Traded Hawthorn trade #30 to North Melbourne for #53, #70 and their 2020 R2 pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks future 1st alone would get pick 15 at best from the Suns in this draft.

Packaged with pick 11 this year, it may get 5 from swans or 6 from crows with something coming back later in either year.

I would prefer they try and get a second pick ahead of the Finn bid than try and trade up for one higher pick...

So North have traded a future Rd 2 (26) 729pts, Rd 3 (50) 273pts & Rd 4 (73) 9pts for a Rd 2 (30) 629pts. Why would you do that? I guess North already have two first Rd selections in 2020 & maybe they anticipated that this 2020 Rd2 (26) pick will drift lower. Would that be the case? Even if this was the case the points would probably be even. They must have some compelling motivation.

I think you're bang on the money here.

End of the day we don't have the list spots to use 50 and 73 (we'll upgrade Zurhaar with our pick in the 80's) so those picks are dead to us anyway and with two first rounders next year and the draft rumoured to be fairly compromised up to our second we probably feel we're dropping a pick in the mid 30's next season for 30ish this season. And with 26/27/30/47 to play with there very well may be another move down the order.

Id be happy enough if the hawks traded their pick 11 and 2020 1st for our pick 6. Still going to get a good player at 11 and have 3 x 1sts next year to go hard for a particular player that may be out of contract

Id be happy enough if the hawks traded their pick 11 and 2020 1st for our pick 6. Still going to get a good player at 11 and have 3 x 1sts next year to go hard for a particular player that may be out of contract
I would be very upset if we did, i don't see any stand out players at 6 in this Draft.

decent chance that one of Kemp, Stephens, Robertson, McAsey is still available at 11. I want a 2nd top 20 pick if we are using our future first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

53 and 70 were about to evaporate anyway.

We don’t have the list spots for them and couldn’t take them to the draft, we had to burn them.

Essentially it leaves our 2020 for #30, which with the 10+ academy/nga/fs next year I’d say it’s fairly even.

We obviously value that Gould, Rantall, Taylor, De Koning type group this year I’d say.

Last edited:
I think you're bang on the money here.

End of the day we don't have the list spots to use 50 and 73 (we'll upgrade Zurhaar with our pick in the 80's) so those picks are dead to us anyway and with two first rounders next year and the draft rumoured to be fairly compromised up to our second we probably feel we're dropping a pick in the mid 30's next season for 30ish this season. And with 26/27/30/47 to play with there very well may be another move down the order.

I’d say North are backing themselves to be Top 8 material next year so they’re looking to fast-track another second rounder by flipping a few useless picks to Hawthorn.

Rawlings is up to something with this one. As stated by a few posters already, the later picks were virtually useless for North anyway, so who cares about points differential with this one at the end of the day.

Ok so 5 spots for gc
Could be drafting someone on pre season draft maybe Martin or Maybe not, going to let Carlton keep guessing for two more draft night and 1st pick of pre season draft. ( whether pass, call someone else or Jack Martin). Carlton need to allocated one senior spot for Martin not knowing what GCS do with PSD pick 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back