News Hawthorn Racism Scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn hoping money can make it go away.

View attachment 1535977
This has a strong whiff of McLachlan involvement imho.

Given THAT is the standard approach adopted by the AFL to every serious allegation/scandal under Demetriou and McLachlan's reign.

Bearing in mind that the AFL went public with the names of the 4 person panel it has appointed to its 'independent' review before advising the representatives of the families who made the allegations and STILL has not released the terms of reference and scope of the proposed review (which is frankly the most important aspect of the review).

Given THAT is the standard approach adopted by the AFL to every serious allegation/scandal under Demetriou and McLachlan's reign.

Bearing in mind that the AFL went public with the names of the 4 person panel it has appointed to its 'independent' review before advising the representatives of the families who made the allegations and STILL has not released the terms of reference and scope of the proposed review (which is frankly the most important aspect of the review).

shut up and take my money GIF by Product Hunt

Seems like an admission of guilt (or at least fault) to me.

And usually pay-offs work because they are tied to an NDA that prevents the payee from talking about whatever they are getting payed off for. Think that ship might have sailed here.

As Sleezy posted above, any financial settlement would most likely be tied to a confidentiality agreement so this would seem to be a way scuttling any "independent" review.

Hawthorn hoping money can make it go away.

View attachment 1535977

To be honest, mediation may be the best way to deal with a dispute between the families and the clubs. It is not the way to deal with any disciplinary action against the individuals involved, particularly if there is still a dispute over what happened.

As Sleezy posted above, any financial settlement would most likely be tied to a confidentiality agreement so this would seem to be a way scuttling any "independent" review.
As was highlighted in Michael Warner's book/exposé, the main priority for AFL House has always been to protect the AFL brand. The reason why they have NEVER agreed to an independent inquiry previously is because it takes away from them the ability to control the outcome.

As I said in a previous post, the quality of the 4 persons the AFL named to undertake this review and the nature of these allegations mean the review had a strong likelihood of extending well beyond the specific allegations made against Clarkson et al that would embroil other clubs and the recent history of the AFL itself.

There was also a strong chance that there would never be any real 'justice' for the aggrieved parties even if the allegations were judged to have occurred 'in all likelihood'. And, on the flip side, the stain on the reputations of Clarkson and others would likely remain regardless of what the inquiry found. This was not something where a simple 'it happened' /'it did not happen' outcome was going to be the result.

So all in all maybe a negotiated mediation and settlement is the best outcome for all concerned - even though I'm sure it will be regarded as a 'sell out' by many in the public.

I still think there is a broader issue of systemic historic racism across the AFL that needs to be addressed by a properly scoped review to stop the constant drip feeding of past allegations like this and provide a consistent and agreed platform for the AFL to deal with future occurrences of racist abuse. But that is probably best done in separation from the Hawthorn allegations.

EDIT: Just saw MrMeaner's post - perfectly put.

Still can’t see how paying anyone off absolves Clarko or Fagan. Just sweeps it under the carpet .
Really needs to be open or it will fester for years like the Crows camp

Please hold strong and don't cave for money victims
Apart from money and an apology, what more could they want or hope for?

Doing it via mediation just means there’s less for the lawyers.

But Hawthorn lawyers wanting to be the mediators?
I prefer the 4 they have appointed.
They had faith in the Hawthorn appointed indigenous consultant (Phil Egan) to tell their story in the first place.

Reckon they would be more than happy to have him as the mediator and retain their confidentiality in the process.

As chiwigi says, it is the best they could ever hope for in a situation where the real truth of what happened will never be known - just different perspectives of the same events.

“I like to remember things my own way. How I remembered them, not necessarily the way they happened.” ― David Lynch, Lost Highway.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Clarkson and Fagan are innocent of these allegations then pursuing talks that leave a dark cloud lingering over their heads wont do them any favours.
If they are innocent then pursue justice and leave their accusers out to dry!

Apart from money and an apology, what more could they want or hope for?

Doing it via mediation just means there’s less for the lawyers.
They should be doing it to expose it for what it is and hold those that are wrong accountable.

Taking cash and NDA’s doesn’t bring true accountability.

Look at all of those who went to Epstein Island and continue to walk around without guilt!

They should be doing it to expose it for what it is and hold those that are wrong accountable.

Taking cash and NDA’s doesn’t bring true accountability.

Look at all of those who went to Epstein Island and continue to walk around without guilt!
That has already happened, why should the victims suffer more because the AFL won’t do their job?

It is now on the AFL ‘community’ to push for anything farther as guilt will have been admitted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back