Autopsy Hawthorn v Geelong - Preseason hit and giggle, Feb 17, Tassie

Remove this Banner Ad

OzJohnnie

Cancelled
Hawthorn Hawks - Conor Nash Player Sponsor 2017 Hawthorn Hawks - James Cousins Player Sponsor 2017 Hawthorn Hawks - Kaiden Brand Player Sponsor 2017
Feb 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I have no complaints at all about that match. I was thoroughly impressed. The first half was obviously great skill-wise, but I was really impresssed with how well the players ran off the ball and maintained structure.

Even the third quarter, when the cats got going, was impressive. The players on the field managed to organise themselves and stop the run. And then the same guys managed to pull a win in the fourth. Ball skills, decision making and structures were all good.

So I fault no one. Not even poor Doc and Pitt. That third quarter when these two got caught a couple times was a test for everyone. They all rebounded.

More importantly, I surveyed Vickery's cats and their judgement was unanimous.

giphy.gif

Even the third quarter, when the cats got going, was impressive. The players on the field managed to organise themselves and stop the run.
Stop the run...what after the 8th straight?

OzJohnnie

Cancelled
Hawthorn Hawks - Conor Nash Player Sponsor 2017 Hawthorn Hawks - James Cousins Player Sponsor 2017 Hawthorn Hawks - Kaiden Brand Player Sponsor 2017
Feb 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Stop the run...what after the 8th straight?

Sure. Geelong kept Danger in the middle and lifted their run straight up the guts. We had the youngsters playing in the middle and they got smashed. But they managed to slow Geelong just after the midpoint of the quarter and managed to retake the lead and play Geelong even in the fourth.

And the last play was all junior players.

I reckon it was a good showing. Despite being kicked pretty hard in the teeth they managed to stand up and give some back. And the win. It was a confidence boosting result for me.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I have no complaints at all about that match. I was thoroughly impressed. The first half was obviously great skill-wise, but I was really impresssed with how well the players ran off the ball and maintained structure.

Even the third quarter, when the cats got going, was impressive. The players on the field managed to organise themselves and stop the run. And then the same guys managed to pull a win in the fourth. Ball skills, decision making and structures were all good.

So I fault no one. Not even poor Doc and Pitt. That third quarter when these two got caught a couple times was a test for everyone. They all rebounded.

More importantly, I surveyed Vickery's cats and their judgement was unanimous.

giphy.gif
watched first half. concur. 4 of our best to come back.

Our fwd structure looks much better than last year. very imposing.

Those wanting Schoey out need their head read. He and Vickery were a great team.

And Sizzle Pops - what a duo.

Aug 13, 2006
Thailand
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks.
Poppy is making opponents over think like Cyril does

Noticed a few cats approaching rough after the game
Good to see

Danger went up to him before the game. I am a danger fan, has a lot of likeable points, his smiling at things that didn't go his way, is like Cyril. However, I wonder how long before he becomes a grump like his captain and coach. Don't change Danger.

11sjw

Cancelled
10k Posts Armchair Endzone Participant
May 13, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Meh
watched first half. concur. 4 of our best to come back.

Our fwd structure looks much better than last year. very imposing.

Those wanting Schoey out need their head read. He and Vickery were a great team.

And Sizzle Pops - what a duo.
Agree re the Schoey comments. The way I see it two of he, TV and Rough down there Gunston will have a field day. Given the way Gunner schooled Rampe in the '14 GF you'd think he'll make most 3rd tall defenders look ordinary this season.

OzJohnnie

Cancelled
Feb 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Agree re the Schoey comments. The way I see it two of he, TV and Rough down there Gunston will have a field day. Given the way Gunner schooled Rampe in the '14 GF you'd think he'll make most 3rd tall defenders look ordinary this season.

Schoey has long been my whipping boy, but his hard work this pre-season looks to make me eat some crow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
I rewatched the game, and the second half we had only Frawley and Roughead playing their "normal" roles, with everyone else out of position

Great learning curve for the kids who were forced to lead rather than follow

Sat down to watch the first half without really focussing on any players, without looking for anyone in particular, just see who pops up. It seemed to me that the game was run by the usual senior players - Smith, Shiels, ROugh, Birch, Cyril etc. Eventually I took note of Miles. Looked pretty good. Vickery was noticeable without doing a great deal. There were little cameos from many of the new(er) players without being outstanding.

No doubt I missed a lot and will have to go back for another look.

Wandering Hawk

All Australian
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Bad timing for tim obrien and jon orourke to have injury issues, they needed a super clean run to build their more fragile confidence.

I was vaguely aware that they had niggles. What actually are the injuries, and how long do we think they're going to be out for?

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Start with the Positives... Well done roughy and Jager Great to see them both get thru...
midfield looked really good the first half.. i did notice birchall play alot more around the pill i like this great user and decision maker.
Great to See Shoey clunk a few and stepup!! he was injured last yr and having vickery around is free him up

i think our mids will be okay..

big one for me is our defence.. its fragile we are going to struggle against tall timber and our run out of defence is gone!
what has happened to duryea he use to be so clean!!
fumble fumble we cant afford this with stratton frawley and gibbo all lock down defenders we really need 3 clean elite fast users of the ball back there.

Aug 16, 2009
Right behind you!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Start with the Positives... Well done roughy and Jager Great to see them both get thru...
midfield looked really good the first half.. i did notice birchall play alot more around the pill i like this great user and decision maker.
Great to See Shoey clunk a few and stepup!! he was injured last yr and having vickery around is free him up

i think our mids will be okay..

big one for me is our defence.. its fragile we are going to struggle against tall timber and our run out of defence is gone!
what has happened to duryea he use to be so clean!!
fumble fumble we cant afford this with stratton frawley and gibbo all lock down defenders we really need 3 clean elite fast users of the ball back there.
It's practise match 1
Not really sure why anyone would take much notice
As long as they get miles in the legs, and no injuries, then it's a win for me

Watch the first half this morning.
Miles really put his hand up. Stewart, you know what you're going to get.

Sicily was pretty impressive reading the play and looked like he's given Clarko another true utility.

Langford may have turned the corner....fingers crossed.

Need to see more from Lovell, Burton and Hardwick who I thought didn't quite hit the game with the urgency or speed at all times that the level requires.

Vickery is going to provide a great target while also allowing less attention to be paid to Gunston, Rough, Schoe and other marking targets. Profit.

O'Meara has me excited.

Looking forward to seeing Tom, Bruest, Gunner, JOR and Hodge in the line up.

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's practise match 1
Not really sure why anyone would take much notice
As long as they get miles in the legs, and no injuries, then it's a win for me

obviously thats the idea of the preseason. great to see big rough n jager.
its just a aera where we struggled last yr and i didnt see to many changes to it yet.
good to see t.miles get a run.

I was vaguely aware that they had niggles. What actually are the injuries, and how long do we think they're going to be out for?
JOR had a calf for about 2-3 weeks...back in normal training now

The Offerman

All Australian
Oct 8, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Plethora of positives for mine. Most of them have already been touched on but the main highlight I took away was the big contested grab and goal from Schoenmakers.

Got shredded in contested ball once JOM went off, although I think this was due in part to McEvoy copping a hit to the guts/ bread basket then having his eye opened up on two separate occasions. Not overly concerned with the result, although the win was nice. More important to get through unscathed and hopefully see some good individual performances.

Shed a tear for old mate Roughead. So so happy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back