Moved Thread Hawthorn "sucking Tasmania dry" ... calls for them to GTFO

Yeah, that explains why the 2 Perth clubs get big handouts every year, with the lack of blockbuster fixtures they get.

Hint: Only part of the above statement is true.

Well, if the 2 WA clubs got taxed like Vic clubs do, they'd need handouts.

lol if WA wanted we could invade Vic and take all your wealth and women.

LOL indeed.

Going by the whinging about the difficulty you have getting to Vic when your clubs make the GF, I look forward to seeing you all trying to walk across the nullabor.

They did a full audit of the club with emails, paper records and texts over those 5 or so years. Since everything has already been done I'm not sure what you'd suggest?

Is this the same audit that cleared gc before bock and melbourne before trengove?

The afl audit was a rigorous as a ty vickory tackle

Course I do, i'm just stating that how the AFL distributes money has nothing to do with it.
FIXTURE

If fixtures are to be designed to maximise attendances and television ratings, then the big drawing clubs must have the prime time slots (Friday nights) and blockbuster games (Anzac Day, Queen's Birthday).

Fulfilling that objective multiplies the power of bigger drawing clubs because it increases their gate receipts and membership, as well as sponsorship opportunities. It works in reverse for poorer drawing clubs.

However, 18 clubs are needed for nine games a weekend televised into all markets in Australia, so poorer drawing clubs need to be compensated for accepting that principle of designing a fixture to maximise attendances.

The AFL acknowledged on Wednesday the fixture inequities underlined that competitive balance measures were required.

Also

STADIUM RETURNS

Rationalising grounds suits bigger drawing clubs because optimum returns at the major stadiums come when there are big attendances.

Smaller clubs have to play their home games at grounds that are not set up to provide returns once the crowd dips below a certain level because of the fixed costs of putting on the game.

Clubs such as Adelaide have an added advantage of selling out memberships because of the difficulty of securing a seat at its home ground unless a membership is bought, while Geelong has at least seven home games a year that make the club $500,000 per game.

The stadium deal at Etihad has been a drag for several clubs, with the net return on revenue having a negative impact on their revenue.

And finally

SUPPORTER BASES

Supporter bases were established in the first half of last century for most clubs. It made the big four clubs Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon and Richmond powerful. Only Hawthorn has managed to increase its supporter base massively but it has needed to have constant success. It also made the smart decision to play games in Tasmania – and foster the relationship – and use Waverley as a home base and capture the Eastern corridor. But it took 20 years of success, hard work, good decisions and a bit of luck to make it happen. The Eagles and the Crows had a massive initial advantage over their home state rivals because they were the first club established.

It’s also worth noting that merely introducing a luxury tax was not going to redistribute income because – as mentioned above – many clubs would adhere to the minimum and stop spending.

North Melbourne is also strengthening its appeal to the rapidly growing areas to the West of Melbourne as well as into the City of Hobart and the south of Tasmania.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
FIXTURE

If fixtures are to be designed to maximise attendances and television ratings, then the big drawing clubs must have the prime time slots (Friday nights) and blockbuster games (Anzac Day, Queen's Birthday).

Fulfilling that objective multiplies the power of bigger drawing clubs because it increases their gate receipts and membership, as well as sponsorship opportunities. It works in reverse for poorer drawing clubs.

However, 18 clubs are needed for nine games a weekend televised into all markets in Australia, so poorer drawing clubs need to be compensated for accepting that principle of designing a fixture to maximise attendances.

The AFL acknowledged on Wednesday the fixture inequities underlined that competitive balance measures were required.

Not disputing it's a negative on financial health of a club, just that there's no correlation between the fixture and handouts.

As an example, when North were given a blockbuster home game on Good Friday last year, were they penalised with a lower AFL distribution? The answer is (of course) no, as these things are generally determined well before the draw comes out. They could get 6 Friday night games and it wouldn't make a fat rats clacker of difference to their annual distribution.

Not disputing it's a negative on financial health of a club, just that there's no correlation between the fixture and handouts.

As an example, when North were given a blockbuster home game on Good Friday last year, were they penalised with a lower AFL distribution? The answer is (of course) no, as these things are generally determined well before the draw comes out. They could get 6 Friday night games and it wouldn't make a fat rats clacker of difference to their annual distribution.
In one year? No. I agree with you there.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Nope. This year will see eight AFL teams travel to Tasmania. A full-time Tasmanian team would mean 12 different AFL teams would play in the Apple Isle each year. A 50% increase in the amount of teams visiting Tassie each year.

Are Tasmania going to get 16 home games?:rolleyes:

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Pretty obvious where this is going. North will assume Hawthorn's contract in 2021 and begin playing 7-8 home games in Tassie each season. They will also play more away games in Victoria to compensate for the loss of home games in Melbourne. From there, the AFL will work in conjunction with the Tasmanian government to produce a permanent relocation deal that's too good for the Kangas to refuse.

What deal involving the extinction of our club would be "too good to refuse"?

As for the weekly AFL + Tasmanian government conspiracies, I'll keep posting this until people finally get it through their heads.

upload_2018-2-11_8-6-57.png

It will likely include cash incentives,

The club has run at a profit for something like 9 out of the last 10 years.

funding for first class training facilities

We already have a state of the art training facility at Arden Street. The entire ground has also been widened and resurfaced,

and stadium upgrades,

There is another $10 million upgrade in the works to facilitate AFLW and VFL football back at Arden Street for 2019.

a full Tasmanian developmental academy mirroring the northern clubs and other appealing factors.

North already runs the Tasmanian AFL academy...........................from Arden Street.

Don't forget, North already have a women's team based in the Apple Isle.

Incorrect. It is based at Arden Street and partially represents Tasmania.

On the left is the jumper that will be worn for Tasmanian games, on the right is the jumper that will be worn in Melbourne

8998446-3x2-700x467.jpg

This is how I see it playing out and I think North will eventually agree to a permanent relocation to Tasmania.

Again. Read this:

upload_2018-2-11_8-16-28.png

The AFL haven't made a secret of the fact that they've been trying to relocate North in recent decades.

The AFL have been party to all kinds of weird and wonderful stuff, if the media are to be believed, but the one thing the AFL can't do is relocate an existing viable football club.

The best hope Tasmania has in the near to medium future is if Gold Coast fall over and a licence becomes available. IF, and it's a very big IF, they can get their own act together and finally prove their viability.

There's one point people don't seem to get, there's no way the AFL are interested in bringing in a club that can only be sustained because of annual political financial input. Take away this possibility and I don't believe a Tasmanian stand alone club is currently viable.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
What deal involving the extinction of our club would be "too good to refuse"?

As for the weekly AFL + Tasmanian government conspiracies, I'll keep posting this until people finally get it through their heads.

View attachment 458648

The club has run at a profit for something like 9 out of the last 10 years.

We already have a state of the art training facility at Arden Street. The entire ground has also been widened and resurfaced,

There is another $10 million upgrade in the works to facilitate AFLW and VFL football back at Arden Street for 2019.

North already runs the Tasmanian AFL academy...........................from Arden Street.

Incorrect. It is based at Arden Street and partially represents Tasmania.

On the left is the jumper that will be worn for Tasmanian games, on the right is the jumper that will be worn in Melbourne

8998446-3x2-700x467.jpg

Again. Read this:

View attachment 458649

The AFL have been party to all kinds of weird and wonderful stuff, if the media are to be believed, but the one thing the AFL can't do is relocate an existing viable football club.

The best hope Tasmania has in the near to medium future is if Gold Coast fall over and a licence becomes available. IF, and it's a very big IF, they can get their own act together and finally prove their viability.

There's one point people don't seem to get, there's no way the AFL are interested in bringing in a club that can only be sustained because of annual political financial input. Take away this possibility and I don't believe a Tasmanian stand alone club is currently viable.

Thanks for your 'belief'.

Professional economic advisers have a much different assessment of the situation than yourself. They dont guess, they analyse.

When it comes to Political financial input, its not annual. Currently AFL FIFO clubs get a 5 year deal. Given the bipartisan support for the FIFO clubs to date & that both major parties do want a Tasmanian AFL club, their is no doubt about that permanent support. The reason being it will be a tourist draw card, economic stimulant & very good for community cohesion & confidence. Also good to encourage kids participation & the sport generally in Tasmania. Like it does in Geelong where the community benefits from an AFL club.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Thanks for your 'belief'.

You're welcome.

Professional economic advisers have a much different assessment of the situation than yourself. They dont guess, they analyse.

I can get a "Professional economic adviser" to inform the AFL that giving me $50 million dollars is good for Tasmanian football. Getting the AFL to believe that is another thing altogether.

When it comes to Political financial input, its not annual. Currently AFL FIFO clubs get a 5 year deal. Given the bipartisan support for the FIFO clubs to date & that both major parties do want a Tasmanian AFL club, their is no doubt about that permanent support.

Then get them to put something on the table that the AFL can support. As you know, politics are here today and there tomorrow, so I can't see the AFL placing great confidence in a politically backed football club that does not have solid data supporting it's independent viability.

The reason being it will be a tourist draw card, economic stimulant & very good for community cohesion & confidence.

I already know this as my club is facilitating that exact thing.

Also good to encourage kids participation & the sport generally in Tasmania.

Like it does in Geelong where the community benefits from an AFL club.

Geelong is no reasonable comparison for Tasmania.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
You're welcome.

I can get a "Professional economic adviser" to inform the AFL that giving me $50 million dollars is good for Tasmanian football. Getting the AFL to believe that is another thing altogether.

Then get them to put something on the table that the AFL can support. As you know, politics are here today and there tomorrow, so I can't see the AFL placing great confidence in a politically backed football club that does not have solid data supporting it's independent viability.

Geelong is no reasonable comparison for Tasmania.

Thanks again for being contrary. "I already know' adds nothing. And please just how have NM helped local football & the community? They are just here for money & fly out with minimal contact with anyone in the grass roots footy community. Geez you're beginning to sound like Geoff Kennett & the rubbish he sprouts.

Remember we had an alliance with NM in the VFL a few years back. That ended real well. So don't write such demonstrable rot about NM helping anyone except themselves. Its embarrassing to read. Their record of 'interstate' alliances & games have shown they never last long. I wonder why? Sydney, Canberra, Gold Coast, VFL Devils, now sucking the Tassie Tit again. They have a very poor poor record of any sort of engagement. Failure & running away is about all they do.

I didn't 'compare' Geelong to anything except to point out the benefits it brings to the community as a one team region with a small city & close by regional/rural communities, thats all. But you make a bland rejection without the slightest thought as to what I put.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Thanks again for being contrary. "I already know' adds nothing.

It points out that you have no point.

And please just how have NM helped local football & the community? They are just here for money & fly out with minimal contact with anyone in the grass roots footy community. Geez you're beginning to sound like Geoff Kennett & the rubbish he sprouts.

Academies, AFLW and the infrastructure that an AFL club brings with it. I'm sure the club doesn't lose sleep because its efforts aren't in line with "madmug's" idea of right and wrong.

Remember we had an alliance with NM in the VFL a few years back. That ended real well. So don't write such demonstrable rot about NM helping anyone except themselves. Its embarrassing to read..

AFL Tasmania sought out an alliance with North. This constant drivel you serve up of some innocent in a playground being abducted by some evil doer bearing sweets, serves you no purpose.

I didn't 'compare' Geelong to anything except to point out the benefits it brings to the community as a one team region with a small city & close by regional/rural communities, thats all. But you make a bland rejection without the slightest thought as to what I put.

Geelong fills up it's stadium and records something like an $800K profit every time.

In other word, they make in 3 matches what your own government put in to football altogether over 5 years. It's incomparable. As for filling out a 30K stadium week after week, LOL @ 6108.

Stop blaming the AFL and it's clubs and start working on a solution from your own people and politicians.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
It points out that you have no point.

Academies, AFLW and the infrastructure that an AFL club brings with it. I'm sure the club doesn't lose sleep because its efforts aren't in line with "madmug's" idea of right and wrong.

AFL Tasmania sought out an alliance with North. This constant drivel you serve up of some innocent in a playground being abducted by some evil doer bearing sweets, serves you no purpose.

Geelong fills up it's stadium and records something like an $800K profit every time.

In other word, they make in 3 matches what your own government put in to football altogether over 5 years. It's incomparable. As for filling out a 30K stadium week after week, LOL @ 6108.

Stop blaming the AFL and it's clubs and start working on a solution from your own people and politicians.

Can you read? You are waffling guff with no relevance to what I said, nor the problems/situation here.

So LOl @ 6108 for a decimated TSL in a state of 520k but 15k at the VFL GF in the centre of the sports world with 4.6mil people is ok?

What a joke. ;)

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Can you read?

Enough to smash your I.Q. to pieces.

You are waffling guff with no relevance to what I said, nor the problems/situation here.

Your comments ARE irrelevant guff. When you can put some solid sourced material on the table I will be here. Until then, I don't rate your analysis in the slightest. All I see is a parochial buck passing denialist

So LOl @ 6108 for a decimated TSL in a state of 520k but 15k at the VFL GF in the centre of the sports world with 4.6mil people is ok?

What a joke. ;)

I'm glad you think it's funny. I don't see you lolling about the impression this gives to support a stand alone Tasmanian team.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Enough to smash your I.Q. to pieces.

Your comments ARE irrelevant guff. When you can put some solid sourced material on the table I will be here. Until then, I don't rate your analysis in the slightest. All I see is a parochial buck passing denialist

I'm glad you think it's funny. I don't see you lolling about the impression this gives to support a stand alone Tasmanian team.
Another irrelevant call. You can google all financial figures I put. Dont be lazy. Google it yourself.

An AFL team & the TSL are quite different issues as Ive said but you dont read.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
You're making a fool of yourself.

You, like anyone who can be bothered, can google the information. Its all public information.

I'll give this the same level of consideration I give to the rest of your musings on this topic.

Back