Brisbane Lions

PlayerInjuryEstimated Return
Tom CutlerFootTest
Mitch HingeHamstring4-5 weeks
Brandon StarcevichQuadTest

Where and when: University of Tasmania Stadium, Saturday July 27, 1.45pm AEST

TV, radio and online: Click here for broadcast guide

What it means for Hawthorn:
The Hawks kept their slim finals hopes alive with an upset victory over the Cats. It keeps them within touching distance of the top eight, but they'll need to record another surprise win on Saturday to ensure they remain a chance.

What it means for Brisbane: The Lions are entrenched inside the top four, but will now have their eyes on a home qualifying final. Should they take care of business against the Hawks, it will be another giant step towards a shock top-two finish.

The stat: Luke Hodge has a handy record against his former side. He's won both of his two games against the Hawks, racking up 19 and 20 disposals in each.

The match-up: Ben Stratton v Charlie Cameron
Cameron is the frontrunner for this year's small forward role in the All Australian team. He has become one of Brisbane – if not the League's – most influential players and is particularly damaging in the forward 50. Quelling his influence will be huge for the Hawks. The club's captain, Stratton, has been touted for the stopping role.

It's a big week for: Liam Shiels
The midfielder celebrated his 200th game with a best-on-ground performance last week, but will need to back it up against a Lions engine room that is firing on all cylinders. Able to win it on the inside and carry on the outside, Shiels could play a pivotal role in Launceston.
697647_ll.jpg

Big call: Hodge among the Brownlow votes as veteran star haunts old club again
Prediction: Brisbane by 18 points

The views in this article are those of the author and not necessarily those of the AFL or its clubs

More By Riley Beveridge

AFL: https://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2019/19/haw-v-bl

Losing Andrews hurts us, but we have plenty of coverage.

Expect us to list a replacement for him but then do a swap Saturday if the Hawks dont go in tall. Will be a bit damp in Hobart Id suspect, so Lester will either come straight in or we'll have Walker/Payne/Skinner in for Harris and have Lester as an emergency if need be...

Maybe Robertson could come in, hes played well against the Hawks in the past.

Expect us to list a replacement for him but then do a swap Saturday if the Hawks dont go in tall. Will be a bit damp in Hobart Id suspect, so Lester will either come straight in or we'll have Walker/Payne/Skinner in for Harris and have Lester as an emergency if need be...

Hope you're not flying down to Hobart for the game lol it's in Launceston.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

Weather is meant to fine in Launceston. We will probably go tall again with Lewis, O'Brien, Gunston and Nash forward

Floppy

Cancelled
Jul 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Oh yeah, for some reason I think Hobart when I think Tasmania.

Hobart is horrible.. EEEEeeewwww..

Anyway.

As a Hawks fan, I just don't know what to think of this game, even with 3 wins on the trot I just can't trust us to beat a team we had trouble getting close to last season. If we do win, finals turns from a no to a maybe, a loss, and it is cue in the rack until next season.

• Admin
HAWTHORN v BRISBANE LIONS
UTAS , 1:45pm AEST Saturday, July 27, 2019

HAWTHORN
B: Grant Birchall, James Frawley, Ben Stratton
HB: Shaun Burgoyne, James Sicily, Blake Hardwick
C: Tom Scully, Daniel Howe, Ricky Henderson
HF: Luke Breust, Tim O'Brien, Paul Puopolo
F: Oliver Hanrahan, Mitchell Lewis, Liam Shiels
FOL: Ben McEvoy, Jaeger O'Meara, James Worpel
I/C: Chad Wingard, Jack Gunston, Conor Nash, Isaac Smith
EMG: Jonathon Ceglar, Conor Glass, James Cousins, David Mirra
IN: Grant Birchall
OUT: Jarman Impey (Injured)

BRISBANE LIONS
B: Luke Hodge, Marcus Adams, Zac Bailey
HB: Alex Witherden, Darcy Gardiner, Daniel Rich
C: Lincoln McCarthy, Lachie Neale, Mitch Robinson
HF: Cam Rayner, Eric Hipwood, Hugh McCluggage
F: Charles Cameron, Daniel McStay, Dayne Zorko
FOL: Stefan Martin, Jarrod Berry, Jarryd Lyons
I/C: Allen Christensen, Josh Walker, Noah Answerth, Oscar McInerney
EMG: Ben Keays, Nick Robertson, Ryan Lester, Connor Ballenden
IN: Josh Walker
OUT: Harris Andrews (Suspension)
MILESTONES: Darcy Gardiner - Playing 100th game

Apart from Andrews are Brisbane at full strength?

I think this would be our best 22 if we still had Andrews in but Walker is roughly at the same level if switched on.

Some would argue Rayner isn't best 22 but hes playing a role for us.

Think we'll win this.

Have been pretty solid all year with a few bad patches that have really hurt. Got the jump on the Lions last time but then really went in to our defensive shell and allowed them to come back.

We're in better form now and getting better value for our play. Still not hitting the scoreboard as hard as we'd like but we are getting more return overall for our periods on top. Our defence in particular has been immense.

With our current form, the match in Tassie, Andrews out and a bit of fire in the belly to arrest the streak the Lions have had over us, I think this all adds up to a Hawks win by 15-25.

5ammy

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Think we'll win this.

Have been pretty solid all year with a few bad patches that have really hurt. Got the jump on the Lions last time but then really went in to our defensive shell and allowed them to come back.

We're in better form now and getting better value for our play. Still not hitting the scoreboard as hard as we'd like but we are getting more return overall for our periods on top. Our defence in particular has been immense.

With our current form, the match in Tassie, Andrews out and a bit of fire in the belly to arrest the streak the Lions have had over us, I think this all adds up to a Hawks win by 15-25.
Love your optimism! Hope you're right but our recent record against Fagan & Hodgey worries me, have been completely outplayed the last few games by them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love your optimism! Hope you're right but our recent record against Fagan & Hodgey worries me, have been completely outplayed the last few games by them.

Clarko loves turning it around against sides that have had wins over us previous seasons/encounters. Geelong aside, how many sides would have had a 4 match winning streak against us over the past 5-10 years?

Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Saints
I think this would be our best 22 if we still had Andrews in but Walker is roughly at the same level if switched on.

Some would argue Rayner isn't best 22 but hes playing a role for us.
Would love Rayner at Hawks. He has the making of a superstar ( imho )

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Another huge game for us, win and we secure a finals berth and with the Pies playing the Tigers as well this round a win would also mean we are 2 games clear of 5th with 4 games remaining so a top 4 spot would be looking good.

Another huge game for us, win and we secure a finals berth and with the Pies playing the Tigers as well this round a win would also mean we are 2 games clear of 5th with 4 games remaining so a top 4 spot would be looking good.

The best idea would be have the loss that "you needed to have" and then make the last few games far more cut throat and as such a great finals preparation.

#youknowitmakessense

5ammy

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Clarko loves turning it around against sides that have had wins over us previous seasons/encounters. Geelong aside, how many sides would have had a 4 match winning streak against us over the past 5-10 years?
None in that time-frame, although no other side has Hodgey either ;)

Edit: Just realised, the Tiges have had our measure recently. Hate playing the Tiges!

Last edited:

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You dudes can afford to be diplomatic...
But we have an ice cold welcome...hard to ride out

Aug 31, 2011
Bris
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If Brisbane are a true top 4 team, then we should win this.

In saying that, I think we are more a top 8 team in good form at this stage. So I'm not confident at all and am tipping a Brisbane loss...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back