any of these guys will make the grade in the AFL or be rated as top picks when their draft year comes, but if the 2022+ rules had applied this year we would not have had the right to match the bid for Downie.

It's worth noting that in 2021 we only have the ability to match a bid on a player outside the Top 20 picks and from 2022 that will change to outside the Top 40 picks as per the recent AFL rule changes (to avoid the situation we had this year with JUH).

I'm not trying to get ahead of ourselves that many/any of these guys will make the grade in the AFL or be rated as top picks when their draft year comes, but if the 2022+ rules had applied this year we would not have had the right to match the bid for Downie.

Yes, and at this stage the projected “best” player of our 2021 crop, Tyreece, is slated for a second or third round pick, so he just needs to plateau now. 😂

All this is going to do is encourage some clubs to try and hide players and other shenanigans to get them to slide. Would have been better off just changing the bidding rules to ensure clubs had to match with a single pick that is within the discount range. That way Bulldogs would have had to have matched with at least pick 2. The further down the draft bids come then the greater the range of picks you can use to match becomes. Which is fair because the later you get the less difference in rating between players compared to the pointy end.

Just had it confirmed to me at Leiu is not in the Hawks NGA, that’s a bummer but Cileceken and Triegaardt as still two names to look out for
Cheers, any reasoning as to how or why players drop out?

Slick

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Berwick
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cheers, any reasoning as to how or why players drop out?
Tyreece was in the NGA programs up until he was 15 years old but didn't qualify for Level 2, which is what ties the players to clubs. In this case to the Hawks.

As eDPS mentioned, Cileceken and Triegaardt are still tied to us and both are worth keeping an eye on over the course of the year. They would be speculative picks from what I've been told, both have a bit of work to do to make the grade. Triegaardt is a powerful unit with potential to develop into a big bodied mid.

May 4, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Seems to me that Leiu not eligible because he no longer fit the criteria.

Level 2 is the following:
Involved in part one of the Hawthorn Next Generation Academy and
Be Indigenous or Torres Strait islander or
Be from Asian descent or
Be from African descent or
Both parents born in a culturally and linguistically diverse country (CALD)

Don't think Samoa fits the 'CALD' definition.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
some vision of Tyreece Leiu (#46 blue) Mod edit - No longer part of our NGA

first contest at 40:35 - wins it 60m out and kicks to goal square contest (had Downie running past in the centre #20 blue)
44:55 - tackle and free kick 40m out straight in front - kicks goal from 48m

Last edited:
some vision of Tyreece Lieu (#46 blue)

first contest at 40:35 - wins it 60m out and kicks to goal square contest (had Downie running past in the centre #20 blue)

Massive push in the back he's got away with there - can see Geelong wanting him as their next FF

some vision of Tyreece Leiu (#46 blue)

44:55 - tackle and free kick 40m out straight in front - kicks goal from 48m

No longer part of our NGA

true, i added another time stamp where he tackles gets a free and kicks a goal from 48m out approx, he is a 16 year old here from 2019 for context.
You like him, from what you've seen?

Can you give us a brief description of attributes & position played etc.?

*Please be careful not to be too positive & definitely don't compare him to past greats - some posters hate that s**t... :rolleyes:

Back