Hawthorn v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

The only thing that matters is premierships.

GF’s, win/loss, the appearance of being dominate is all meaningless.

If the Tigers win a three-peat then we can argue whose was better.

Right now it’s Richmond’s to lose. They are awesome and all that’s left is to make it count by winning premierships. The pressure is on them. They seem invincible but they have a major chink in their armour. They haven’t been challenged. The Hawks lost 2012 and it burned into them and probably is why we won a three-peat. We also had an amazing coach who overcame three gameplans, interstate finals, major injuries and personal health issues to do it. Adversity to the max. Geelong had the heartbreak of 2008 and it made them win an incredible flag in 2009, to compliment their 2007 and 2011 flags. The Swans won in 2012 against all odds in one of the all time best premiership wins. There are so many stories here.

What is Richmond’s story? They are awesome and beat the Crows. It’s still being written but I’d be really concerned as a Richmond fan, given all at stake that my team hasn’t been challenged. Finals bring out extraordinary things. Nick Davis, ‘I see it but I don’t believe it!’. Richmond have simply not been challenged so far and this year has proven one thing, footy is a remarkable game. The Hawks and Swans are fighting for 4th in an epic this Saturday night. The victor will be battle hardened and full of belief. The Cats will scrape in possibly belonging in the top 4. Melbourne have hit their straps at exactly the right time and are seriously scary. Collingwood are just something inexplicable and could do anything. They will be challenged and when they are they are going to face something they haven’t yet before. They may prevail but history says success requires failure. It’s theirs to lose.

Hawthorn 13-15 didnt give you much to hope for. They were a great team for many years. If Richmond have to travel for a prelim they wont make the GF. You wouldn't say the same of Hawthorn.

well said.. Hawthorn would continually go over to Adelaide and beat very good port and crows sides, win in sydney... win finals in perth etc..

Tigers have to 3 peat to be put in convo and win 4 to be better imo

Don't get me wrong, any flag is magnificent and wonderful, but to sustain that over successive years is ridiculously difficult, and that was proved again this year. It is the defining factor of a truly great teams.

To do it 3 times in a row is beyond words.

It is good to know that some of the old truths that we grew up with are still real.

Back-to-Back is not easy.

They wouldn’t have got close to this one:
Guerra Lake Stratton
Burgoyne Gibson Birchall
Smith Mitchell Hill
Breust Roughead Rioli
Gunston Hale Franklin
McEvoy Hodge Lewis
Sewell Shiels Puopolo Frawley
X 3 with a few changes here and there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn 13-15 didnt give you much to hope for. They were a great team for many years. If Richmond have to travel for a prelim they wont make the GF. You wouldn't say the same of Hawthorn.
🙂

A five year bump... this thread could get interesting if fans of a certain club start piling on. One already has.

With it all said and done, Hawthorn were better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back