Preview Hawthorn v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There will be no resting for the rest of the season outside of those who aren't 100%.
3. If we finish top 2 as expected and win our QF then we will have had a bye following round 23 and then another following that QF. That's more than enough breaks.

That is less than the ideal preparation for a GF, if you ask me.

We have good experience now dealing with that week off before the PF. I imagine we'll just replicate what we have been doing then after round 23. It could end up being a blessing as our opponents may not deal with it very well in comparison.

Neither Brand nor TOB are ready to have the impact we need in finals, but at least one of them will play in September/October.
No change this week unless injury.
Brand has been OK and so has TOB for the most part. Impact wise, TOB always looks like he's about to impact the game but doesn't. The opposite of Sicily who looks like he can't get near it and then you blink and he has 3, usually high pressure clutch, goals. My other comment is that Clarkos system relys on guys playing their role, not impacting games greatly in a one on one sense.

I honestly wouldnt be worried about any byes or potential weeks off.
'
That first week is going to be harder to win than ever before.

The Giants, Cats, Swans all could easily finish 4th and all would be 50/50 for us even at the MCG.

We'd be slight favs vs Swans or Giants IMO, cats would defiantly be a 50-50.

Blues pushing Swans is good for two reasons. They've had the honorable loss already and reminds our players not to take it for granted if they even need that anymore.

Odds are that should we make a GF under those circumstances then it is most likely that our opponent would have had the same run. Mind you this is one of the more open top 8s in recent seasons.

Serious question, is Heatherley capable of playing forward? I know he's spent a lot of time down back but has that mongrel to attack a ball.

I'm not suggesting we try it, just curious to know if he has the ability

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blues pushing Swans is good for two reasons. They've had the honorable loss already and reminds our players not to take it for granted if they even need that anymore.
There will also be a higher level of focus on getting our goal kicking right after Sunday's game. Particularly in what will be similar cold and blustery conditions.

Neither Brand nor TOB are ready to have the impact we need in finals, but at least one of them will play in September/October.
No change this week unless injury.
I'm not sure if we can play both in finals. Brand has more impact in games than TOB but TOB can play back. I know Brand has played forward as a junior, but I just wonder whether he practices goal kicking with the other forwards during training? He should, to state a case for himself of being the better swingman.

I'm not sure if we can play both in finals. Brand has more impact in games than TOB but TOB can play back. I know Brand has played forward as a junior, but I just wonder whether he practices goal kicking with the other forwards during training? He should, to state a case for himself of being the better swingman.

I can't see us winning the flag if we are relying on TOB going back at times in big finals.

Serious question, is Heatherley capable of playing forward? I know he's spent a lot of time down back but has that mongrel to attack a ball.

I'm not suggesting we try it, just curious to know if he has the ability
He's only ever been a backman.

Read Phil's posts in this thread. If he hasn't debuted by now, he's not going to this season unless he has to. For that to happen, Litherland, Stratton and Gibson will need to go down.

TOB's stats - 5 disposals, 1 mark, 3 tackles, 0 goals/points.

I am not knocking the kid here, as he backs into packs for marks etc...however I would argue that he has not enough meat on his bones to handle finals.

O'Brien stays in the team for now until Schoenmakers is over that Groin injury.

Schoenmakers is running out of time though to be fit for the finals.

There is no need to rest players. They will get a rest both before and hopefully after we win our home QF. We haven't really played many games (any?) where they've gone hell for leather for 4 quarters anyway. I'm quite happy with that, we have a lot of aging bodies and I don't think playing for percentage gives you a great return on effort spent. Also on percentage - I don't think we should care about it at all at this point. It seems highly unlikely that we would overtake anyone on percentage while also losing two more matches than them for the rest of the season. In other words - yes we could overtake some rivals percentages, but in doing so we probably win enough matches to finish top anyway.

So, with all that in mind, probably go in unchanged. TOB did some good things that not many people have given him credit for. I'm not quite saying that his performance justifies a spot in the 22, more that it justifies it for one more week for him to build on.

Unchanged unless there is an injury would be my guess.
I would like Gus to get another run in Tassie. Always a s**t fight there to break the lines & Gus can do that off half back.
If it's not Gus, Langers will get the gig to take some workload off the guys in the middle & play off half forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back