Analysis Hawthorn rebuild: are they tanking?

Should Hawks Be Punished?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There's people here (non-Hawthorn) who've spent more time thinking & posting about our Dingley redevelopment than I have.... and I'm a lifelong diehard Hawks fan.

To be honest, I couldn't give a stuff if we stayed at Waverley Park or moved to Dingley. It makes no difference to me. I never go & watch the boys train at Waverley and I'll probably never go watch them train at Dingley.

Hopefully, they lifted weights; ran around the oval; rehabbed with laps of the pool & ice baths; flicked each other with their towels in the showers; listened to what the coach said as he showed video clips, gave them pointers and ran through the gameplan. And then maybe someone chucked a dead fish inside Frosty's locker for the lulz... (coz they've gotta maintain team spirit and levity, especially during the tough times.)

But it's all irrelevant to me watching them play on the weekend.

I can't even begin to imagine wasting a second of my life thinking about where any of the 17 opposition clubs call "home" from Monday to Fridays.

How is it important to any of our lives?

You can mention me mate, always happy to chat.
Old mate SYL has previously been very bullish in promoting Dingley as a great selling point for the hawks in their rebuild.
Had to agree and got me curious on the projects progress but haven’t been able to find much at all.
Originally a tip site, there were initial EPA concerns.
More recently, there are reports of some scaling back of the project …
3 ovals down to 2, originally planned feature wave structure design now downgraded to a simpler box design etc etc etc.
The project has been tabled for quite some time but progress appears pedestrian which is interesting ?
Obviously the hawks have a lot on their plate atm but curious all the same …

I hope we don't change our song to "We're a happy team at Dingley"

Hey hopefully Dingley gets their own team one day.. maybe the Dingley Dingoes would cut it

This whole Tasmania thing is a joke btw. Tasmania should never get their own team unless Gold Coast learns how to make finals. GWS stink but they made a grand final (which they blew) and were half decent for a few years at least. Wish the AFL would stop jumping the gun and putting more teams into the competition. I mean it's gonna ruin some teams around the comp and take draft picks away from teams to give to Tasmania, but we all know the Tasmanian team would stink either way even if we give them 20 first round picks. It's way too early imo and I think the AFL should invest money into junior footy and school footy in Tasmania to set them up to have their own good talent and some form of depth before giving them their own team.

This whole Tasmania thing is a joke btw. Tasmania should never get their own team unless Gold Coast learns how to make finals. GWS stink but they made a grand final (which they blew) and were half decent for a few years at least. Wish the AFL would stop jumping the gun and putting more teams into the competition. I mean it's gonna ruin some teams around the comp and take draft picks away from teams to give to Tasmania, but we all know the Tasmanian team would stink either way even if we give them 20 first round picks. It's way too early imo and I think the AFL should invest money into junior footy and school footy in Tasmania to set them up to have their own good talent and some form of depth before giving them their own team.

Lucky they didn’t keep all teams out until st kilda won something then. Who’s to say if Tassie was a decade old now it wouldn’t have at least done. Better than gc or gws

Lucky they didn’t keep all teams out until st kilda won something then. Who’s to say if Tassie was a decade old now it wouldn’t have at least done. Better than gc or gws
Tasmania will end up having the #1 pick for like 10 years tho.

With all due respect, I hope we can get rid of Morrison, Frost, Bramble, Lynch, Wingard, Serong, Morris, and Jeka at the end of this year. I mean they're just taking someone else's spot at this point. They won't be part of our next successful team that's for sure.

Also freo, who have a kind of pre afl tradition, are now giving the 1925 expansion teams a run in terms of first premiership drought

If gc and gws approach the 30yr with nothing, will they simply be shells?

What's even more amazing is that the 1925 expansion teams were play things for the league, and had everyone try to keep them down. No being propped up by the league. No draft concessions

What's even more amazing is that the 1925 expansion teams were play things for the league, and had everyone try to keep them down. No being propped up by the league. No draft concessions

At least the top teams had equal cracks at them. Damo would have been happy

I often think in the darkest days of the thirties, had you said hawthorn would win the most premierships going forward, you’d probably be certifiable…but completely right. 13 to the next at 11 carlton

Starting to see what can happen when young teams grow together.

With continued development could be a side ready to compete for finals in 2025. Next year should be targeting what Adelaide did last year and so far this year. Moving up through that 9-12 bracket

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

damo-hawks-form-of-tanking-390x219.jpg

IF

Your name is Damian Barrett

THEN

You should probably look around for a new career because you REALLY suck at being an AFL pundit.

Well, well, well. So the Great Damo Barrett leads the charge to have the Hawks stripped of their draft picks and all of a sudden with the realisation that the fruits of the tanking will amass to naught, they decide to pull their finger out. Just how low will they stoop? :moustache:

Back