Hawthorn v All Stars

Remove this Banner Ad

#23 Hill

Premium Platinum
Jan 22, 2023
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have vague memories of reigning premiers Hawthorn playing a game against an All Star team in the early 80s and only losing by about 5 points. From memory it wasn't the only time the reigning premier took on an All Star team. Does anyone have memories of this? I haven't been able to find anything about it on the net.

this concept only lasted 4 years, in seasons 1985-86, Essendon also played the Allstars, the Allstars won in 85, but Essendon won the game in 1986
There was this game from the 1985 pre-season (Essendon d. Aboriginal All Stars), but I can't see one where they played a VFL All Stars combination:
1681524074185.png

1681523850347.png
1681523822277.png

this concept only lasted 4 years, in seasons 1985-86, Essendon also played the Allstars, the Allstars won in 85, but Essendopn won the game in 1986
I remember attending one of the Essendon games, couldn't remember which one it was though.

the last article you posted is the 86 match v sun all stars, which Essendon won by 24 points, however, in 1985, the all stars beat Essendon, i went to all 4 of these games
Fair enough, but I simply haven't been able to find anything on another 1985 Essendon vs. All Stars game (only the Aboriginal All Stars one), so there should be something out there somewhere.

Thanks for the responses. After not being able to find anything about it on the net, I was starting to wonder if I'd imagined the All Star games. But I was at the Hawthorn v All Stars game in 84. I don't rember much of it other than it was close and how amazed we were that a team could almost beat an All Star Team. It was the proverbial contest between a champion team v a team of champions. Makes me wonder what would happen today if the reigning premier took on an All Star team, given that the structures and set plays are much more sophisticated now than they were in the 80s. Would the champion team win because they're so well drilled and used to working together? Or would the All Stars win through sheer weight of talent? You'd also think the champion team would have more incentive to win because they're representing their club. Of course Geelong would've got pumped this year because they started the year in pretty bad shape, but last year the Dees were in ripping condition at the start of the season.

Last edited:
Hawthorn played against an All Star team on Oct 17 1976 at VFL Park. It was a benefit match for the recently deceased Peter Crimmins’ family. All Stars won 19.10.124 to Hawks 8.9.57. I was at the game. Strangely, Peter Hudson who had not played a full VFL season since 1971 played for the All Stars. He was in great shape and played so well that the Hawks signed him up for 1977. He kicked a lazy 110 in 77.

Hawthorn played against an All Star team on Oct 17 1976 at VFL Park. It was a benefit match for the recently deceased Peter Crimmins’ family. All Stars won 19.10.124 to Hawks 8.9.57. I was at the game. Strangely, Peter Hudson who had not played a full VFL season since 1971 played for the All Stars. He was in great shape and played so well that the Hawks signed him up for 1977. He kicked a lazy 110 in 77.
From The Age 18 October 1976:
1686628607013.png
1686628804087.png
1686628260788.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went to the 1976 game - not sure why (we lived not far from VFL Park, so Dad & I went to quite a few neutral games - or it might just have been me and a couple of mates just walking up). I think the Hawthorn boys go to 3/4 time and left early for their end-of-season trip. Certainly it was a very light-hearted game.

From my memory Hudson had quite a decent gut on him in that game. :) He was still pretty good - his game didn't revolve around 'lightning speed'.

Yeah, speed and fitness were never part of Hudson’s skills. It’s a sad irony that in the 71/72 summer he got as fit as he’d ever been, I think to have a real crack at beating the 150 record, but then did his knee before half time in Rd 1.

I went with Dad to this, my clear memory of the day was when the teams ran out and they kicked coloured footballs into the crowd, and an older fella absolutely launched himself ,got on the end of one, and held on !

I'm pretty sure the SANFL did a similar thing as well, but much earlier than the 80s. I remember hearing about the old Port Magpies who took on "the rest" of the SANFL and beat them comfortably. Cool concept, but we'll never see anything like it in the AFL era.

Hey Langers, PM me your email address, i m looking for some old games, thanks Toovs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back