Analysis Hawthorn rebuild: are they tanking?

Should Hawks Be Punished?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Devil's advocate.

You have stacked your midfield full of ball hunters and hackers who don't play full field defense.

Heart Smile GIF
We’re still trying to turn our stoppage game into scores. Part of the development.

Is Tom Stewart a good defender? Or just elite at what he does?. That's the point I'm making. He doesn't play on the big boys because he doesn't have to or need to. Were asking Sicily to do something he shouldn't be doing because we have no faith in the key backs on the list around him. It's an indictment on the list management the past few years our lack of talls. Our focus at the draft the end of the year is get the best available mid in the top 3. May not be Harley Reid. Than load up on talls with every other pick. Stockpile as many potential talents as we can so we at least have some depth at both ends of the ground. Midfield is not the problem nor is the ruck.
Sicily at his best is like Stewart.

Zoning off and reading the ball well which does in flight. He also can set up attacking moves off half back

Development definitely takes time.
Dingley as an example.
Despite state government funding, the project is reported to be facing a considerable downsizing in planning.
Massive rebuilding on and off the field will take time but no doubt the hawks will be in for the long haul …
LOL, I wondered if you could somehow manage to bring Dingley into this thread.

Dingley would be central to the rebuilding of the hawks.
Whilst only a dream at this stage, it offers supporters some hope for the future …
It’s literally being built, ya dill.

Unlike some teams the hawks have never ‘won’ a pick in draft before #6

Clearly they will do ‘better’ in 2023 but need to nail the recruiting and stick to their program in the face of hysterical outside noise.

Sticking with even a sub optimal program for longer is better then chopping and changing like…. I guess everyone knows the clubs which fit this description

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our worst loss last season was against Gold Coast and I was lucky enough to be at GABS festival and missed every second of it.

Haven't seen a second of last night's match due a footy club function, so hopefully history repeats and this was just one of those bad nights.

From looking at the scoreline it feels like a step backwards after a positive month which is disappointing.

Next week against Melbourne will be one of those games that either ends up being a suprisung nailbiter or a 100 point drubbing without much room for a result in-between.

All we seem to recruit is small midfielders that aren’t cutting the mustard and have absolutely nothing up front.

Going to keep repeating it until it gets done. Our recruiters need an overhaul. They have one job. So many wasted picks.

What are you talking about?

Mackenzie, Nash and Day are all 188cm or taller.
Newcombe is built like a brick shithouse and not a short man by any means.

Which picks were wasted? DGB potentially the only case you could make but it's still too premature to make that call.

Where would hawks be this year if they didn’t undergo The Purge? Few second half fade-outs. With that added experience what do you think their win-loss would look like? Any different?

Where would hawks be this year if they didn’t undergo The Purge? Few second half fade-outs. With that added experience what do you think their win-loss would look like? Any different?
I don’t think O’Meara or Mitchell would have made a difference but Gunston might have pulled us over the line against GWS in round 5 and Adelaide in round 6. But in the Longrun I don’t think winning them types of games make a big difference in the rebuilding picture

The Hawks literally have no senior leaders right now.
McEvoy's retirement was a bigger loss than many probably realized at the time.

There's no quick fix for that. Just going to take time to identify potential leaders at the club and develop those qualities.

I don’t think O’Meara or Mitchell would have made a difference but Gunston might have pulled us over the line against GWS in round 5 and Adelaide in round 6. But in the Longrun I don’t think winning them types of games make a big difference in the rebuilding picture
I think people mistake what the benefit of having some experience on the field is. It's not about necessarily changing a result. It's more about helping in the development of the younger players to become even better. Guidance on where to run and position. Making them accountable when they don't defend. Making sure the players are playing their role for the team.

Were O'Meara, Mitchell and Gunston these types of senior players that were respected at the club? I don't know. But Wingard definitely isn't, and I doubt they would be any worse than him and he is still there.

Whilst a concrete driveway at the Tootal rd entrance is a nice start, it’s a long way from there to fully operational …
Double down if you like, it’s being built right now.

I think people mistake what the benefit of having some experience on the field is. It's not about necessarily changing a result. It's more about helping in the development of the younger players to become even better. Guidance on where to run and position. Making them accountable when they don't defend. Making sure the players are playing their role for the team.

Were O'Meara, Mitchell and Gunston these types of senior players that were respected at the club? I don't know. But Wingard definitely isn't, and I doubt they would be any worse than him and he is still there.
You’re right about experience I think we do miss McEvoy and Gunston. I think the experience thing is a big factor in why Collingwood jumped so quickly after starting a rebuild. But Mitchell has decided To do it his way and just bring in young players. I don’t know why Wingard is playing he doesn’t look interested that’s just my take on him.

Back