Traded Hawthorn trade 2017 1st round pick, Picks 23 and 36 to St Kilda, receive Saints' Pick 10 and 68

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd say the McEvoy trade was the truest win-win trade I've ever seen.

This trade however has been a steal and has engulfed the Saints board in raptures all year.

Long (22) who has been ok at best but has time to develop in a much needed role, Battle (36) made his debut in year 12 and snagged a goal while playing some strong VFL footy at times is a long term project most Saints fans are excited about and finally we have Pick 7 waiting in the wings to either become part of a trade for an established star or take on a few more midfielders to hopefully develop one ourselves.

Whether it's Hawthorn or GC who made the error doesn't matter, Saints huge winners here!

Whether it's Hawthorn or GC who made the error doesn't matter, Saints huge winners here!
yep couldnt agree more. It was ballsy by the saints to do the trade at the time but they are big winners.

Hawks ended up having to up their net out in the end to 3x2nds. But pick 10(17) was the chip they needed to get the leverage to get the deal done.

But GC accepted 1x2nd instead of 2. And thats after giving them the benefit of the doubt with them accepting pick 10(17) over pick 7(18).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's definitely added a little interest to see where the pick end up. Obviously a huge win for the Saints on paper, but it all depends what happens now with those picks.

Long hasn't set the world on fire and to be honest I have my doubts. Battle was never going to do a lot this year being in year 12, but I think he was the bargain of that draft. Really looking forward to seeing what he can do.

I'm very interested to see what we do with pick 7 now. If we can't nail a Kelly type in a trade, id love to see the club try and put our two picks together to get into the top 2, although I can't see North or Brisbane wanting to trade back as they are both likely looking for elite mids as we are.

There are a few types that do suit our needs around the pick 7 mark in Stephenson, Higgins etc

When people look at this they say hawthorn got screwed in this trade, which I can admit we gave up a lot to get not so much in return.

But shouldn't we look at this as what GCS should've got?
Hawks still got their man in O'Meara

While the GCS got less by playing hard ball and St.K came in and took advantage of the GCS playing this 'hard ball'

Congrats to saints for getting a kings ransom on their pick and to the hawks getting their man. Condolences to GCS for playing hardball and getting a worse trade

Battle could be alright but surely has to bide his time with mccartin still waiting in the wings. Seems surplus to ur needs with membrey, Bruce and mccartin

I predict the future of this thread will continue to be infinite posts on the theme of "yeah we got reamed but haha another team got the trade they were asking for.". I'm not convinced that's a great metric took evaluate trades but maybe that's just me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I predict the future of this thread will continue to be infinite posts on the theme of "yeah we got reamed but haha another team got the trade they were asking for.". I'm not convinced that's a great metric took evaluate trades but maybe that's just me.

You need to be a smite more forgiving here mate....I mean, Saints fans really haven't got much more to hang their hats on nowadays.

It's the little wins that count.;)

When people look at this they say hawthorn got screwed in this trade, which I can admit we gave up a lot to get not so much in return.

But shouldn't we look at this as what GCS should've got?
Hawks still got their man in O'Meara

While the GCS got less by playing hard ball and St.K came in and took advantage of the GCS playing this 'hard ball'

Congrats to saints for getting a kings ransom on their pick and to the hawks getting their man. Condolences to GCS for playing hardball and getting a worse trade

Yep. Hawks got their man. Saints got a great pick. GCS punched themselves in the junk. Repeatedly.

Here's a blast from the past.
maybe the Hawks have some tricks still under there sleeves, who knows but saying that they have ruined there list is a bit premature!!! Give it a few years to make those kinda judgements

I guess we're allowed to make those judgements now.

The hawks have ruined their list by drinking far too much of their own graham wright flavoured bathwater for far too long.

Coughing up what netted josh battle, ben long and pick 7 for pick 10 looked dumb at the time and utterly hilarious now.

Like a fine wine this trade literally gets better and better every single year.

Josh battle is a 21 year old jet, jaeger is a blue collar mitch robinson at best, ben long is turning into a great half back and the saints would have missed one of hunter clark or nick coffield- both are absolutely killing it and streets ahead of anyone we would have been able to take with pick 10.

Good on the hawks for having the nuts to roll the dice- but there are smart risks and dumb risks and this was never smart.

The hawks have ruined their list by drinking far too much of their own graham wright flavoured bathwater for far too long.

Coughing up what netted josh battle, ben long and pick 7 for pick 10 looked dumb at the time and utterly hilarious now.

Josh battle is a 21 year old jet, jaeger is a blue collar mitch robinson at best, ben long is turning into a great half back and the saints would have missed one of hunter clark or nick coffield- both are absolutely killing it and streets ahead of anyone we would have been able to take with pick 10.

Good on the hawks for having the nuts to roll the dice- but there are smart risks and dumb risks and this was never smart.

Swings in roundabouts. Thanks for McEvoy. :D

Calm down Coops

Thats a bloody enormous swing and a very miniscule roundabout, but you're welcome I suppose.

Rowan Marshall as a rookie pickup has us forgetting that bloke ever existed but glad to hear he's still in the AFL.
Is ok if the Saints forget him mate, the rest of the footy world won’t with his premiership Medallion hanging around his neck 👍🏾

Swings in roundabouts. Thanks for McEvoy. :D

Swings *and roundabouts

McEvoy would've played out his career into nothing if he stayed with us as we were rebuilding so happy he got his chance somewhere else.

Back to the topic at hand though, massive win for the Saints with this one.

This is more interesting if you put it side-by-side with the trade that landed O'Meara. Will list final draft picks after academy bids, etc.

St Kilda got: 25 (Ben Long) and 39 (Josh Battle) in 2016, pick 7 (Hunter Clark) in 2017
Hawks got: 10 (on traded, used to match academy bid on Jack Bowes) and 63 (on traded and used for Dylan Clarke by Essendon) in 2016

Meanwhile

Gold Coast got: 10 (used to match academy bid on Jack Bowes) in 2016 and 26 (on-traded, used for Liam Ryan by West Coast) in 2017
Hawthorn got: Jaegar O'Meara

Ultimately Jaegar cost the Hawks pick 7 and 26 in a very strong draft, plus picks 25 and 39 in a draft with some depth. St Kilda on paper was always in a position of strength but Battle sliding really makes this trade look extra in our favour.

But Gold Coast come out of this pretty unlucky. They went after an early pick in the 2016 draft because they were looking to load up on the 2016 class and probably thought they could use 10 before a bid for Bowes come in. Hawthorn had finished 3rd in 2016 and so a sure top-10 pick in that draft looked much more attractive than a teens picks from Hawthorn finishing in a similar spot the next year.

And you can't control when a team does well on their drafting, Ben Long was considered a reach at the time but may have found his niche as a wrecking ball half back this year, Battle was a first round prospect who slid and Hunter Clark wasn't considered one of the elite 5 mids from his own draft. Even so, maybe Gold Coast should've taken that future first. They definitely would've got to use it long before any academy bids in 2017, even if it was a teens pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back