NO TROLLS Hawthorn Racism Review - Sensitive issues discussed. Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Wosh

Admin
May 27, 2007
Bluestone Station
AFL Club
West Coast
Don’t use this thread as an opportunity to troll North or any other clubs, you’ll be removed from the discussion. Stick to the topic and please keep it civil and respectful to those involved. Keep personal arguements out of this thread.
Help moderators by not quoting obvious trolls and use the report button, please and thank you.

If you feel upset or need to talk you can call either Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 at any time.

- Crisis support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders 13YARN (13 92 76) 13YARN - Call 13 92 76 | 24 /7

This is a serious topic, please treat it as such.

Videos, statements etc in the OP here:

Link to Hawthorn Statement. - Link to ABC Sports article. - Leaked Report

Process Plan - https://resources.afl.com.au/afl/do...erms-of-Reference-and-Process-Plan-FINAL-.pdf

Last edited:

SimpkinByTheDockOfTheBay

Seasoned Football Analyst
Suspended
Aug 21, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Of course it was.

They needed to placate people so Clarkson could start work.

It has started.

LOL, if they had wrapped it up quickly it was a whitewash that couldn't possibly have investigated the issues, now it's delayed that's also proof the fix is in.

But of course you're taking all the evidence on its merits and didn't rush to judgement when Retraction Jackson published his story.

Chief

In Mourning
Dec 1, 1999
Gates' Payroll
AFL Club
Carlton
Astute administrator and political operator like Gil and his team set up a process on an absurdly short timeline. Ridiculously inadequate.

Clarkson starts his job, with a promised "hey we will find out in a few weeks anyway".

Oops!

Sorry, just so happens that now the big events of the year are done we will, after all, have to kick this down the road.

Who'd a thunk it?!

Hey... look... cricket!

SimpkinByTheDockOfTheBay

Seasoned Football Analyst
Suspended
Aug 21, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Astute administrator and political operator like Gil and his team set up a process on an absurdly short timeline. Ridiculously inadequate.

Clarkson starts his job, with a promised "hey we will find out in a few weeks anyway".

Oops!

Sorry, just so happens that now the big events of the year are done we will, after all, have to kick this down the road.

Who'd a thunk it?!

Hey... look... cricket!

This is sounding mighty conspiratorial and you bending reality to fit your pre-determined outcome.

All very #standbyrusty if you ask me.

Aristotle Pickett

Premium Platinum
Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
sweep-sweep-under-rug.gif

VinnieB

Premiership Player
Oct 28, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Are the Hawks commissioning an independent report on the club, or was it simply the truth-telling and now handballed to the AFL to deal with it?
And what about the voices of those at other clubs? Do they have the same opportunity?

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
It will now fade quietly into the horizon. Chrissy will soon be here and that will give way to New years and holiday season. That will give way to a new footy season and the excitement of how our new draftees will do . Oh sorry, what were we talking about......Inquiry??? What Inquiry?

PenfoldsFan

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
It will now fade quietly into the horizon. Chrissy will soon be here and that will give way to New years and holiday season. That will give way to a new footy season and the excitement of how our new draftees will do . Oh sorry, what were we talking about......Inquiry??? What Inquiry?
This is why the people of BF need to keep this thread ticking over, to fight the good fight for our indigenous Brothers and Sisters, that their plight doesnt go unheard.
Make banners for the footy, call the radio stations featuring footy talk back shows.
Keep asking the question until they cant ignore it any more.

Do something.

Lavender Bushranger

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'm not sure I agree with the view/s that this delay means it is being swept under the carpet.

I'd actually have thought it suggests the opposite, and would be of enormous concern for North and their president.

If you were ever going to sneak something through without anyone noticing - surely right now would be the time to do it! I mean, barely anyone gives a f**k about the AFL right now. So if you wanted something hidden, you couldn't dream of a better time to do it than in the middle of a soccer World Cup when Australia is actually winning!

The last thing you would purposely do is drag this out into the actual season. That would be disastrous.

That would be Clarkson, North and the AFL's absolute worst result.

People will care by then. People will dislike Clarkson by then. People will want a scalp again. The commentary will be all over this again.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond

Oops!

Who'd a thunk it?!

Hey... look... cricket!
Yeah this was always going to happen.
Really hope Clarkson and Fagan get an opportunity to address the issue.

If not they are forever tainted.
And I think the AFL will be ok with that, rather than address the real issues at hand.

Quite saddening but not unexpected.

Osho

Literally
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
That indigenous v. world all star clash in Feb should sort everything out.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the big lebowski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Indeed it is.

Unless proof emerges otherwise.

So what’s your prediction on the outcome of the investigation by the independent panel?

Are you suggesting that they find the accused not guilty of anything?

I personally think that the coaches will be found guilty of cultural insensitivity and intrusion and get something like a 6 month suspension with 3 months suspended. Missing the first 2-3 games of the season.

PenfoldsFan

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
So what’s your prediction on the outcome of the investigation by the independent panel?

I personally think that the coaches will be found guilty of cultural insensitivity and intrusion and get something like a 6 month suspension with 3 months suspended. Missing the first 2-3 games of the season.
They'll probably 'find' not enough evidence to make a 'finding' either way and we'll all live happily ever after...well, those lucky enough to have their family unit in tact...but thats getting OT.

sr36

Hall of Famer
Aug 20, 2009
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood

If it's something like that - whilst not ideal - this current delay will be a good outcome for the Roos. Gives Clarko time to set up his system. Someone else lets it run for 3 months - then Clarko is back to tune it up.

Probably worse for the Lions as they're in trying to win the flag mode.

I also think they'll get done for inappropriate intrusion - with an outcome negotiated between Roos, Lions and AFL. AFL will push for a longer suspension, because it reduces the chance of them copping flak for not being tough enough on racism. I think it'll be a longer "suspension", but most of it will be suspended.

Last edited:

Chief

In Mourning
Dec 1, 1999
Gates' Payroll
AFL Club
Carlton
Admonishment and a commitment to do better in future.

Hopefully they get better player welfare resources. Maybe a central AFL Indigenous support system rather than a piecemeal approach the coach can run roughshod over.

I believe that the Hawks do OK these days - report seems to show that, anyway. Still too much of a danger of falling back into old habits with coach or leadership change without central organisation.

the big lebowski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If it's something like that - whilst not ideal - this current delay will be a good outcome for the Roos. Gives Clarko time to set up his system. Someone else lets it run for 3 months - then Clarko is back to tune it up.

I also think they'll get done for inappropriate intrusion - with an outcome negotiated between Roos, Lions and AFL. AFL will push for a longer suspension, because it reduces the chance of them copping flak for not being tough enough on racism. I think it'll be a longer "suspension", but most of it will be suspended.

I don’t think the delay is a long delay. Just a conditioning of people not to expect an outcome from the panel within the time frame previously given.

Osho

Literally
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS

Proving underlying racism will not be easy, especially if intrusions into personal affairs happened all over the shop. The abortion "advice" though, if that can be collaborated with relevant folk involving themselves in the process down the line, well, I can't see a few months suspension being anywhere adequate.

sr36

Hall of Famer
Aug 20, 2009
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Proving underlying racism will not be easy, especially if intrusions into personal affairs happened all over the shop. The abortion "advice" though, if that can be collaborated with relevant folk involving themselves in the process down the line, well, I can't see a few months suspension being anywhere adequate.
I don't think there will be a finding of racism. The abortion couple supposedly aren't participating, so they are unlikely to be done for that - it'd have to be coach or other support staff evidence. I think they'll be done for coercing break ups.

Chief

In Mourning
Dec 1, 1999
Gates' Payroll
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't think there will be a finding of racism. The abortion couple supposedly aren't participating, so they are unlikely to be done for that - it'd have to be coach or other support staff evidence. I think they'll be done for coercing break ups.
I think it's more about offering "advice" to vulnerable younger players without referring them to actual professional help or getting liaison officers involved.

Basically the Hird style of taking matters into their own hands and freezing out the club doctor.

Chief

In Mourning
Dec 1, 1999
Gates' Payroll
AFL Club
Carlton
What would you like to happen? Punish the accused based on a story written in the paper?
False dichotomy.

Maybe if they had listened to the objections and set up a good process in the first place - like they absolutely know how to do - instead of fudging it, they might have gotten buy in from everyone.

Instead they tried to control everything, get a peek at all the docs, and control release of information.

The AFL have made an adversarial game of it to benefit themselves. A campaign to protect their own interests instead of find the truth and improve their systems. Other parties are being blamed for not wanting a bar of it.

Noidnadroj

Premiership Player
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Everyone is entitled to expect justice.

The AFL want it to fall their way, no matter what.

Oh my …. hey journo, here is my story, please put it on the front page of every paper in the country and every social media outlet and ruin these people’s reputations and careers - but only run the story if I remain anonymous …….… and if anyone wants to question my version of events tell them I’m not home and I’m not willing to ever speak of it again.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Kwality

Hall of Famer
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Oh my …. hey journo, here is my story, please put it on the front page of every paper in the country and every social media outlet and ruin these people’s reputations and careers - but only run the story if I remain anonymous …….… and if anyone wants to question my version of events tell them I’m not home and I’m not willing to ever speak of it again.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There is a decision to publish & it has legal consequences for the publisher & whomever penned the article.

Remove this Banner Ad