Moved Thread Hawthorn "sucking Tasmania dry" ... calls for them to GTFO

Mar 19, 2004
Why do you care?
TASMANIA’S politicians must show leadership and courage by driving Hawthorn and North Melbourne from the state by 2022 and demanding our own team in the AFL.

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/t...n/news-story/62f2c13e957560bb14b790337b4a508b

Hawthorn runs a community camp each year in Tasmania as well as annual clinics, and sponsors school football and netball competitions.

But Mr Cheek said that was nothing compared with the money it received in return.

“They might do the odd clinic but they drag the money out of Tasmania,” he said. “They were a silvertailed Melbourne suburb that are never ever going to relocate to Tasmania and they are ripping out all the money through their memberships and merchandise and everything else."

“It all goes out of Tasmania and give nothing back."

RIP Tassie Hawks

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
That's capitalisation for you. The identification of a commercial opportunity to maximise profits and the bottom line. The AFL is also to focused on the commercial element to fund a Tasmanian club, with lower levels of population and high costs contributing to it being a tough market to negotiate.

Unless Tasmania can throw its full weight behind a new club, and garner appropriate and strong support, I fear Tasmania will simply be a FIFO state for the AFL to negotiate in order to maintain commercial
viability.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Pretty obvious where this is going. North will assume Hawthorn's contract in 2021 and begin playing 7-8 home games in Tassie each season. They will also play more away games in Victoria to compensate for the loss of home games in Melbourne. From there, the AFL will work in conjunction with the Tasmanian government to produce a permanent relocation deal that's too good for the Kangas to refuse. It will likely include cash incentives, funding for first class training facilities and stadium upgrades, a full Tasmanian developmental academy mirroring the northern clubs and other appealing factors. Don't forget, North already have a women's team based in the Apple Isle. This is how I see it playing out and I think North will eventually agree to a permanent relocation to Tasmania.

The AFL haven't made a secret of the fact that they've been trying to relocate North in recent decades.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Pretty obvious where this is going. North will assume Hawthorn's contract in 2021 and begin playing 7-8 home games in Tassie each season. They will also play more away games in Victoria to compensate for the loss of home games in Melbourne. From there, the AFL will work in conjunction with the Tasmanian government to produce a permanent relocation deal that's too good for the Kangas to refuse. It will likely include cash incentives, funding for first class training facilities and stadium upgrades, a full Tasmanian developmental academy mirroring the northern clubs and other appealing factors. Don't forget, North already have a women's team based in the Apple Isle. This is how I see it playing out and I think North will eventually agree to a permanent relocation to Tasmania.

The AFL haven't made a secret of the fact that they've been trying to relocate North in recent decades.
There is some truth to this and there is their academy too

Kennett has other ideas, however, and he is the most powerful man in the universe

Hmm, now where have I heard this garbage before?

O yes, I know,
Kangaroos reject $45 million Gold Coast move offer

Now I can lecture you on how North has wiped the bulk of its debt, yearly profits for the last 7 years, 40k members in a s**t year and relocation determined by a 75% member vote, but I'll leave you with one point, if North didn't take the deal in 2007, with low membership numbers, an average list, poor to average facilities, high debt, home games on the GC, an AFL administration hell bent on moving North and Caro being the AFL's mouthpiece, why in the world would North move now being the strongest the club has ever been off-field?

Rance2Mewtwo

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
So basically they’re saying Tasmanian money is moving to Victoria, making Tasmania a poorer state.

And they want a Tasmania team so money is flowing in, instead of out.

Do they want a team for the money or the emotion??

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There is some truth to this and there is their academy too

Kennett has other ideas, however, and he is the most powerful man in the universe
Jeff Kennett will whine and moan but the AFL will make sure North assume Hawthorn's Launceston contract.
Hmm, now where have I heard this garbage before?

O yes, I know,
Kangaroos reject $45 million Gold Coast move offer

Now I can lecture you on how North has wiped the bulk of its debt, yearly profits for the last 7 years, 40k members in a s**t year and relocation determined by a 75% member vote, but I'll leave you with one point, if North didn't take the deal in 2007, with low membership numbers, an average list, poor to average facilities, high debt, home games on the GC, an AFL administration hell bent on moving North and Caro being the AFL's mouthpiece, why in the world would North move now being the strongest the club has ever been off-field?
That's nice. The landscape will be vastly different in 10 years from now.

Jeff Kennett will whine and moan but the AFL will make sure North assume Hawthorn's Launceston contract.

That's nice. The landscape will be vastly different in 10 years from now.
That's nice, let me give you a glimpse into this future different landscape in 10 years time.

North Melbourne will boast the biggest and best inner-city training complex in Melbourne under an ambitious plan submitted to the Victorian government.

Under North's proposal, its Arden St headquarters' footprint would grow from 4.5ha to 11.2ha and would be upgraded to include:

- An indoor centre with a large synthetic oval.
- A second indoor centre with four multi-use hard courts.
- An indoor aquatic centre with a 50m pool.
- An outdoor synthetic oval with lighting.
- Sports changerooms and social rooms, which could be used for AFLW and VFL games.
- A café and other shops.

The Kangaroos' plan was submitted in response to a proposed $7 billion redevelopment of an industrial pocket of North Melbourne, which will become known as Arden.

The redevelopment will stretch over 10 years and, by 2051, is forecast to bring 34,000 workers and 15,000 residents into Arden. From 2026, the precinct will be serviced by an underground railway station, which will be one stop from the CBD, western suburbs and Melbourne University (Parkville).

Adding to that, their own VFL team, it really looks like North really want to move to Tassie:drunk::rolleyes:.

The Afl were not interested in a permanent side in Tasmania because of small population and it is already a footy state, Nothing has changed
Adding to the limited capacity of the main Tasmanian grounds, it doesn't seem financially worthwhile for the AFL.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
TASMANIA’S politicians must show leadership and courage by driving Hawthorn and North Melbourne from the state by 2022 and demanding our own team in the AFL.

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/t...n/news-story/62f2c13e957560bb14b790337b4a508b

Hawthorn runs a community camp each year in Tasmania as well as annual clinics, and sponsors school football and netball competitions.

But Mr Cheek said that was nothing compared with the money it received in return.

“They might do the odd clinic but they drag the money out of Tasmania,” he said. “They were a silvertailed Melbourne suburb that are never ever going to relocate to Tasmania and they are ripping out all the money through their memberships and merchandise and everything else."

“It all goes out of Tasmania and give nothing back."

RIP Tassie Hawks
Hmmmm ,oh the irony or is that cheek?.....bit like how WA gst money goes into propping up silvertailed, no industry allowed welfare state Tassie and we receive nothing back hey mr Cheek?

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That's nice, let me give you a glimpse into this future different landscape in 10 years time.

North Melbourne will boast the biggest and best inner-city training complex in Melbourne under an ambitious plan submitted to the Victorian government.

Under North's proposal, its Arden St headquarters' footprint would grow from 4.5ha to 11.2ha and would be upgraded to include:

- An indoor centre with a large synthetic oval.
- A second indoor centre with four multi-use hard courts.
- An indoor aquatic centre with a 50m pool.
- An outdoor synthetic oval with lighting.
- Sports changerooms and social rooms, which could be used for AFLW and VFL games.
- A café and other shops.

The Kangaroos' plan was submitted in response to a proposed $7 billion redevelopment of an industrial pocket of North Melbourne, which will become known as Arden.

The redevelopment will stretch over 10 years and, by 2051, is forecast to bring 34,000 workers and 15,000 residents into Arden. From 2026, the precinct will be serviced by an underground railway station, which will be one stop from the CBD, western suburbs and Melbourne University (Parkville).

Adding to that, their own VFL team, it really looks like North really want to move to Tassie:drunk::rolleyes:.
Sounds like a real asset for the community. Doesn't change my opinion that I believe North will assume Hawthorn's Launceston contract in 2021.

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
North in Hobart sucks tassie dry, as the city itself, whilst going quiet, still remain active

Ask any business in Launceston about the Hawks deal - it keeps them afloat. Before hawthorn, most of them closed during winter because simply no one went there

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is not news.
People have being saying this for years down there.
How old are the quotes in the article?

I don’t reckon the parties involved will wait until 2020 for example to start renegotiating that. I think they will be having discussions in the next 18 to 24 months.

24 months, it's 2018 now, wouldn't that make it 2020?

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You may be slightly missing the point, if they had their own team this would happen × 20,000 like every second week for them

20,000 non Taswegians would travel to Tasmania every second week?

The proof of this would be the 20,000 away team supporters who travel to Tasmania every time Hawthorn and North Melbourne play there?

Even 2,000 would be pushing it.

Back