Preview Hawthorn v North Melbourne AAMI Community series clash, Saturday March 6th 4.10pm at Arden Street

Status
Not open for further replies.
What i am saying is for the last three years we have had the same big name midfield that does not work together. We are being smashed in the centre and backing these guys as a unit in is not working.

This part of the reason why were finishing in low positions on the ladder. Which indicates to me our set up is not working.

Yes i think Finn can be a part of that solution in the midfield.

You can all ignore the fact were getting smashed in the centre if you like. How ever if we want to get back to winning we need to over come our midfield weakness. An yes i think youth is the answer, an we need to players who do not offer all the same thing.

You can all sit here and smash me for backing in youth and Finn. Really most of you critics have of you not addressed our weakness at all.

An saying Clarko nows better is BS, this is a forum for talking about our Hawks.
I suggest you read a few more of the coaches reports that have come out of the club this pre-season. They are very aware that our midfield setup is stale and not functioning to the standard they expect.

Clarko has literally said we need to get more players rotating through the midfield like we did in 2013. This means we'll see guys like Breust, Phillips, Morrison, etc going through there this year. Now I know you're already thinking that none of these guys are as good centre clearance mids as Finn will be - which will hopefully be very true. But currently he is not, and even if for the sake of argument his ball winning ability is superior he still has deficiencies in his game that mean he is currently more of a liability than an asset to the side. Once he's improved those things he'll be in the side.

I think Brockman is being over hyped (which will upset some who have attached themselves to his success), i also think Maginness is over hyped, i remember people saying he was pick 6 worthy, which is crazy, but i was desperate to see him play last year for 2 reasons, to see if he could handle the step up to the next level and to see if the combine testing would translate to better performances on field, unfortunately it doesnt seem he has and the combine results dont translate as well as people think to actually playing the game.

In fairness Davo, I am overly attached to the success of anyone on the list.

I suggest you read a few more of the coaches reports that have come out of the club this pre-season. They are very aware that our midfield setup is stale and not functioning to the standard they expect.

Clarko has literally said we need to get more players rotating through the midfield like we did in 2013. This means we'll see guys like Breust, Phillips, Morrison, etc going through there this year. Now I know you're already thinking that none of these guys are as good centre clearance mids as Finn will be - which will hopefully be very true. But currently he is not, and even if for the sake of argument his ball winning ability is superior he still has deficiencies in his game that mean he is currently more of a liability than an asset to the side. Once he's improved those things he'll be in the side.

This is what cracks me up. People keep saying 'WhO CaReS WhAt ClArKo SaYs' when he is basically answering their musings in that interview he did.

I think Brockman is being over hyped (which will upset some who have attached themselves to his success), i also think Maginness is over hyped, i remember people saying he was pick 6 worthy, which is crazy, but i was desperate to see him play last year for 2 reasons, to see if he could handle the step up to the next level and to see if the combine testing would translate to better performances on field, unfortunately it doesnt seem he has and the combine results dont translate as well as people think to actually playing the game.

There are likely too many expectations on him given where he was picked, but his draft number ceases to be relevant if he plays good football. He did a few nice things in the intraclub and has been training well, in a position where we need players like him.

Also - on Finn, it's not that he hasn't stepped up to the next level because as the coaches have repeated ad infinitum, they want him to show versatility before he plays a lot of seniors. It's his second year in, his first year was a write off and he's not been able to show whether the combine testing translates well or that he can step up to the level.

Who exactly said he was pick 6 worthy? I think there were people concerned he would be taken in the first round, but I don't recall anyone claiming him to be a pick 6 talent.

This is what cracks me up. People keep saying 'WhO CaReS WhAt ClArKo SaYs' when he is basically answering their musings in that interview he did.
Yeah, what would the longest serving and most successful coach of his generation know about coaching a footy side?

thehardway

Team Captain
Aug 23, 2009
Oakleigh
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just my opinion but I think that no VFL competition in 2020 impacted Finn more than most other young players. With his elite aerobic capacity and mature body a season of VFL footy learning the way Clarko wants him to play would have done him wonders. As it stands there is no way he plays ahead of our current midfielders. Just need to be patient and get a few VFL games under his belt. As Clarko said he'll get his opportunity if he ticks the right boxes.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
What i am saying is for the last three years we have had the same big name midfield that does not work together. We are being smashed in the centre and backing these guys as a unit in is not working.
2018 - middle of the road clearance team in a year we made finals (no Worpel until very late in the year and wasn't really a midfielder)
2019 - worst clearance team in the league (small matter of missing the reigning Brownlow Medallist)
2020 - 2nd worst clearance team (first year that Mitchell, Worpel and O'Meara all played together)

If it was 3 years in a row with the same midfielders i would agree that changes like trying Finn in there need to be made. But in reality it was 1 year when we didn't handle hub life and had a ruckman who was constantly dominated.

Feb 6, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
In 2018 we finished 4th (Can't be broken this year). In 2019 our Brownlow Medalist broke his leg and we had to rejig the midfield we finished 9th (Worpel won the BnF). In 2020 we had Mitchell returning from a broken leg and struggled to find cohesion in the midfield. Partly due to Ceglar being injured and Worpel/Mitchell not gelling as well looking for the same ball.

Let's see how a midfield that helped us finish 4th three years ago go early in 2021 before having a meltdown.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
There are likely too many expectations on him given where he was picked, but his draft number ceases to be relevant if he plays good football. He did a few nice things in the intraclub and has been training well, in a position where we need players like him.

Also - on Finn, it's not that he hasn't stepped up to the next level because as the coaches have repeated ad infinitum, they want him to show versatility before he plays a lot of seniors. It's his second year in, his first year was a write off and he's not been able to show whether the combine testing translates well or that he can step up to the level.

Who exactly said he was pick 6 worthy? I think there were people concerned he would be taken in the first round, but I don't recall anyone claiming him to be a pick 6 talent.

yea i agree, too many expectations, we need him to settle into the club and see where he goes in the next couple of seasons, he could be good or not, depends on if he can average more poss or find a role within the team.

the pick 6 thing was a draft watcher who rated him most of the year at pick 6 and i had him mid/late-20's (where he eventually got drafted) and i thought first round was too high but a lot of draft watchers said he was likely late first round, we had a few disagreements over it before the draft happened, but in saying that i undersold Downie last year hoping we got a bargain lol.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wasn't super coach related- more just a fan of the game.
Thanks for the response!

1614826079172.jpeg

Plod this Gerald Healy

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks

Overall the sum of the midfield parts seems superior to the unit's output as a whole. Needs to be the other way round

We usually use the final game before the season starts to test the best 22-24 players as a dress rehearsal/final analysis of who is pushing hardest for R1.
I think we'll see all of Kosi, DGB, Downie, Brockman, & maybe Maginness play in this one.
With that in mind I think we'll see several debut's in R1- when was the last time we had a draftee debut in R1?

Following from that, when was the last time we had multiple debuts in R1?
1925 we had a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back