Preview Hawthorn v North Melbourne AAMI Community series clash, Saturday March 6th 4.10pm at Arden Street

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeah i think we need to be patient he will play pretty soon but i reckon not quite yet
Agree. Barring any mishaps in our backline, DGB will likely get a few games toward the back end of the season. Lack of fitness at the elite level may cost in the 1st half of the season.

Agree. Barring any mishaps in our backline, DGB will likely get a few games toward the back end of the season. Lack of fitness at the elite level may cost in the 1st half of the season.
He needs to put on a few kilos as well before he debuts from what I have seen.

No big deal, just a couple of months in the protein shakes and pasta should do it.

It is interesting to me that Clarko is stating that JOM and Mitchell need to be multidimensional players.

We were absolutely smashed out of the middle and around the stoppages last year so I feel like our biggest need right at the moment is to get contested ball winners in the middle. If we continually lose the centre breaks and clearances we will be behind the 8 ball for most games this year.

Given this is basically Mitchell and JOM's bread and butter it might speak to how little confidence Clarko has in our current midfield to do this?

I can see how a team that has a quality midfield unit with multiple high possession winners might need to farm out their excess mids to other positions on the ground (i.e. like Collingwood did with Phillips last year) but we are definetly not in that position at the Hawks at this very moment.

We essentially need all hands on deck in the middle to try and at least break even in the clearances.
We weren’t particularly crash hot in clearances during our golden era either. I think what Clarko was saying was that our best midfields at our peak were multi faceted and unpredictable, where we could rotate 8 or 9 players through in any given game. We’ve lost that a bit over the past few seasons and to help bring that back, Tom and JOM need to be able to play elsewhere at times.

He needs to put on a few kilos as well before he debuts from what I have seen.

No big deal, just a couple of months in the protein shakes and pasta should do it.
No idea what his core strength is like, but kilos is not generally the go to for us.

Hey guys, are there tickets available to the public or is it strictly members only?

Last edited:
Are the team selections for this game going to be announced on Friday?

What about the regular season. Will the AFL go back to the traditional Thursday night for announcing the teams for the week?

Listen to the podcast - it is quite an insightful and interesting 40 minute interview.
I wont get around to it.

O'Meara and Mitchell don't have the tools to play anywhere else. Neither can kick. Neither have a leap or breakaway speed. They find the footy in close, they are good at it.

FB: Hardwick, Hartigan, Greaves

HB: Day, Frost, Impey

C: Phillips, O’Meara, Downie

HF: Moore, O’Brien, Kosi

FF: Breust, Lewis, Brockman

R: McEvoy, Worpel, Shiels

Int Silk, Cuz, Cegs, Morrison

What about Phi
FB: Hardwick, Hartigan, Greaves

HB: Day, Frost, Impey

C: Phillips, O’Meara, Downie

HF: Moore, O’Brien, Kosi

FF: Breust, Lewis, Brockman

R: McEvoy, Worpel, Shiels

Int Silk, Cuz, Cegs, Morrison

Hanrahan a bit stiff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wont get around to it.

O'Meara and Mitchell don't have the tools to play anywhere else. Neither can kick. Neither have a leap or breakaway speed. They find the footy in close, they are good at it.

JOM is pretty quick and a good kick when he's on the outside, problem is he's almost exclusively playing inside

watch the R3 game vs Richmond and O'meara in the 1st quarter and tell me he can't kick when given time and space. Lace-out

O'Meara goes at a career average of 67% DE. He had his highest score involvements V Norf (5) and the Suns (4). He rarely kicks a goal and rarely takes a contested mark. He's a good solid mid. At 27 he's now going to become multi-dimensional. Why now? Why have they held him back?

Hey guys, are there tickets available to the public or is it strictly members only?
Well you should be able to get in at Arden St as there is no fence around it.

O'Meara goes at a career average of 67% DE. He had his highest score involvements V Norf (5) and the Suns (4). He rarely kicks a goal and rarely takes a contested mark. He's a good solid mid. At 27 he's now going to become multi-dimensional. Why now? Why have they held him back?
Because of personnel- had to throw him as a pure im for ages.

Listening to Clarko and reading between the lines on the pod, we’ve been doing that for the past few years and the results speak for themselves. It’s not working. We need to return to a structure that will help us compete with the better teams. That includes Tom and JOM finding more strings to their bows.

Listening to Clarko and reading between the lines on the pod, we’ve been doing that for the past few years and the results speak for themselves. It’s not working. We need to return to a structure that will help us compete with the better teams. That includes Tom and JOM finding more strings to their bows.
I really wish everyone on here would listen to the podcast. It is really informative and would put everyone at the same start line for discussions. 😉

we did it to Sam Mitchell at 30, Burgoyne at 36, McEvoy at 30, Lewis at ~28

not the same calibre of player as those but no reason JOM can't do it at 27 during his peak athletic years

Because of personnel- had to throw him as a pure im for ages.

I really wish everyone on here would listen to the podcast. It is really informative and would put everyone at the same start line for discussions. 😉

as Clarko says in the podcast, it was mostly due to personnel and a lack of depth — by making JOM and Titch more versatile players it

1). gives us more depth in a number of positions
2). prolongs their careers
3). gives us more options on gameday
4). allows players like Finn, Moore, Howe etc. to get opportunities where they've been stifled of them during the past 4 years

so while it may not be the smoothest transition and they may not be the best half-back/outside mid or whatever i think these 4 reasons outweigh that quite substantially

we did it to Sam Mitchell at 30, Burgoyne at 36, McEvoy at 30, Lewis at ~28

not the same calibre of player as those but no reason JOM can't do it at 27 during his peak athletic years

Burger has always played pretty much anywhere. Mitchell went to a back flank to distribute the footy. Lewis spent years refining his running style, shedding kilos to play a running game.

O'Meara and Mitchell are going to multi-skill where? What skills do they have outside of being an inside ball gatherer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back