Hawthorn Premiership Odds

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick question Back One Out...

Last year your premiership players weren't interested and you got thrashed every other week because your young brigade were no good.
This year your premiership players have taken a little bit more of an interest so you've won a few more games, but your young brigade are still not really up to it.

Do you think there is any truth to it?

If there is, shouldn't you be like 100-1?
Out of interest can you give me one example of a top 8 team that is lead by it's younger players? Morrison Worpel, Hardwick, Miles and in recent weeks Burton have all stood up in big games against some in form teams in front of big crowds and shown they can compete. They don't need to come in and be best on ground for us, they have a role to play and shown they can play that role in big moments already.

All are showing improvement the more games they are playing and will benefit greatly from experiencing these types of games and hopefully a few finals at least. I would say our young brigade is showing as much as any of the other top 8 teams at the moment, may not be as impressive as some of the young talent at teams like the Lions, but that is to be expected.

Haha, god damn you are an angry little bugger aren't you!

Im not a 'bitter and twisted' person, I was there in 2012 and Sydney deserved the win. The last quarter was such a good contest.

A lot of Swans fans are still looking for validation after that win. They feel they haven't been adequately lauded as yet.

Quick question Back One Out...

Last year your premiership players weren't interested and you got thrashed every other week because your young brigade were no good.
This year your premiership players have taken a little bit more of an interest so you've won a few more games, but your young brigade are still not really up to it.

Do you think there is any truth to it?

If there is, shouldn't you be like 100-1?
I'm afraid both young and old are looking to be 'up and about', there's a certain buzz on the field as we seem to be able to hunt in packs again, like in the Premiership years. And that 5th best midfielder, well, he might get the Charlie.

Be afraid.

I don’t think the Hawks are up to winning it. Although it looks like a fairly even/weak final 8.

One thing though is that Of all the top 8 teams, the Hawks are the last team the Tigers want to face. Best coach, strong structure and just the aura around hawthorn and finals footy is enough for the Tigers to be concerned.

Can think of nothing better than the hawks giving the tigers a touch up. Bigfooty will be in complete meltdown.

Hawthorn are firming nicely for a shot. Definitely an outfit that plays the MCG as well as Richmond and they have a lot of quality footballers with both team focused ability and finals experience. Finishing top 4 I’d give them a huge chance at at least making it. They fly under the radar with their midfield, their backline (if Sicily is fit) is as good as a defence as you’ll see.

Up forward they’re pretty dynamic. Breust is the best small forward and has been for 5 years, Gunston, Burton (if he plays there), Puopolo and Roughead are going to stretch any defence.

If they finish top 4 I’ll back them to win it.

Hawthorn are firming nicely for a shot. Definitely an outfit that plays the MCG as well as Richmond and they have a lot of quality footballers with both team focused ability and finals experience. Finishing top 4 I’d give them a huge chance at at least making it. They fly under the radar with their midfield, their backline (if Sicily is fit) is as good as a defence as you’ll see.

Up forward they’re pretty dynamic. Breust is the best small forward and has been for 5 years, Gunston, Burton (if he plays there), Puopolo and Roughead are going to stretch any defence.

Richmond are still very much the team to beat regardless of who finishes where below them.

Hawks will be an interesting watch as our best has improved a lot but our worst can still be terrible.

We have the ability to match them but I think their defense matches up too well against us. Grimes can comfortably sit on Breust now there's no Cyril and Rance is much too mobile for Rough these days meaning they'd probably back Astbury to beat him. That leaves Gunston V. Rance, and even though I rate Gunston as one of the few forwards uniquely athletic enough to kick goals on Rance it's probably not enough to get the win.

Let's just hope that we can suffocate them like we have to a lot of other teams since the bye.

I don't think the Hawks are any more than a very slim chance of winning the flag.

They may finish top 4 but I don't think they are a 'traditional' top 4 side (in the sense that usually top 4 teams are dominant sides in premiership contention for most of the season). This year, their top 4 position has been aided by:
  • Only a couple of standout teams and a whole bunch in the middle bracket that usually occupy the bottom of the 8 - Hawthorn are only 1 win ahead of 8th and 2 ahead of 11th.
  • The above has been assisted by 4 wins under 2 goals against direct competitors (Geelong, Port, Essendon and Geelong again)
  • An ok draw
  • A shortish injury list - missing some key players like Sicily, McEvoy, etc. but little compared to some others in contention.
Hawthorn are building back up again but are still middle of the road in my view and are not at the level of Richmond/WC/GWS. Could pull off an unlikely win against one of those but can't see them winning against that level of opponent 3 times.

One finals win the most likely result IMO (which is still good given how recent their success has been and that most were tipping them to be threatening bottom 4 at this stage).

You're probably right but where is the fun in thinking like that?

Well this thread was originally about premiership odds before it became 'Hawthorn are s**t nah Hawthorn are great nah Hawthorn are s**t' for 87th time.

If someone rolls Richmond in week 1 and they have to play a prelim in Perth or Sydney or they roll them in week 3 and they miss the GF the season opens right up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All logic says the Hawks cannot win it. It is actually quite rare for the minor premier to win it though;

2008 Cats lost
2009 Saints lost
2010 Pies won
2011 Pies lost
2012 Hawks lost
2013 Hawks won
2014 Swans lost
2015 Freo lost
2016 Swans lost
2017 Adelaide lost

So in the last 10 years the minor premier has won the premiership twice :eek: It is only 5 out of 10 for the 10 years before that (North 98, Ess 00, Port 04, West Coast 06, Cats 07)

It is usually a clear 2nd best team who does win it although the last two years a team has come from the clouds.

Richmond are miles in front right now but if something goes wrong for them then it is anyones flag to win.

I'm afraid both young and old are looking to be 'up and about', there's a certain buzz on the field as we seem to be able to hunt in packs again, like in the Premiership years. And that 5th best midfielder, well, he might get the Charlie.

Be afraid.

Nothing to be afraid of. Your youth are vanilla. You've beaten 1 top 8 side all year.

Mark Twain is right. Hawks fans posting memes, slagging off Buddy, the Swans & everything else instead of just discussing the topic.
life
Mark Twain is right. Hawks fans posting memes, slagging off Buddy, the Swans & everything else instead of just discussing the topic.
too short and too many pictures in shorthand.. these are telling me that it is carrying on board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back