Moved Thread Hawthorn "sucking Tasmania dry" ... calls for them to GTFO

Remove this Banner Ad

Strange reference points…

Geelong benefit from being 75km to the Melbourne CBD and have wide footprint throughout provincial Victoria, and even the outer western suburbs of Melbourne (in fact there is probably a population base of 2 million people within a 150km / 200km radius of downtown Geelong.

Notwithstanding Geelong is a 160 year old club with strong foundations in the VFA, VFL and now AFL with a national fan base.

Hardly comparable to a Tasmanian start up, unless Tasmania was looking to join the VFL in 1897

As for the Cowboys, not only are NRL clubs much cheaper to operate than AFL clubs (in terms of revenue the largest NRL club turns over the equivalent of the 12th AFL club) but the Cowboys themselves are in financial ruin…

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...e/news-story/2b96405aa43163d91b942579c14d4414

What a pox comparison…

Reckon its a good starting point, learn from what works, not much good looking at Melbourne clubs other than the Bulldogs and their adventures in Ballarat, directly comparable, small facility, relatively small crowds & state Govt funding. No one expects that to pay dividends in the short term.

You seem to not understand they are coming from a rich Aussie Rules culture that is still reeling from being used as a nursery, used & abused arguably, going back to the VFL days. This is a market crying out for footy, uncomparable with the development States.

Reckon its a good starting point, learn from what works, not much good looking at Melbourne clubs other than the Bulldogs and their adventures in Ballarat, directly comparable, small facility, relatively small crowds & state Govt funding. No one expects that to pay dividends in the short term.

You seem to not understand they are coming from a rich Aussie Rules culture that is still reeling from being used as a nursery, used & abused arguably, going back to the VFL days. This is a market crying out for footy, uncomparable with the development States.

I agree,

I’m just saying that the comparisons (especially with the North Queensland Cowboys) is dreadfully bad

The Cowboys are basically insolvent in a competition requiring approximately 40 per cent of the costs involved with running an AFL team

I agree,

I’m just saying that the comparisons (especially with the North Queensland Cowboys) is dreadfully bad

The Cowboys are basically insolvent in a competition requiring approximately 40 per cent of the costs involved with running an AFL team

Even more reason to understand what not to do IF its that simple.

I

its ironic it’s always hawthorn supporters talking down Tasmania’s chances of getting a team you guys were broke when you started playing games down here we are one of the major reasons you guys are now in the financial position you are I know Kennett and co are trying every trick in the book to get a new deal but your golden goose will be coming to a end in a couple of years 😁

Hawthorn was not broke when they went to Tasmania, this is a myth that has been perpetrated for years.

Hawthorn was debt free by 1999 (and had he largest membership base in Victoria with 32,000 members).

Hawthorn went to Tasmania in 2001 as a trade off for loss making Docklands home games (when basically every club save Essendon was losing money on Docklands games)

Kennett in 2006 was pure optimism, capitalising on the absolute incompetency of the Saints.

The Saints also took New Zealand off Hawthorn and we know how that worked out...

Even more reason to understand what not to do IF its that simple.

Why use it demonstrate the bid’s sustainability?

Without News the Cowboys have been insolvent practically every season since 1995...

The Newcastle Knights are probably a better example but they are in the poo financially as well.

Geelong aside no provincial / regional sporting club has been financially viable...

Geelong is pretty unique, though it was only 20 years ago that they were on their knees too (I am aware that 25 years ago Hawthorn was on its knees too)

Hawthorn was not broke when they went to Tasmania, this is a myth that has been perpetrated for years.

Hawthorn was debt free by 1999 (and had he largest membership base in Victoria with 32,000 members).

Hawthorn went to Tasmania in 2001 as a trade off for loss making Docklands home games (when basically every club save Essendon was losing money on Docklands games)

Kennett in 2006 was pure optimism, capitalising on the absolute incompetency of the Saints.

The Saints also took New Zealand off Hawthorn and we know how that worked out...
Got a source for those membership figures?

Who has the most to loose from Tasmania getting there ownTeam Hawthorn!!! have had the best sponsorship deal in the afl as well as making millions in profits from games they would have been loosing money on in Melbourne it’s bordering on criminal what them and the afl have done to Tasmanian football over the last 20 years our local football was in a lot better shape before they came here you will never hear a hawks supporter be positive about a local team for these reasons!

:thumbsu:

The Hawks deal has worked for both parties, its sad to read poor attempts to put either party down, but IMHO its time ...
& the AFLs attempts to manipulate the Tas taxpayer on behalf of North was disgusting.

:thumbsu:

The Hawks deal has worked for both parties, its sad to read poor attempts to put either party down, but IMHO its time ...
& the AFLs attempts to manipulate the Tas taxpayer on behalf of North was disgusting.

I agree

To be honest I would have been happy had Hawthorn left in 2010 (I am on record for that)

I’m just saying that the North Queensland Cowboys are a terrible example, may as well as try and build a ‘fortress Brookvale’ in Davenport

Who has the most to loose from Tasmania getting there ownTeam Hawthorn!!! have had the best sponsorship deal in the afl as well as making millions in profits from games they would have been loosing money on in Melbourne it’s bordering on criminal what them and the afl have done to Tasmanian football over the last 20 years our local football was in a lot better shape before they came here you will never hear a hawks supporter be positive about a local team for these reasons!

By all means answer self interested fans but I dont agree with your criticism of the club or its administration.

You support the Saints right?

What are your thoughts on 2003-06???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just remembered around 99/00/01 we were the only Vic club to break 30k one year. Looks like that was 2000.

Also when you say Hawthorn had the largest Vic membership base in '99 you meant 2nd behind Collingwood yeah?

Sorry your right, we were the first to break 30,000 but on that list Collingwood has more members

Our membership took a dip when we moved to the MCG from Waverley, with the benefit of hindsight that’s crazy given how much of a s**t hole Waverley truely was...

Nonetheless my point stands, Hawthorn was out of the financial abyss by the time they started playing games in Tasmania

Remove this Banner Ad

Back