Hawthorn Team of the 21st Century

Remove this Banner Ad

curnow inferno

Senior List
Nov 22, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
No one ever mention Everitt in this thread ever again too.
Almost every board i have done this On, fans tend to exclude Some players who left the club despite the player being good enough.

Everitt was a hawks best and fairest one year and an all australian starting ruck the following year. I remember him as a gun. But most people here prefer hale for being in a premiership team or mcevoy for doing the opposite of everitt and moving to hawks.

bulldogs board dont want griffen in their team, port dont want chaplin, carlton camporeale, list goes on...

Falco131415

Team Captain
Jun 19, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Almost every board i have done this On, fans tend to exclude Some players who left the club despite the player being good enough.

Everitt was a hawks best and fairest one year and an all australian starting ruck the following year. I remember him as a gun. But most people here prefer hale for being in a premiership team or mcevoy for doing the opposite of everitt and moving to hawks.

bulldogs board dont want griffen in their team, port dont want chaplin, carlton camporeale, list goes on...
Cox was the starting ruck in 2005 & he wasn't well liked at the HFC for reasons that most know about.
Plus couldn't wait to get out of the club quick enough when Sydney came calling.
So yeah F##k him!

Pessimistic

Make me an Admin!
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I just did since 1981 - when Draftguru goes back to. Hawthorn 325 picks in 40 years is that ~8 per year? I think rookies must be in that total

So this 23 is our best draft picks (never at another VFL AFL club)

BrownCroadStratton
HodgeHollandBirchall
I SmithS MitchellPritchard
BruestFranklinBateman
PuopoloRougheadRioli
CampbellPlattenCrawford
LewisSewellSheils
SicilyHill
'only' sicily in this list from current squad

And the second 23 (draftees but includes some players who went on well at a second club)

HardwickHayChick
LadsonMcPharlinYoung
R TaylorKennedyB Allan
OsborneSchoenmakersBarnard
JudgeThompsonDixon
BaileyWorpelHarford
VandenburgLekkasB Scott
McCabeM Graham
again 'only' Hardwick Shiels and Worpel in this list.

Im optimistic to think Day, Maginness, Grainger-Barrass, Downie might take places on this list, because I didn't miss anyone of note

To balance that out, heres the top 23 trade ins:

ImpeyLakeGuerra
GibsonFrawleyBurgoyne
HendersonD jarmanKappler
DewHaleGunston
BarkerSalmonWingard
McEvoyT MitchellOMeara
RehnFrostSpangher
EverittJ Smith

Note the oversupply of KPD and Ruck/forwards (and indeed south australians)

Frost and Hartigan just recruited. is it odds on a Ruck/forward is recruited in 2021?

Last edited:

Steven Tyler

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Right behind you!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I just did since 1981 - when Draftguru goes back to. Hawthorn 325 picks in 40 years is that ~8 per year? I think rookies must be in that total

So this 22 is our best draft picks (never at another VFL AFL club)

BrownCroadStratton
HodgeHollandBirchall
SmithS MitchellPritchard
BruestFranklinBateman
PuopoloRougheadRioli
CampbellPlattenCrawford
LewisSewell
SicilyHill
'only' sicily in this list from current squad

And the second 22 (draftees but includes some players who went on well at a second club)

HardwickHayChick
LadsonMcPharlinYoung
R taylorkennedyAllan
OsborneSchoenmakersBarnard
JudgeThompsonDixon
BaileyWorpelShiels
VandenburgLekkas
McCabeHarford
again 'only' Hardwick Shiels and Worpel in this list

To balance that out, heres the top 22 trade ins:

ImpeyLakeGuerra
GibsonFrawleyBurgoyne
HendersonD jarmanKappler
DewHaleGunston
BarkerSalmonWingard
McEvoyT Mitchellomeara
Rehnfrost
EverittSpangher

Note the oversupply of KPD and Ruck/forwards (and indeed south australians)
Jarman was drafted, not a trade, as was Dew
Guerra was a delisted pick up if memory serves

Lawsy

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I'd have Joey as a drafted player over Sewell, Shiels or Lewis...if Buddy can also be in the first list. One that really got away if looked at it this context.
As above, Jarman also fits into the flank ahead of Changa IMO.

Pessimistic

Make me an Admin!
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I'd have Joey as a drafted player over Sewell, Shiels or Lewis...if Buddy can also be in the first list. One that really got away if looked at it this context.
As above, Jarman also fits into the flank ahead of Changa IMO.
DraftGuru seems to think we traded for jars, he does improve the first list though

Lawsy

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Good call, I thought we drafted him but his wiki page explains:

In 1990 the turmoil that led to the creation of the Adelaide Crows and thereby automatically relegated the SANFL to secondary importance within South Australia caused Jarman to reassess his career. Following some friction with the Crows' football manager Neil Kerley, Jarman chose to head east, signing for Hawthorn after the club traded pick 10 in the 1990 AFL Draft to the Bears for his contractual rights.[4]

Pessimistic

Make me an Admin!
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Good call, I thought we drafted him but his wiki page explains:

In 1990 the turmoil that led to the creation of the Adelaide Crows and thereby automatically relegated the SANFL to secondary importance within South Australia caused Jarman to reassess his career. Following some friction with the Crows' football manager Neil Kerley, Jarman chose to head east, signing for Hawthorn after the club traded pick 10 in the 1990 AFL Draft to the Bears for his contractual rights.[4]
You’d do that trade any day and twice on sunday

Remove this Banner Ad