Preview Hawthorn v North Melbourne AAMI Community series clash, Saturday March 6th 4.10pm at Arden Street

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
SO we can play Brockman who hasnt earned his stripes at all. Yet not give other young guys ago in the preseason. Talk about double standards.

If Brockman is looking good on the training paddock and then does well in a practice match as he has so far - if he was to be selected against and once more play well against Norf - how exactly has he not earned his stripes? Finn doesn't get an automatic pass because he's been on the list a year longer and was a F/S pick.

Finn is currently a victim of circumstance. He is competing for midfield time against a Brownlow medalist, a 19 year old best and fairest winner and a former rising star winner. If he was drafted to Carlton 2 years ago when they desperately needed help for Patty Cripps he probably would have played every game in his first season. Just the way it goes sometimes.

He will add a few strings to his bow in the VFL early this season and may make a return to the seniors as a wing/mid hybrid, funnily enough much like his comparison JPK is currently doing at Sydney.

Finn is currently a victim of circumstance. He is competing for midfield time against a Brownlow medalist, a 19 year old best and fairest winner and a former rising star winner. If he was drafted to Carlton 2 years ago when they desperately needed help for Patty Cripps he probably would have played every game in his first season. Just the way it goes sometimes.

He will add a few strings to his bow in the VFL early this season and may make a return to the seniors as a wing/mid hybrid, funnily enough much like his comparison JPK is currently doing at Sydney.

I think some here just have a really bad case of JPK PTSD. They just need to breath and hope that Finn develops the next couple of years.

Who gives a fu** what Big Footy thinks??? WTF has that got to do with your point?

Unless you are saying that Clarko should play Finn because...Big Footy?

And what the hell has the fact the some on Bigfooty got irate when Day was drafted have to do with Finn? Quoting the fact that Bigfooty got something wrong as proof that Finn should play is going beyond the realms of rationality.

An like Clarko listens to you.
I simply answered your question.
If you do not like the comment,

I respect what you are saying, an if our midfield was winning i would agree.

Despite the big names for three years we are continuing to get flogged at the centre. An i think Finn offers something our current mid does not have, pace.

Despite the big names for three years we are continuing to get flogged at the centre. An i think Finn offers something our current mid does not have, pace.

So does Billy Hartung - want to throw him in our inside mids mix though?

So your rationale for Finn playing is:

1. Kid
2. Pace

Despite Clarko saying he isn't ahead of any of the current inside midfielders and most of the pre-season training viewers not noting that he's screaming for selection out on the track. Throwing him to the wolves when he's not regarded by the coaching staff as good enough to play inside midfield for us at the moment doesn't exactly sound like it will do wonders for his development. Something tells me that Clarko, Mitchell, McRae and Bolton collectively have some runs on the board to know that Finn isn't up to it yet moreso than you do.

I personally feel that Wingard is the immediate resolution to that problem. Potentially becomes Finn's responsibility come seasons end depending on his development in the reserves.

Finn and other youngsters lost 12 months development without Box Hill. It's like 2021 is his first year. Mitchell will be helping his development, so we can look forward to Box Hill reports.

I personally feel that Wingard is the immediate resolution to that problem. Potentially becomes Finn's responsibility come seasons end depending on his development in the reserves.

Just hope Chad's body holds up this year - he is bloody crucial to our midfield having some flexibility. When he played more midfield minutes in late 2019 it made a huge difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one thought Day would make a impact in the 2020 AFL season either. An look what happened when he was given a decent go.
So let me get this straight...

BigFooty armchair experts didn't think Day looked physically ready, but the coaches who worked with him every day thought he was and were proved right when he delivered.

And you believe that this helps support your position as one of those BigFooty armchair experts that Finn, who does look physically ready, is being wrongly overlooked by those very same coaches who also work with him every day?

So does Billy Hartung - want to throw him in our inside mids mix though?

So your rationale for Finn playing is:

1. Kid
2. Pace

Despite Clarko saying he isn't ahead of any of the current inside midfielders and most of the pre-season training viewers not noting that he's screaming for selection out on the track. Throwing him to the wolves when he's not regarded by the coaching staff as good enough to play inside midfield for us at the moment doesn't exactly sound like it will do wonders for his development. Something tells me that Clarko, Mitchell, McRae and Bolton collectively have some runs on the board to know that Finn isn't up to it yet moreso than you do.

Working on your theory there is no need for bigfooty, as no one can have an opinion.

Working on your theory there is no need for bigfooty, as no one can have an opinion.

Stop bloody crying on this point. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and everyone is equally as entitled to an opinion on your opinions.

Your opinions are based on bugger all - people countering your opinion are correctly weighing up what the 4-time premiership coach of our club has had to say on the matter as well as the input by people who take their time to go to training and give us detailed reports. Don't come crying because people are rightly asking you to justify your opinions.

So let me get this straight...

BigFooty armchair experts didn't think Day looked physically ready, but the coaches who worked with him every day thought he was and were proved right when he delivered.

And you believe that this helps support your position as one of those BigFooty armchair experts that Finn, who does look physically ready, is being wrongly overlooked by those very same coaches who also work with him every day?

What i am saying is for the last three years we have had the same big name midfield that does not work together. We are being smashed in the centre and backing these guys as a unit in is not working.

This part of the reason why were finishing in low positions on the ladder. Which indicates to me our set up is not working.

Yes i think Finn can be a part of that solution in the midfield.

You can all ignore the fact were getting smashed in the centre if you like. How ever if we want to get back to winning we need to over come our midfield weakness. An yes i think youth is the answer, an we need to players who do not offer all the same thing.

You can all sit here and smash me for backing in youth and Finn. Really most of you critics have of you not addressed our weakness at all.

An saying Clarko nows better is BS, this is a forum for talking about our Hawks.

Can you PLEASE type AND, just one additional letter. I beg you!

You're right bigfooty is a choice, not a need, though i'm sure the chief wants it to be a need.

As for our opinions, yeah we can have them, doesn't make them right or wrong.

Clarko has his vision and he fits the players into his vision, sometimes this can seem like playing favs, he has 4 flags because he doesn't budge on his position, if all we have got to whinge about is a perceived bias over who he prefers in the side, that he coaches, then we are extremely lucky.

I can live with it, without digging a bunker to defend my opinion, and I have a feeling this is all the other posters are really saying.

Yeah I know, early signs look good for Brockman and especially Downie. But who knows how it will play out.

I thought Morrison was pretty good (and so was Howe). Ollie kicked 3 so you can't really argue with that. Having said I don't think any of them should be in the team come that end of the season.

I think Brockman is being over hyped (which will upset some who have attached themselves to his success), i also think Maginness is over hyped, i remember people saying he was pick 6 worthy, which is crazy, but i was desperate to see him play last year for 2 reasons, to see if he could handle the step up to the next level and to see if the combine testing would translate to better performances on field, unfortunately it doesnt seem he has and the combine results dont translate as well as people think to actually playing the game.

What i am saying is for the last three years we have had the same big name midfield that does not work together. We are being smashed in the centre and backing these guys as a unit in is not working.

This part of the reason why were finishing in low positions on the ladder. Which indicates to me our set up is not working.

Yes i think Finn can be a part of that solution in the midfield.

You can all ignore the fact were getting smashed in the centre if you like. How ever if we want to get back to winning we need to over come our midfield weakness. An yes i think youth is the answer, an we need to players who do not offer all the same thing.

You can all sit here and smash me for backing in youth and Finn. Really most of you critics have of you not addressed our weakness at all.

An saying Clarko nows better is BS, this is a forum for talking about our Hawks.
Let me give you a bit of advice everyone has an opinion. However inform yourself before you sprout it. Look up KPIs. Everything is measured at the club. Decisions on selection are based on comparing players and these KPIs. It is a lot more objective than saying that Finn is young and I BELIEVE he will make us better if he plays. You have no empirical data.

I think Brockman is being over hyped (which will upset some who have attached themselves to his success), i also think Maginness is over hyped, i remember people saying he was pick 6 worthy, which is crazy, but i was desperate to see him play last year for 2 reasons, to see if he could handle the step up to the next level and to see if the combine testing would translate to better performances on field, unfortunately it doesnt seem he has and the combine results dont translate as well as people think to actually playing the game.
Brockman may be overhyped but he has the skills and agility to succeed in the position he plays.

We usually use the final game before the season starts to test the best 22-24 players as a dress rehearsal/final analysis of who is pushing hardest for R1.
I think we'll see all of Kosi, DGB, Downie, Brockman, & maybe Maginness play in this one.
With that in mind I think we'll see several debut's in R1- when was the last time we had a draftee debut in R1?

Following from that, when was the last time we had multiple debuts in R1?

so did Cameron Stokes
ahh no Cameron Stokes is a vastly different player to Brockman. Brockman's evasiveness, agility, acceleration and kicking skills are on another level. We do not have many players on a list that can lace out a forward on the run. All he lacks now is exposure to VFL / AFL and he should be playing games for Hawthorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back