Wosh

Admin
May 27, 2007
Bluestone Station
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Roy!
Don’t use this thread as an opportunity to troll North or any other clubs, you’ll be removed from the discussion. Stick to the topic and please keep it civil and respectful to those involved. Keep personal arguements out of this thread.
Help moderators by not quoting obvious trolls and use the report button, please and thank you.

If you feel upset or need to talk you can call either Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 at any time.

- Crisis support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders 13YARN (13 92 76) 13YARN - Call 13 92 76 | 24 /7

This is a serious topic, please treat it as such.

Videos, statements etc in the OP here:

Link to Hawthorn Statement. - Link to ABC Sports article. - Leaked Report

Process Plan - https://resources.afl.com.au/afl/do...erms-of-Reference-and-Process-Plan-FINAL-.pdf

Last edited:

sr36

Hall of Famer
Aug 20, 2009
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't understand this line from Caro:

The AFL is furious at Hawthorn basically threw the allegations over to them and did nothing.

Isn't that what should happen when there's a serious allegation about a club's conduct. It should be investigated by the AFL integrity unit, rather than the club? What should they have done after getting the report.

Lavender Bushranger

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast

The AFL is furious at Hawthorn basically threw the allegations over to them and did nothing.

Isn't that what should happen when there's a serious allegation about a club's conduct. It should be investigated by the AFL integrity unit, rather than the club? What should they have done after getting the report.
Didn't Egan recommend they hand it to the AFL as part of his findings?

sr36

Hall of Famer
Aug 20, 2009
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Didn't Egan recommend they hand it to the AFL as part of his findings?
Yeah. Really serious allegations against a club, surely it's the AFL who should be investigating and Hawks should be doing nothing other than co-operating. I really can't understand what's being alluded to. What should they have done?

Engimal v3

https://www.stan.com.au/sport
Sep 21, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tasmania

AFL clubs absolutely do not have the correct resources to handle this. It was rightfully passed to the AFL.

perplexed

Club Legend
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah. Really serious allegations against a club, surely it's the AFL who should be investigating and Hawks should be doing nothing other than co-operating. I really can't understand what's being alluded to. What should they have done?
Yes, they handed over the report as recommended, but other than that they seem keen to avoid taking any further action themselves. The third recommendation was 'that HFC undertake further investigations into the operations of the Football Department regarding their treatment of all players to establish whether the unethical practices were more widespread, condoned and accepted as normal practice from the Board and Administration.'

They don't seem to be pursuing this at all. Not sure about the extent to which the AFL investigation is doing this either.

sr36

Hall of Famer
Aug 20, 2009
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes, they handed over the report as recommended, but other than that they seem keen to avoid taking any further action themselves. The third recommendation was 'that HFC undertake further investigations into the operations of the Football Department regarding their treatment of all players to establish whether the unethical practices were more widespread, condoned and accepted as normal practice from the Board and Administration.'

They don't seem to be pursuing this at all. Not sure about the extent to which the AFL investigation is doing this either.
If inappropriate conduct is found, the ToR are to investigate who knew, sanctioned, or should have known about the conduct.

I don't think the report recommendations are what the Hawks should be following at this stage - surely there's a procedure in terms of an AFL Integrity Unit? I'm surprised that it's suggested that they should be taking action other than co-operating.

perplexed

Club Legend
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If inappropriate conduct is found, the ToR are to investigate who knew, sanctioned, or should have known about the conduct.

I don't think the report recommendations are what the Hawks should be following at this stage - surely there's a procedure in terms of an AFL Integrity Unit? I'm surprised that it's suggested that they should be taking action other than co-operating.
It was recommended that they take additional action, they haven't. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the AFL investigation is going to cover all Hawthorn players of this period either, just the few interviewed by Egan.

Hawthorn went on a fishing expedition not expecting to catch anything. So far they have only tried one type of bait.

sr36

Hall of Famer
Aug 20, 2009
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood
It was recommended that they take additional action, they haven't. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the AFL investigation is going to cover all Hawthorn players of this period either, just the few interviewed by Egan.

Hawthorn went on a fishing expedition not expecting to catch anything. So far they have only tried one type of bait.

At this stage, my view is that they should be responding to the AFL integrity unit - so if they are telling them to investigate all players, they should.

Lavender Bushranger

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Sounds to me like we're being prepped for a fall guy.

Jim Prideaux

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
ColoradoAvalancheLiverpoolFCGrenobl
Jackson printed the claim ... "he told me to kill my unborn kid" ... under a headline that screamed "demanded a pregnancy termination."

I'm not sure where the issue with me saying "lurid allegations about forced abortions" is.

That's literally Jackson and Egan's big claim ... Clarkson was trying to force them to have abortions.

Or is it a case that the reporting wasn't clear and led to misconceptions for the reader, creating false impressions?

Egan hasn’t made any claims, he conducted interviews and compiled a report at the request of the HFC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jim Prideaux

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
ColoradoAvalancheLiverpoolFCGrenobl
Jackson didn't make up the claim - it's in the review as well.
I didn’t say he did, I was talking about Simpkins claims about egan, and that he (Simpkin) claims to be a journalist

QuietB

Hall of Famer
May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What Essendon did I guess. Lose the spreadsheets. Lose all the player records. Destroy any evidence.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The big question is where the leaks came from. How did the ABC find out and how did the HUN get a copy.

1669258842603.png

6 days later...

1669258938143.png

Yes, big question...

99843794f408670b8f877d5f1a210e24ee791c24

sr36

Hall of Famer
Aug 20, 2009
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood
View attachment 1559670

6 days later...

View attachment 1559672

Yes, big question...

I don't get what you're suggesting?

Osho

Literally
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
View attachment 1559670

6 days later...

View attachment 1559672

Yes, big question...

Memories flooding back of corporate shenanigans, contending agendas, bs, backstabbing, and other assorted Machiavelliphernalia I experienced at work at one time. Gives me a head pain just thinking about it. There must be a better way to make a living.

Remove this Banner Ad