Hawthorn Team of the 21st Century

Remove this Banner Ad

I smell a troll.

Hay, Everitt, Lekkas :drunk:

I don't think it's fair to label him a troll on this occasion mate.

Firstly, he is a Carlton supporter. If you or I had to do a Carlton TOTC I'm sure we'd make a couple of mistakes too. Secondly, he has clearly used AA and B&F winners as a starting point, which seems fair enough and probably what we'd do if picking one for another club. Hay is the only AA full back for Hawthorn in this time period (and he thought Lake didn't qualify on games played) and Everitt is the only AA ruck we've had (and only B&F winner too).
Lekkas is a left field choice but is clearly the 22nd player chosen when it does start to get hard, especially for another club. Lekkas is probably not close but did represent Victoria (and Australia in IR) and had some pretty good seasons before his stroke ended his career.

Finally, the fact that he has clearly done this over a number of years, includes some rationale and has done it for every club would suggest to me it is not simply an elaborate troll.

The temptation is there to look for entries outside of the 3peat but I can't find a place for anyone besides Crawford and J Smith with Croad on the bench

Spider maybe but mcevoy had him covered I think.

It really was an all time team

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Gibson Lake Stratton
Hodge Croad Birchall

Omith Mitchell Crawf
Hale Lewis Titch

Gunston Buddy Willo
Rioli Rough :$ Breust

IC: McEvoy Burgoyne Sewell Guerra

Not starting Burgoyne is a crime but he was genuinely so good at every position that I've popped him on the pine.

Last edited:

B: Burgoyne - Lake - Stratton

HB: Hodge - Gibson - Birchall

C: Crawford - S.Mitchell - Smith

HF: Gunston - Roughy - Williams

FF: Rioli - Franklin - Breust

R: McEvoy - Lewis - T.Mitchell

Int: Hale, Sewell, Hill, Guerra

Gibson Lake Stratton
Hodge Croad Birchall

Omith Mitchell Crawf
Hale Lewis Titch

Gunston Buddy Willo
Rioli Franklin Breust

IC: McEvoy Burgoyne Sewell Guerra

Not starting Burgoyne is a crime but he was genuinely so good at every position that I've popped him on the pine.

buddy so good you had him twice!?

This with Sicily and Day of the current lot definitely having it in them to grab the Hill and Guerra spots.
A huge amount of those lads will still have their names up in 79 years.

Love this. A terrifically well balanced side. Strong defensively and strong offensively. Crawf, Smith out wide with Hill on the pine, wow! Ball winners everywhere. Versatility in spades with Burgers, Gunston, Lewis, Hodge, Bigboy, Hale. That forward line that would kill you every week.

Would hate to play that side.

Love this. A terrifically well balanced side. Strong defensively and strong offensively. Crawf, Smith out wide with Hill on the pine, wow! Ball winners everywhere. Versatility in spades with Burgers, Gunston, Lewis, Hodge, Bigboy, Hale. That forward line that would kill you every week.

Would hate to play that side.
Guerra covers for silk for his escapades in the middle

Understand the back 6 and not at the level of the Birchall or Hodge obviously but reckon Joel Smith is a little undervalued looking through the teams posted.

Could definitely fill a place on the Interchange. 2x All-Australian, PCM winner.

Candidates for AFL TOC

Buddy - HFF
Cyril - HFF
Mitchell - Centre
Hodge - HBF
Lake - BP
Rough - Bench
Burgoyne - Bench

the latter two being two of the best all round players this century

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I've been saying;

Teams which rebuilt including 2001 regardless >>>>Teams which aggressively rebuilt

Theres not many successes in the latter which didnt fill up in 2001 - Carlton were excluded from 2001 because of irregularities. some team actually traded out of 2001

Lets hope the brains trust at the new tassie team is looking at the woeful record of Gold coast and GWS here

CHANGES AT END OF 2022:
IN: J.SICILY
OUT: A.LEKKAS
Positional change: T.Mitchell to ruck rover. J.Lewis to wing.

FBJ.GIBSONJ.HAYC.BROWN
HBL.HODGE (c)T.CROADG.BIRCHALL
CJ.LEWISS.MITCHELL (vc)S.BURGOYNE
HFC.RIOLIJ.ROUGHEADD.CHICK
FFL.BREUST*L.FRANKLINJ.GUNSTON*
RRP.EVERITTT.MITCHELL*S.CRAWFORD
INTB.SEWELLJ.SMITHJ.SICILY* - I.SMITH
COACH:ALASTAIR CLARKSON

By end of next year, I think Sicily could replace brown on field.

Hardwick, Omeara & Moore, if they had outstanding seasons are some that could potentially break in eventually too.

Thoughts?

CHANGES AT END OF 2022:

FBJ.GIBSONJ.HAYC.BROWN

Hardwick, Omeara & Moore, if they had outstanding seasons are some that could potentially break in eventually too.

Thoughts?

Other one to watch is Wingard for the half forward role occupied by Chick.

Would need a massive two years, but has the talent.

Other one to watch is Wingard for the half forward role occupied by Chick.

Would need a massive two years, but has the talent.

Definitely if he can regain some of the form he showed as a youngster at port, he could easily overtake chick.

chick doesn't seem to be too popular here but i did rate him as a star forward for you guys in early 2000s.

CHANGES AT END OF 2022:

FBJ.GIBSONJ.HAYC.BROWN

Thoughts?
Lake played 54 games for us. Get him in and Hay out.

Last edited:
Definitely if he can regain some of the form he showed as a youngster at port, he could easily overtake chick.

chick doesn't seem to be too popular here but i did rate him as a star forward for you guys in early 2000s.

Chick had a very good year in 2000, winning the best and fairest. Not as good in 2001, but still very decent. 2002 he was pretty average and sought a trade home for very fair reasons (his brother - a footballer and father- died of a sudden allergic reaction whilst Chick was in America commemorating the death of a family member in the World Trade Centre a year earlier).

Mark Williams was definately underrated though and I would have him ahead (especially if confined to 2000's). Williams played as a tiny full forward given Hawthorn's lack of decent key talls and regularly got double teamed. He was leading the Coleman for large parts of 2005 and ended up kicking 63 goals as a small in a team that won 4 games. He had the second highest goal average in the league (behind Coleman winner Fraser Gehrig) and was robbed of All Australian. In 2006, he again kicked 60 goals. Again, he was unlucky with AA as they squeezed all the extra mids in the forward line.

In 2007 and 08, Buddy and Rough got going and Williams was forced to change his game from a leading from the square type small to a crumbing, higher player. He again averaged over 3 goals in 07 but he played very few games due to injury. In 08, he was definately one of our unsung heroes. He contributed 58 goals - 46 goals and 12 assists - that year. In finals he really stepped it up, kicking 5 goals in the prelim and having twice as many scores as any other player. Dew and Rioli are remembered for thier acts in the Grannie, But Williams had as many special moments and kicked 3 goals himself.

In 2009, at 26 years of age, he sustained a terrible knee injury. It was so bad he limped his way through 5 more games for the rest of his career. He never got the personal accolades he deserved and with his career cut so short (he played less than 120 games), he is not remembered as the sstar that he was. We remember though and he would definitely be in our team of 2000's so far.

Chick had a very good year in 2000, winning the best and fairest. Not as good in 2001, but still very decent. 2002 he was pretty average and sought a trade home for very fair reasons (his brother - a footballer and father- died of a sudden allergic reaction whilst Chick was in America commemorating the death of a family member in the World Trade Centre a year earlier).

Mark Williams was definately underrated though and I would have him ahead (especially if confined to 2000's). Williams played as a tiny full forward given Hawthorn's lack of decent key talls and regularly got double teamed. He was leading the Coleman for large parts of 2005 and ended up kicking 63 goals as a small in a team that won 4 games. He had the second highest goal average in the league (behind Coleman winner Fraser Gehrig) and was robbed of All Australian. In 2006, he again kicked 60 goals. Again, he was unlucky with AA as they squeezed all the extra mids in the forward line.

In 2007 and 08, Buddy and Rough got going and Williams was forced to change his game from a leading from the square type small to a crumbing, higher player. He again averaged over 3 goals in 07 but he played very few games due to injury. In 08, he was definately one of our unsung heroes. He contributed 58 goals - 46 goals and 12 assists - that year. In finals he really stepped it up, kicking 5 goals in the prelim and having twice as many scores as any other player. Dew and Rioli are remembered for thier acts in the Grannie, But Williams had as many special moments and kicked 3 goals himself.

In 2009, at 26 years of age, he sustained a terrible knee injury. It was so bad he limped his way through 5 more games for the rest of his career. He never got the personal accolades he deserved and with his career cut so short (he played less than 120 games), he is not remembered as the sstar that he was. We remember though and he would definitely be in our team of 2000's so far.
Yup, his 2008 finals series and GF are so underrated. Beautiful kicking for goal action. Fluid and relaxed. Injury really robbed him. Easily could have played 200+ games with his talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back