NO TROLLS Hawthorn Racism Review - Sensitive issues discussed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t use this thread as an opportunity to troll North or any other clubs, you’ll be removed from the discussion. Stick to the topic and please keep it civil and respectful to those involved. Keep personal arguements out of this thread.
Help moderators by not quoting obvious trolls and use the report button, please and thank you.

If you feel upset or need to talk you can call either Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 at any time.

- Crisis support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders 13YARN (13 92 76) 13YARN - Call 13 92 76 | 24 /7

This is a serious topic, please treat it as such.

Videos, statements etc in the OP here:

Link to Hawthorn Statement. - Link to ABC Sports article. - Leaked Report

Last edited:
Real fear, I'm shaking in my boots.

Removing toxic people doesn't make conditions worse, it makes them better.
To determine if someone is toxic, including if toxic behaviour is systemic within an organisation the arbiter doesn’t pick up a newspaper to obtain the facts …… maybe this happens in your world!!

Do you think footy players in general and especially closer knit groups like mob that come from the same place/share kinship networks don't talk.
"Do you think footy players in general and especially closer knit groups like mob that come from the same place/share kinship networks don't talk." Sentence is very poorly written, doesn't make a lot of sense.

People proving my point with every post that Jackson stuffed this from the get go by making it an adversarial thing with his shithouse reporting.
Lol. He reported a report . You want to shoot the messenger because you don't like the message.

Last edited:

If I was a parent of a young Aboriginal player, I would not want him playing under Clarkson.

That's just middle aged white guy me, though.

What about if a young Aboriginal players like Tarryn Thomas do want to play under him?

Do you know better than him?

That's how Jackson stuffed up, making it adversarial and binary.

FFS!

Jackson interviewed Indigenous players who gave harrowing personal accounts of how they were treated. He sought a response from the coaches named in the allegations and they did not respond.

That is not 'stuffing up'. That is being a good journalist and pursuing an issue because it is in the public interest in a 12 months that have seen the AFL dogged by racism incidents and allegations.

There is no way the AFL would even have considered the idea of an externally led investigation if Jackson had not reported the story.

Last edited:
The AFL has discovered being judge, jury and executioner in an investigation into itself is no longer acceptable, and its authority is being challenged by those at the heart of the game's latest racism furore with the Federal Government watching developments closely.

Excellent article.

And I totally agree for the need for 2 components of the investigation process from here:

1. investigation into the specific events alleged to have happened to players and their families at Hawthorn; and

2. the treatment of First Nations people across the game of Aussie Rules more broadly.

The AFL is not the organisation to be in charge of either.

People proving my point with every post that Jackson stuffed this from the get go by making it an adversarial thing with his shithouse reporting.
If it was not for Jackson no one would know or understand the depth of the abuse. AFL, HFC and coaches certainly were not going to tell us.

To me it looks like Hodge is trying to protect his own reputation.
All this happened under his watch, and I find it hard to believe he saw none of it.
Why’s that?

Have had many posters comment that First Nations people keep things to themselves. A player they would look up to like a father figure in Shaun Burgoyne for eg also was not aware of anything untoward

Bit rough having a dig at Hodge.

The AFL has discovered being judge, jury and executioner in an investigation into itself is no longer acceptable, and its authority is being challenged by those at the heart of the game's latest racism furore with the Federal Government watching developments closely.

Very good piece, especially for Tracey Holmes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, indigenous players could be walking out on the club or requesting trades right now couldn't they?

I'm not indifferent to the allegations. I think they are horrific and I believe those people.

Lol at "Stockholm Syndrome" too.

I note Dimma just came out in support of him though.
Given that he's very unlikely to be their coach, it's unsurprising that they're not doing that quite yet. I hadn't heard about Dimma. Just checked it and, while disappointing, it's hardly surprising at one level given that they were mates. Also Dimma is simply saying that it's disappointing that Clarko hasn't had a chance to "have his say". Bullshit of course, that's Clarko's choice. He could have his say any time he wants. But it's not quite the same level as your President saying how "confident" she is that his version of the story will be upheld.

Funny isn't it that none of the posters condemning people for "finding Clarko guilty" before he's had a chance to defend himself have condemned her for finding him innocent?

Anyway, for all that I love what Dimma has done for my club, which btw includes presiding one of the biggest injections of Indigenous players any club has seen, the establishment of the Korin Gamadji institute, and for all that his own dealings with the likes of Sydney Stack and Marlion Pickett are the direct opposite of what Clarkson is alleged to have done, I hope some of the "Brother Boys" at Richmond have the courage to tell him to pull his head in on this one. I wouldn't be surprised if Benny or Peggy do the same.

Excellent article.

And I totally agree for the need for 2 components of the investigation process from here:

1. investigation into the specific events alleged to have happened to players and their families at Hawthorn; and

2. the treatment of First Nations people across the game of Aussie Rules more broadly.

Nah can’t be, she’s Stan Grant’s partner, you know their both ABC left wing mafia, it’s a conspiracy remember? Oh I forgot it’s all Russell Jackson’s fault, he and the ABC will be sued for defamation and cost tax payers millions…bloody woke left wing do gooders 🤪

FFS!

Jackson interviewed Indigenous players who gave harrowing personal accounts of how they were treated. He sought a response from the coaches named in the allegations and they did not respond.

That is not 'stuffing up'. That is being a good journalist and pursuing an issue because it is in the public interest in a 12 months that have seen the AFL dogged by racism incidents and allegations.

There is no way the AFL would even have considered the idea of an externally led investigation if Jackson had not reported the story.

If it was not for Jackson no one would know or understand the depth of the abuse. AFL, HFC and coaches certainly were not going to tell us.

The issue should have been reported.

Jackson was right to report it.

He did a very bad job of it, on multiple levels, that go faaaaaaar beyond how long he gave some of those named to respond.

The framing and construction of his reporting means the whole thing is now an angry and adversarial shitshow.

He's created a situation where those who came to him with gheir stories are very likely going to get screwed over again.

He went after a big scalp in Clarkson rather than ghe truth of the story.

Excellent article.

Unless I've missed something it's gone very quiet from AFL house.
Perhaps they think if they ignore it and don't give it any column inches will go away

To determine if someone is toxic, including if toxic behaviour is systemic within an organisation the arbiter doesn’t pick up a newspaper to obtain the facts …… maybe this happens in your world!!
Nah but they probably go to the source and ask questions
like both the HFC report and Jackson did 😯😯😯

He did a very bad job of it, on multiple levels, that go faaaaaaar beyond how long he gave some of those named to respond.

The framing and construction of his reporting means the whole thing is now an angry and adversarial shitshow.

He's created a situation where those who came to him with gheir stories are very likely going to get screwed over again.

No one goes to the media without knowing what can happen…no one, it was by design to flush the issue into the open.

Alastair Clarkson is “not in a great place”, amid “disheartening” allegations of racism and controlling behaviour aimed at him, according to Richmond coach Damien Hardwick.

In the comments, reported by
the West Australian, Hardwick added: “To have that accusation and alleged incidents thrown at you and then splashed across the media when you don’t have an opportunity to defend yourself is incredibly disheartening and probably a little bit distasteful.

Hardwick's comment that no opportunity was provided for Clarkson to defend himself is blatantly untrue. However, at least Hardwick took the time to make mention of the broader issues at stake in the review, albeit without saying anything much at all:

“What we do have to do is work our way through it, come to the other side and hopefully, for the benefit of everyone, we grow and we learn together. What I think sport does is we put all the diversity and gender and all that aside and play the game for the love of it. And that’s what we’ve got to remember and we’ve got to get back to that and figure out how we get the best result for everyone moving forward because that’s what sport generally does and, hopefully, will continue to do.”

Last edited:

I have heard nothing of late from AFL house have you?
They wouldn't be trying to ignore it would they in the hope it goes away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back