Moved Thread Hawthorn "sucking Tasmania dry" ... calls for them to GTFO

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
No surprise to see North selling another home game to Hobart for 2019. Things are progressing the way the AFL would like. Right now it's a 7-4 arrangement in favour of games in Melbourne but the league would like North to flip that in a few years.

Next move involves the Kangas overtaking Hawthorn's Launceston contract and securing 7-8 home games in Tasmania annually.
In the short term, I agree it is likely HFC will soon depart Tas.- & NMFC will play more games in Hobart & Launceston (Unless crowds continue to fall. Tasmanians are probably sick of being shafted by the AFL).

IMO, NMFC will never relocate to Tas. completely -its members would never accept the demise of their Club. Tas. will get its own AFL club -hopefully, sometime from 2028-2038.

Also, it is not essential for NMFC to leave Vic., as Melb's pop. will, sadly, be 8,000,000 by c.2050. Demographer B.Salt stated "It's the fourth fastest growing developed city on the planet today". As the graph in the link below shows, the biggest growth is happening in the nthn., NW, & western suburbs -this is perfect for NMFC (& Footscray), & guarantees NMFC's long term financial security.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10...-biggest-city-which-party-has-policy/10358988

Last edited:

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
In the short term, I agree it is likely HFC will soon depart Tas.- & NMFC will play more games in Hobart & Launceston (Unless crowds continue to fall. Tasmanians are probably sick of being shafted by the AFL).

IMO, NMFC will never relocate to Tas. completely -its members would never accept the demise of their Club. Tas. will get its own AFL club -hopefully, sometime from 2028-2038.

Also, it is not essential for NMFC to leave Vic., as Melb's pop. will, sadly, be 8,000,000 by c.2050. Demographer B.Salt stated "It's the fourth fastest growing developed city on the planet today". As the graph in the link below shows, the biggest growth is happening in the nthn., NW, & western suburbs -this is perfect for NMFC (& Footscray), & guarantees NMFC's long term financial security.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10...-biggest-city-which-party-has-policy/10358988

Sorry, BBT, but I'm not sure how growth in the NW corridor helps North much. For a start, Essendon are actually based out towards that corridor but more generally the bigger clubs with the bigger profiles will continue to dis-proportionally soak up new supporters to the game

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
I can't see Hawthorn leaving Tas unless actually forced to. They won't play 4 games again but a couple down in Launny just to keep a presence on the island.

I reckon Hawthorn would prefer to play in Tassie than Marvel Stadium and those are the game the Hawks will try and sell.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
Sorry, BBT, but I'm not sure how growth in the NW corridor helps North much. For a start, Essendon are actually based out towards that corridor but more generally the bigger clubs with the bigger profiles will continue to dis-proportionally soak up new supporters to the game

Agree, North was traditionally squashed in between Footscray, Essendon and Carlton, so whatever direction it went, others viewed that area as their backyard, before you even factor in the tendency you mention of successful clubs soaking up new supporters.

I recall an article from the mid 80s, when the clubs no longer relied on their suburbs for their support, and hadn't done so for decades by that point, and just out of curiosity, someone did a survey of the suburbs which carried VFL teams, and the percentage of support for the local VFL team in each suburb.

Footscray and Essendon still had 50+% support in their suburbs for the VFL teams which carried their names (of all footy supporters), as others did, but North Melbourne was the only suburb where it didn't have the most support for North, support for Carlton being greater.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I can't see Hawthorn leaving Tas unless actually forced to. They won't play 4 games again but a couple down in Launny just to keep a presence on the island.

I reckon Hawthorn would prefer to play in Tassie than Marvel Stadium and those are the game the Hawks will try and sell.
The Tasmanian government have made it very clear that their preference is to have one AFL team playing games in both Hobart and Launceston. The AFL likely prefer this option too and will probably push for North to assume Hawthorn's Launceston arrangement. A few months ago Hawthorn President Jeff Kennett raised the possibility of Hawthorn leaving Launceston. North Melbourne strengthened their commitment to Tasmania earlier this week by scheduling an extra game in Hobart. In recent years the Kangaroos have targeted players of Tasmanian heritage like Ben Brown/Aaron Hall and are about to draft Tarryn Thomas. North are about to start a women's team in Tasmania and are currently running an academy program in the Apple Isle.

The writing is on the wall.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
I agree Essendon should also be a big beneficiary re the extra 3,000,000 (up to 2050).

Most of this extra 3,000,000 will be in the W/NW & Nthn. suburbs (Now a lot of empty land & obsolete industrial land; & is much closer to the CBD, than Pakenham, 50 km to the SE!)

However, North & Footscray, unlike the past major population growth in the SE, are now in the most advantageous position to try to capture this big growth in their "backyard". They will also be big beneficiaries.

Last edited:

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If North is to be mainly Tasmanian than I think that they should try to do it before Hawthorn renew the Tassie agreement which expires at the end of 2021.
There have been multiple signs from the Tasmanian Government, Hawthorn (Jeff Kennett) and the AFL that indicate the Hawks won't be renewing their agreement in Launceston.

There have been multiple signs from the Tasmanian Government, Hawthorn (Jeff Kennett) and the AFL that indicate the Hawks won't be renewing their agreement in Launceston.
There has?

We all know the AFL want us out to relocate North there, but I can't recall seeing HFC or Kennett suggesting that they'll just fold and give them what they want.

Doesn't matter what you or NM want,bout time Tas was the prioirity not Hawthorn or NM
Derp.

It's what Tassie wants that keeps Hawthorn there.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hawks fans are better for Tassie tourism than North
Perhaps but you must keep in mind that Tasmania's ultimate goal is to get their own AFL team. Which club is the better bet to invest in if you're trying to convince one of them to relocate to the Apple Isle?

Derp BS $ keep hawthorn there, nothin else

Tide has turned ?....you can get cheap $'s elsewhere, Tasmanians ( i am one ) are sick of throwing $'s at parasites like hawthorn

But can/will Tasmanians throw around 500% more money at a team that will only give them ~40% more return?

Derp.

It's what Tassie wants that keeps Hawthorn there.

Tassie apparently only wants one club moving forward, and the AFL only reluctantly signed on for the last renewal.

Imo if north agree to play games in Launceston and Hobart, hawks will be moving on.

Fwiw I think you guys have outgrown this arrangement anyway, and will be financially better off with 11 home in Melbourne.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
But can/will Tasmanians throw around 500% more money at a team that will only give them ~40% more return?

If the deal is that good why did the AFL go with GWS & GC clubs? Why not pay the struggling clubs like Bulldogs & Saints to play 4 games each to play in those places.?

Would have saved the AFL a fortune by now & those clubs would be financially viable.

But really you just ignore the reality of continually renting clubs out. Its like paying rent for a house. You've better off buying a place & getting equity, certainty & security. Pride of home ownership. You can decorate the place how you like. Different colours, paint the roof green! You can have a dog, start a family with such security. Geez we could invite all our neighbors to come over, not just a few boring ones we see now every year.

North Melbourne strengthened their commitment to Tasmania earlier this week by scheduling an extra game in Hobart. In recent years the Kangaroos have targeted players of Tasmanian heritage like Ben Brown/Aaron Hall and are about to draft Tarryn Thomas. North are about to start a women's team in Tasmania and are currently running an academy program in the Apple Isle.

The writing is on the wall.

North is in the process of making multi-million dollar upgrades to Arden Street, to secure their future in Melbourne. Also, if you think that 3 Tasmanian players are a sign of the 'writing on the wall', then wait until you hear how many Victorian players we have.

Tassie apparently only wants one club moving forward, and the AFL only reluctantly signed on for the last renewal.

Imo if north agree to play games in Launceston and Hobart, hawks will be moving on.

Fwiw I think you guys have outgrown this arrangement anyway, and will be financially better off with 11 home in Melbourne.
The AFL have reluctantly signed each and every time. They do not want us there.

Political suicide for any party to want Hawthorn to leave the Launceston region.

The reported $15 million tourism windfall just thrown into the wind?

Derp BS $ keep hawthorn there, nothin else

Tide has turned ?....you can get cheap $'s elsewhere, Tasmanians ( i am one ) are sick of throwing $'s at parasites like hawthorn
You dill. Hawthorn do not play games there unless the Tasmanian government sign the agreement.

You dill. Hawthorn do not play games there unless the Tasmanian government sign the agreement.

A government decision that the majority of the state want to change - wow what a thought! Let me guess you agree with everything your state government does.

I respect Hawthorn - do not feel the need to keep giving them $'s

don't be a patronizing git

Back