Hawthorn Team of the 21st Century

Remove this Banner Ad

No one ever mention Everitt in this thread ever again too.

Almost every board i have done this On, fans tend to exclude Some players who left the club despite the player being good enough.

Everitt was a hawks best and fairest one year and an all australian starting ruck the following year. I remember him as a gun. But most people here prefer hale for being in a premiership team or mcevoy for doing the opposite of everitt and moving to hawks.

bulldogs board dont want griffen in their team, port dont want chaplin, carlton camporeale, list goes on...

Almost every board i have done this On, fans tend to exclude Some players who left the club despite the player being good enough.

Everitt was a hawks best and fairest one year and an all australian starting ruck the following year. I remember him as a gun. But most people here prefer hale for being in a premiership team or mcevoy for doing the opposite of everitt and moving to hawks.

bulldogs board dont want griffen in their team, port dont want chaplin, carlton camporeale, list goes on...
Cox was the starting ruck in 2005 & he wasn't well liked at the HFC for reasons that most know about.
Plus couldn't wait to get out of the club quick enough when Sydney came calling.
So yeah F##k him!

I just did since 1981 - when Draftguru goes back to. Hawthorn 325 picks in 40 years is that ~8 per year? I think rookies must be in that total

So this 23 is our best draft picks (never at another VFL AFL club)

BrownCroadStratton
HodgeHollandBirchall
I SmithS MitchellPritchard
BruestFranklinBateman
PuopoloRougheadRioli
CampbellPlattenCrawford
LewisSewellSheils
SicilyHill
'only' sicily in this list from current squad

And the second 23 (draftees but includes some players who went on well at a second club)

HardwickHayChick
LadsonMcPharlinYoung
R TaylorKennedyB Allan
OsborneSchoenmakersBarnard
JudgeThompsonDixon
BaileyWorpelHarford
VandenburgLekkasB Scott
McCabeM Graham
again 'only' Hardwick Shiels and Worpel in this list.

Im optimistic to think Day, Maginness, Grainger-Barrass, Downie might take places on this list, because I didn't miss anyone of note

To balance that out, heres the top 23 trade ins:

ImpeyLakeGuerra
GibsonFrawleyBurgoyne
HendersonD jarmanKappler
DewHaleGunston
BarkerSalmonWingard
McEvoyT MitchellOMeara
RehnFrostSpangher
EverittJ Smith

Note the oversupply of KPD and Ruck/forwards (and indeed south australians)

Frost and Hartigan just recruited. is it odds on a Ruck/forward is recruited in 2021?

Last edited:
I just did since 1981 - when Draftguru goes back to. Hawthorn 325 picks in 40 years is that ~8 per year? I think rookies must be in that total

So this 22 is our best draft picks (never at another VFL AFL club)

BrownCroadStratton
HodgeHollandBirchall
SmithS MitchellPritchard
BruestFranklinBateman
PuopoloRougheadRioli
CampbellPlattenCrawford
LewisSewell
SicilyHill
'only' sicily in this list from current squad

And the second 22 (draftees but includes some players who went on well at a second club)

HardwickHayChick
LadsonMcPharlinYoung
R taylorkennedyAllan
OsborneSchoenmakersBarnard
JudgeThompsonDixon
BaileyWorpelShiels
VandenburgLekkas
McCabeHarford
again 'only' Hardwick Shiels and Worpel in this list

To balance that out, heres the top 22 trade ins:

ImpeyLakeGuerra
GibsonFrawleyBurgoyne
HendersonD jarmanKappler
DewHaleGunston
BarkerSalmonWingard
McEvoyT Mitchellomeara
Rehnfrost
EverittSpangher

Note the oversupply of KPD and Ruck/forwards (and indeed south australians)
Jarman was drafted, not a trade, as was Dew
Guerra was a delisted pick up if memory serves

I'd have Joey as a drafted player over Sewell, Shiels or Lewis...if Buddy can also be in the first list. One that really got away if looked at it this context.
As above, Jarman also fits into the flank ahead of Changa IMO.

DraftGuru seems to think we traded for jars, he does improve the first list though

Good call, I thought we drafted him but his wiki page explains:

In 1990 the turmoil that led to the creation of the Adelaide Crows and thereby automatically relegated the SANFL to secondary importance within South Australia caused Jarman to reassess his career. Following some friction with the Crows' football manager Neil Kerley, Jarman chose to head east, signing for Hawthorn after the club traded pick 10 in the 1990 AFL Draft to the Bears for his contractual rights.[4]

Good call, I thought we drafted him but his wiki page explains:

In 1990 the turmoil that led to the creation of the Adelaide Crows and thereby automatically relegated the SANFL to secondary importance within South Australia caused Jarman to reassess his career. Following some friction with the Crows' football manager Neil Kerley, Jarman chose to head east, signing for Hawthorn after the club traded pick 10 in the 1990 AFL Draft to the Bears for his contractual rights.[4]

You’d do that trade any day and twice on sunday

CHANGES AT END OF 2021:
Positional change: T.Mitchell to wing. B.Sewell to interchange.

FBJ.GIBSONJ.HAYC.BROWN
HBL.HODGE (c)T.CROADG.BIRCHALL
CT.MITCHELL*S.MITCHELL (vc)S.BURGOYNE
HFC.RIOLIJ.ROUGHEADD.CHICK
FFL.BREUST*L.FRANKLINJ.GUNSTON*
RRP.EVERITTJ.LEWISS.CRAWFORD
INTB.SEWELLJ.SMITHI.SMITH A.LEKKAS
COACH:ALASTAIR CLARKSON

CHANGES AT END OF 2021:

FBJ.GIBSONJ.HAYC.BROWN
No Lake, no Hale, no Guerra.

Go away.

For a time there, in Hay I thought he would become the best full back of all time. There was so much Southby-esque style about him, I loved how he would get to the ball before his opposition full forward and mark ahead of him. Sadly, that only really lasted a couple of seasons before he dropped off badly for reasons well documented. For mine, Although Lake only played the three seasons for the Hawks, I have to rate him ahead of Hay. Three flags, a Norm Smith, and also 2 AA teams when he was with the Bulldogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Brian Lake isn’t in the team then the selection criteria is all wrong.

We recruited him to do exactly what he did and 3 premierships ensued. Norm Smith medal for the win.

More controversially Stuie Dew and David Hale deserve time be on the bench - best swingmen we’ve had (outside S Burgoyne).

I really feel sorry for the guys who are not premiership players - fans just remember them so differently.

You picked Stewie Dew for example, who obviously had a good game at an important time but the guy played less than 30 games for us and never finished in the top 15 of the B&F.

Yet people are against including guys 200 games for us or who were all Australians cos they were not premiership heroes.

CHANGES AT END OF 2021:

FBJ.GIBSONJ.HAYC.BROWN

Whilst I would make some small changes, I like your side for the most part. To be fair though, much of it picks itself.

The only tough positions to select are the other BP and FB. Gibson picks himself in one back pocket and hbfs are fully stacked with Hodge, Birchall and Burgoyne.

That leaves one back pocket:

Brown was All Australian (which I assume is why you've picked him) and bled for the club but aside from 1 standout year (and a couple of decent years) was also a fringe player for a fair chunk.

Guerra was evidently a fan favourite, was underrated and was a contributor to premiership success but was probably always outside the top 7-8 players at the club.

Stratton was also an underrated key to premiership success who was probably unlucky not to be AA in a few years when he was the best lock down defender. Views on him were tarnished given he was lucky to be getting games in his last 2 years.

Given he was captain and the role he played in some big finals (key moments and close to BOG a few times) I think I would give the nod to Stratton.

(There's also dual AA Joel Smith but I reckon his best spot was a half back flank and I think the bench where you have him is perfect).

For full back:
Hay was AA and the best young full back for a stage but fell off a cliff badly during what should have been his prime.

Lake won 3 flags and a Norm but only played 54 games.

Frawley played 100 games and in a flag too but probably didn't quite reach the peak of the other two.

I can see a consensus for Lake in the thread so happy enough to go with that (but I do think those that say he was the 'reason' or the difference to us winning those flags is overstating things a bit).

My side:

FB: J.Gibson, B.Lake, B.Stratton
HB: S.Burgoyne, T.Croad, G.Birchall
C: I.Smith, S.Mitchell, S.Crawford
HF: C.Rioli, L.Franklin, J.Lewis
FF: L.Breust, J.Roughead, J.Gunston
R: P.Everitt, L.Hodge, T.Mitchell
I: B.Sewell, J.Smith, M.Williams, B.McEvoy

Changes from your side (aside from positional changes which suit the players better):

Out: J.Hay, In: B.Lake (explained in above post)
Out: C.Brown, In: B.Stratton (explained above)
Out: D.Chick, In: Mark Williams

I get that you have tried to include all AA's and B&F winners which is fair enough but Hay really did fall off a cliff after his AA and Brown had 1 standout year where he was fortunate to be AA. For Chick, he won a B&F but only played 60 odd games for the time period in question. Mark Williams kicked 240 goals, including 2 seasons of 60+ goals where he was in contention for the Coleman as a small forward in an average side. He didn't play more than 20 games in either of those 60+ years either. He then was forced to take a back seat to Franklin and Roughead but still kicked 45+ goals in our premiership year. What many don't realise is he kicked 5 goals 4 and 3 assists in the Prelim and then 3 goals 2 and 2 assists in the Grand Final, including a huge hand in our 3rd quarter surge that won us the game. No Mark Williams, no 2008 flag IMO.

Out: A.Lekkas, In: B.McEvoy
The last spot was the hardest. Considered Bateman, Guerra and a host of other smalls but felt a tall was better for balance and offered the better options. David Hale, McEvoy and Nathan Thompson the prime candidates. Hale is the fan favourite in this thread but I have McEvoy just ahead now. Hale played 108 games (3 flags) whilst McEvoy is up to 150+ (2 flags) and is still going. Hale swung forward to be very damaging, kicking 98 goals whilst McEvoy has been the superior ruck (21+ HO ave to 12 for Hale). Given McEvoy has now kicked 73 goals himself, has captained the side through a difficult period and has taken twice as many contested marks, I think he shades Hale.

Last edited:
I know me picking Everitt is unpopular amongst Hawthorn fans mostly due to character reasons but he was easily the best ruck on field we have had during this period. He won a Crimmins medal, was All Australian (should have been twice in 2004), finished top 10 in the Brownlow and probably our best player for a period.

The way he left was ugly but he was 32 and netted us a decent draft pick where we picked Liam Shiels. Everitt then showed at Sydney he was pretty much finished anyway so it was a good result really.

Quick summary...?
It had to do with a players lead raffle/prize from memory. Something happened that didn’t please the rest of the group and Campbell Brown made his feeling known. Spida left the club shortly after.

I really feel sorry for the guys who are not premiership players - fans just remember them so differently.

You picked Stewie Dew for example, who obviously had a good game at an important time but the guy played less than 30 games for us and never finished in the top 15 of the B&F.

Yet people are against including guys 200 games for us or who were all Australians cos they were not premiership heroes.

Exactly! And ive noticed the same thing across most boards that have had premiership teams this century. Some supporters are just more aggressive about it than others!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back