NO TROLLS Hawthorn Racism Review - Sensitive issues discussed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t use this thread as an opportunity to troll North or any other clubs, you’ll be removed from the discussion. Stick to the topic and please keep it civil and respectful to those involved. Keep personal arguements out of this thread.
Help moderators by not quoting obvious trolls and use the report button, please and thank you.

If you feel upset or need to talk you can call either Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 at any time.

- Crisis support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders 13YARN (13 92 76) 13YARN - Call 13 92 76 | 24 /7

This is a serious topic, please treat it as such.

Videos, statements etc in the OP here:

Link to Hawthorn Statement. - Link to ABC Sports article. - Leaked Report

Last edited:
I have no idea. But it’s a departure from what we were told was the remit of the investigation. If they’re happy to hear from one coach why not seek comment from others? It smacks of people only hearing what they wanted to hear.

No. It doesn’t.

It is exactly what you might expect to happen in an independent report. It wasn’t originally being compiled as a list of allegations, it was a list of experiences of indigenous players. A non-indigenous coach felt strongly enough about injustices that he wanted to validate their experiences. It would be negligent to leave that out of a report of this nature.

When the report was submitted Hawthorn, to their credit, recognized the enormity of the problem and referred to the AFL to investigate. There is nowhere in that process up until submission to the AFL that anyone else needed to be interviewed. That part starts now.

A non-indigenous coach felt strongly enough about injustices that he wanted to validate their experiences. It would be negligent to leave that out of a report of this nature.
How do you know? Again, this is what’s being reported (unless there is more I’m unaware of):

“A Hawks coach, who the Herald Sun has chosen not to name, told the reviewers: “If you dare question their methods, you were frozen out.”

“I knew this day would come,’’ the insider told the authors, according to the report.

The whistleblower coach, who is not Indigenous, “reached out’’ to the authors of the report who up to that point had only interviewed Indigenous people in order to corroborate parts of the testimonies from players and their partners.

“He went on to say Evans, Clarkson, Fagan and Burt operated the football department like The Russian Mafia,” the report said”

The quotes attributed to him don’t even reference the indigenous players.

Last edited:
No.

McLachlan has only announced one appointment.

A high profile club connected lawyer to represent the AFL's interests.

Priorities mate. Priorities!
Yeah. This is going to be the problem. The AFL deal in managed outcomes between people on their pay role. In they have an independent inquiry that means no flunkies and they can't control the outcome. If they stack the panel, the witnesses won't appear, and nothing will get resolved. If they don't, anything could come out.

How do you know? Again, this is what’s being reported (unless there is more I’m unaware of):

“A Hawks coach, who the Herald Sun has chosen not to name, told the reviewers: “If you dare question their methods, you were frozen out.”

“I knew this day would come,’’ the insider told the authors, according to the report.

The whistleblower coach, who is not Indigenous, “reached out’’ to the authors of the report who up to that point had only interviewed Indigenous people in order to corroborate parts of the testimonies from players and their partners.

“He went on to say Evans, Clarkson, Fagan and Burt operated the football department like The Russian Mafia,” the report said”

His quotes don’t even reference the indigenous players.

FFS, the report was exclusively about the experiences of indigenous players.

Do you think this guy just wanders the halls at Glenferrie stopping everyone with a notebook to tell them about his experiences with the “Russian Mafia”?

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

FFS, the report was exclusively about the experiences of indigenous players.

Do you think this guy just wanders the halls at Glenferrie stopping everyone with a notebook to tell them about his experiences with the “Russian Mafia”?

There are none so blind as those who will not see.
So what did he have to say about the experiences of indigenous players?

His quotes don’t even reference the indigenous players.
A moment ago you were saying it was being selective only interviewing the whistler blower and not the other coaches , now your saying what he says is not relevant . Whats the problem then with him talking to investigators???

If the Hun has the whole report we will get to see more over time. I doubt a whistle blower offers only a few sentences though.
It may be hard to release some details without disclosing who the Players and whistle blower are to the public so we unlikely to see the whole report intact.

A moment ago you were saying it was being selective only interviewing the whistler blower and not the other coaches , now your saying what he says is not relevant

What he’s saying may simply be the account of a disgruntled ex employee for all we know. Again it makes no mention of the indigenous players perspective, only alluded to in a very tenuous way.

Maybe there is more, but if you can’t see that article for the dreadful piece of journalistic hackery that it is from an entirely predictable source, then I’m afraid I can’t help you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What he’s saying may simply be the account of a disgruntled ex employee for all we know. Again it makes no mention of the indigenous players perspective, only alluded to a very tenuous way.

Maybe there is more, but if you can’t see that article for the dreadful piece of journalistic hackery that it is from an entirely predictable source, then I’m afraid I can’t help you.
I dont need help, your they one whining about a whistleblower .

Fancy someone offering details that may be relevant to an investigation , outrageous.

It does seem like whenever people seem to talk about “uncomfortable realisations”, they only ever seem to talk about it in the context of other people needing to do so and never themselves. Outside of Western countries, what would it mean to be “proactively anti-racist”? Is such a construct even possible outside of a very narrow Western view of the world?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Of course it has different meanings dependent on historical context. Post-colonial countries like ours have completely different institutionally-embedded racism than others

Robbo cops a lot of s**t on BigFooty but he made a really good point in that powerful people in the AFL do not actually get punished when they do the wrong thing.
The AFL does not answer to a court of law. If it is ever in a position to, it will find those who are questioning it exceptional career opportunities or pay them out. Not for a moment do I believe that the truth about the Essendon doping saga is out.

I'd like a major review into the AFL's culture. A blanket investigation that covers everything and gets the truth out. I don't like saying this and I'm not taking away from their struggle, but First Nations people are not the only ones to have suffered within the environment.

Looking forward to the next round of excuses we'll get from the denial camp about this one.
It’s hard to get a read on it. The media being the media only reveal what they think will get readers to take notice. A lot of things without context. They could be 100% be true but they haven’t released everything so it’s hard to make decision on the issue when there is half of the info.

A moment ago you were saying it was being selective only interviewing the whistler blower and not the other coaches , now your saying what he says is not relevant . Whats the problem then with him talking to investigators???

liar-liar-jim-carrey.gif

It’s hard to get a read on it. The media being the media only reveal what they think will get readers to take notice. A lot of things without context. They could be 100% be true but they haven’t released everything so it’s hard to make decision on the issue when there is half of the info.

When I said I wonder what the next round of excuses would be I didn't expect to see them all in a single post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back