NO TROLLS Hawthorn Racism Review - Sensitive issues discussed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t use this thread as an opportunity to troll North or any other clubs, you’ll be removed from the discussion. Stick to the topic and please keep it civil and respectful to those involved. Keep personal arguements out of this thread.
Help moderators by not quoting obvious trolls and use the report button, please and thank you.

If you feel upset or need to talk you can call either Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 at any time.

- Crisis support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders 13YARN (13 92 76) 13YARN - Call 13 92 76 | 24 /7

This is a serious topic, please treat it as such.

Videos, statements etc in the OP here:

Link to Hawthorn Statement. - Link to ABC Sports article. - Leaked Report

Last edited:
Going to preface this with the fact that I don’t want people to name this person but I feel like the following information cannot be ignored.

There’s an article in the public domain published about a Hawthorn players life that lines up precisely with both the personal family situations and the club timeline at Hawthorn of one of those leaked accounts in the HS.

However in this article printed after he has been delisted from Hawthorn, the player references the Club support network doing what they could for him while playing and then specifically names Clarkson and Burt as doing a lot for him, having faith in him and being his friends for life.

There’s further detail about the work that Hawthorn did for this guy even after he left the club and he goes on to credit the Hawthorn support network and the mentor they offered to support him for putting him in a very happy place after footy.
Is This Article still up?

Well, not really, it’s actually the law.

In a defamation suit, it will be incumbent upon the ABC to prove every accusation within that article was true.

Based on some of the wording like “forcibly removed” etc I imagine that’s not going to be easy

It’s not incumbent upon Clarkson to disprove the allegations.

Clarko has to prove he was defamed first. Like he has the burden of proof. Can't just bring a suit and go "go on, prove me wrong"

In a defamation suit, it will be incumbent upon the ABC to prove every accusation within that article was true.

Based on some of the wording like “forcibly removed” etc I imagine that’s not going to be easy

They don't have to prove 'forcibly removed' - they just have to prove the person said words or alleged actions to that effect. It is not defamation to report accurately on words and statements that others have said or made.

In any case, we are far from that stage and there is no need for any party to prove things beyond a reasonable doubt or any such legal terminology at this point.

Clarko has to prove he was defamed first. Like he has the burden of proof. Can't just bring a suit and go "go on, prove me wrong"

If he is prevented from taking the North job it's pretty clear to prove the damage caused by the report, though.

This must be a harrowing experience for the ex players and their families and also for the accused coaches.
Im hoping the ex players and their families have a great support network around them and they are being looked after.

Afl will be trying to do damage limitation i suppose and how do they get an independant panel and what would the selection criterea be?

Last edited:
His attitude in the past probably aligned with that of most of society, you and me as well. We’ve learned a lot in the past decade.
News Corp reported that another claim stated: “Alister (sic) Clarkson came over to visit us one night. I remember his comments as soon as he entered the house because I was so shocked. Clarko – ‘Oh (player’s name) this house is nice, you have the kids artwork up and it’s nice and clean. You should invite your teammates over for dinner and things. For all they know you’re living in a shack in the desert somewhere.’

“I was insulted straight away. It was clear that this Hawthorn official had a view on how Aboriginal people live and he wasn’t shy in voicing it.”

What he’s saying may simply be the account of a disgruntled ex employee for all we know. Again it makes no mention of the indigenous players perspective, only alluded to in a very tenuous way.

Maybe there is more, but if you can’t see that article for the dreadful piece of journalistic hackery that it is from an entirely predictable source, then I’m afraid I can’t help you.

Lol, disgruntled players, disgruntled coaches, this is beginning to be like Trump supporters denialism.

News Corp reported that another claim stated: “Alister (sic) Clarkson came over to visit us one night. I remember his comments as soon as he entered the house because I was so shocked. Clarko – ‘Oh (player’s name) this house is nice, you have the kids artwork up and it’s nice and clean. You should invite your teammates over for dinner and things. For all they know you’re living in a shack in the desert somewhere.’

“I was insulted straight away. It was clear that this Hawthorn official had a view on how Aboriginal people live and he wasn’t shy in voicing it.”

That's one way of viewing it. Or, it's a coloquil way of saying that noone knows anything about someone.
That story seems similar to the rioli thread story.

Sec 27A Defamation Act 2005.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If both NewsCorp and the ABC are going around with these allegations, you know s*** is well and truly f***ed - and also backed by an army of lawyers.
Let's think about what this means.
I mean it's so disturbing amd it is several indigenous families backing it up with this coach and as Caro said there is a player manager who will also testify.
And all 3 are vigourously denying.
Imagine how you might feel if you suffered through this and these same people now deny it ever happened and will pay a lot of money to deny and likely trash you in any way they can.
It is utterly sickening.

Last edited:
So is the truth in the middle or is this a completed fabrication or are the coaches simply lying?

I mean if the truth is in the middle there is still something in it right?
There's enough smoke to comfortably say there's a fire imo. Whether it's black Saturday or a backyard BBQ gone wrong is yet to play out. (More likely the former imo)

The AFL will definitely be checking every insurance policy for fire damage coverage... and trying to find a rug big enough to sweep the ashes under..

So is the truth in the middle or is this a completed fabrication or are the coaches simply lying?

I mean if the truth is in the middle there is still something in it right?

Depends on which version of the player’s own truth you are reading.

It appears certain the same player in attachment 2 spoke to a major Melbourne newspaper on two occasions immediately after his career talking about his past and his time at the Hawthorn football club.

In those articles he could not have been more glowing about Hawthorn’s support network, Clarkson and Burt while at the club and after he was delisted. He refers to them as “friends for life.”

10 years later the story is completely different but notably it is written by the player’s partner.

It appears certain the same player in attachment 2 spoke to a major Melbourne newspaper on two occasions immediately after his career talking about his past and his time at the Hawthorn football club.

In those articles he could not have been more glowing about Hawthorn’s support network, Clarkson and Burt while at the club and after he was delisted. He refers to them as “friends for life.”

10 years later the story is completely different but notably it is written by the player’s partner.

Either way there’s smoke and it will be interesting to see how this plays out, can’t see how they are coaching round 1. Leaves both clubs in a hole.

Who is the player you're referring to and how do you know it's the same player in the report?

How do you know?

I don't know any intimate details around this story but it's starting to sound like a stitch up for mine. There's the issue of the 10 year changing story as outlined above by Handsome. Now there's terms like "run like the Russian mafia" being thrown around.

Now I've been in corporate life in senior roles for the last 25 years. Not once have I heard that term being used before. I can't see it being used at a football club...by an assistant coach no less. That's a term used to paint something in a very negative light. Even though none of us who have a *ing clue what a Russian mafia is run like.

Clarkson, Fagan, Burt et al may have done some wrong. To the extent that's being portrayed...not for mine.

They're being stitched up. Who could possibly have motive and be of such vindictive character to destroy all around him?

IMO!!!

If the alleged victims stick to their collective decision not to give evidence again, it is going to be extremely difficult - if not impossible - for the investigating body to afford the alleged offenders the "natural justice" which McLachlan repeatedly promised them.
Gilligan can’t even get 4 people to sit on this, but instead leaking bits and pieces of the actual report

Who is the player you're referring to and how do you know it's the same player in the report?

I’m not naming the player but the circumstances in the leaked report and Jackson article are exactly the same, down to the age of the stepson when he arrived, a lost pregnancy shortly after joining the club and a following pregnancy resulting in a child.

The player also goes into detail about having a tendency to disappear for periods of time when life got hard for him or he made mistakes. This is pertinent information when lined up with one of the circumstances in the allegations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back